can someone please tell me the difference between hydrocodone and tylenol 3 codine? i have taken them both but they affect me differently. the hydrocodone works so much better but ive heard there really is no difference. the tylenol 3 codine dont work well for my pain and makes my stomach hurt but the hydrocodone works very well and i have no side effects from it. thanks.

Hydrocodone (Vicodin) is a stronger opiate formulation than Tylenol 3 w/codeine. SWIM doesn't know the science, but SWIM get stomach aches from Tylenol 3's vs. actually getting a slight euphoric feeling when taking a Vicodin or five and a couple of beers. XD Disclaimer: You should not mix alcohol and opiates or any medication that has a warning label on the original bottle. ;-) The Vicodin does make SWIM itch more.

The last poster is correct, but to add a bit more info - Vicodin is hydrocodone + acetaminophen (Tylenol), and Tylenol #3 is Codeine + acetaminophen. Codeine and hydrocodone are both opiates, though codeine is fairly weak and causes a lot of stomach upset and constipation. Despite what you heard OP there is a difference. Tylenol #3 and codeine in general are not prescribed much anymore these days.

thats a bit of an oversimplyfication. codeine is a prodrug, which means its not effective in its initial form, and is the second most common type of alkaloid in opium. Our bodies convert codeine into morphine to then ingest it. On other hand, hydrocodone and oxycodone are opioids synthesized usually out of Thebain, "a minor constituent of opium, thebaine is chemically similar to both morphine and codeine, but has stimulatory rather than depressant effects." (wikipedia lol) Oxycodone is metabolized in the body by converting a part of it to oxymorphone, and hydrocodone into hydromorphone (among other things).. thats where it gets even more complicated, but that is the idea in a nutshell. Also, snorting or shooting hydro or oxy is very efficient, while shooting codeine f.e. can kill u. They are entirely different beasts..

Sure seems like hyrocodone would burn like crazy to nort. Why do people do that? Is it stronger that way? Or easier on tummy?

Swim has lots of experience putting powder up his nose. From experience Vicodin can be snorted taste like sh*t lots of powder do to fillers. Swim experience same affect weather snorted or chewed.

People acually snort hydro????? Why??

okay hydro codein i thot was made with Ibuphophen and not acetametphen? isnt that why people prefer hydros because it does not make your stomach hurt as much.and T3 is made with acetametaphen and codein. i learnd t3 is not as harsh if u always eat with it.

I have rheumatoid arthritis and fibromyalgia I was on norco now with all the new laws in effect my doctor asked me which one I wanted norco or tylenol3 .i thought I give it a try,never taking tylenol3 before but let me tell you it does nothing for my pain.wouldnt the doctor know that? So crazy now I have to wait 2 weeks before I can see my doctor to go back to norco.thats craz

Hydrocodone does have Tylenol in it but they do make it with ibuprofen (usually called "vicoprofen") as well, it's just not prescribed much.

Interesting for sure. The VA, at least my PCP is NO LONGER INTERESTED in prescribing hydrocodone5 and instead is EXCLUSIVELY using Tylenol#3 with codeine. A lot of us Veterans are allergic to codeine, bad reactions [won't go into details due to privacy concerns!], however Tylenol#3 w/ codeine does NOT work for pain relieve anywhere as efficient as hydrocodone...PERIOD!!!

I have so much neck pain and possibly need surgery. I have been given Naproxen, Sulindac, Flexeril, Tylenol 3 w/codeine, & now Tramadol (all on separate visits)! None of which help my pain! The Flexeril and Tylenol 3 knock me out and I have children so that's not gonna work. Tramadol keep me awake but don't touch this pain. I know for a fact hydrocodone will work but I don't wanna ask for it cause I will look like a dopey; considering it is on my chart that I use to smoke marijuana years ago. What the hell is a girl to do?

I have the very same reaction as you. Hydrocodone worked great for my chronic pain; it allowed me to have a life. As far as becoming addicted---I've run out and not taken it for up to 3 weeks, with no problems....other than stomach upset from taking the over-the-counter drugs. Which don't work well any way. The doctor just changed me to Tylenol 3, it gives me a headache, stomach upset and doesn't relieve the pain effectively.

Just wanted to thank you for your service and I hope your pain gets manageable as well as any other traumas you're facing!

You seem very intelligent if I took an opana 10 illegally and take tylenol3 legally will they not both show up as an opiate in a urine test