Hi! I used some time Ativan, but doctor prescribed me Klonopin. I have serious withdrawal effects. Is Klonopin better than Ativan?

Hi! I used Ativan. Ativan could produce withdrawal reactions, if the drug is discontinued rapidly. For some time I use Klonopin. I think that Klonopin is much better. I feel better. You should try Klonopin. After some time you will see difference. Klonopin, works quickly, reduces anticipatory anxiety. Some patients develop depression while taking Klonopin. Drowsiness, fatigue, unsteadiness, also could occurs in the first two weeks. You should talk with your doctor about side effects.

Only switch to Klonopin if you are going to try to withdrawal from all the drugs.

Ativan is an extremely fast-acting drug. It is in and out of your body quickly. That is why your body can start screaming for more within a short period of time. I know because I went through daily withdrawal from this drug without knowing it, for 9 months. It was hell.

Since switching to Klonopin, I have been able to taper off easier than on Ativan. My doctor told me I would always relapse on the Ativan if I tried to kick it because the withdrawal symptoms are so bad. The Klonopin has a much longer half-life, therefore stays in your body longer. Your body doesn't scream for it as quickly, like the Ativan, and you can deal with the withdrawal better.

You must taper slowly. Ask your doc for the .25 mg or .125 mg disolvable tablets. Take all the time you need, even if you feel like it's taking forever.

Most of all, don't stay on either drug if you absolutely don't have to!

Good luck,
SMB

I have been on Lorezepam for almost 2 months. I had cut down my dose to 0.5 mg and wanted to withdraw from it completely.
I tried not taking it for couple of nights and I could not sleep and had felt weird and more anxious.
My doctor has moved me to clonazepam, 0.5 mg. I just started taking it and I feel better during the day time.
How long would it make it get off clonazepam? How much time should I give ?

I usually take it orally. But I have tried snorting it. Not sure if it did anything though, except for clear out my sinuses and make my nose feel all cool and peperminty like. Its not bad unless you snort too much. Hope this helps.

the good thing about ativan is, it does not make you feel suicidal the next day. I have depression and when I take a klonopin, the next day I feel so down and sometimes suicidal, my doc said that that is a common side effect. no thanks! Now I take ativan and never experience that awful side effect. It's just too bad that ativan has a shorter half life :/

I'm sorry...whats a half life? I'm new this whole thing.

Try weed, much better than both. And won't kill you in an overdose.

Only thing that has worked is EMPowerplus

***this post is edited by moderator *** *** web addresses not allowed***Please read our Terms of Use

. Chelated and natural ,takes away anxiety and restores my nerves,no drug did this?

Q: Benefits between ativan and klonopin:

A: Hi, just wanted to let you know that I've tried all the different benzos for severe anxiety and initially started with klonopin (clonazapam) for over five years and it worked really well for me. Although, your body gets used to it, just like any of these types of meds, a doctor shouldn't start you on the highest dose. They should start you out smaller then work up as needed. I've taken the others, and they work alright, but the thing about clonazapam is that it is the longest lasting out of all of them. Ativan only lasts I don't know at the max 6-8 hours where clonazapam lasts for up to 24 hours. It may not stay as strong in your system the full 24 as it starts to break down, but anyhow, this has been my experience with it. Also, even though I was at the highest dosage for awhile and felt like I needed to move to something different because it wasn't having the desired effect anymore, I only needed a short break from taking it and am now back on it and am doing very well. I hope that in my long answer you will find something useful to take from it.

~Sammy

I have been taking ativan on and off for the past 6 years. ativan has a half life of about 4 hours so im told. its a medium acting benzodiazapine whereas klonopin is a longer acting benzo. i think it really just depends on the person. klonopin does absolutely nothing for my anxiety. its pretty weak unless the dose is high. ativan is stronger, lasts a decent amount of time and if taken sublinqually(under the tongue) can kick in as fast as 5 minutes so its great for those super aweful panic attacks. my dose of ativan was 1 mg four times a day and it really really helped, i have been on as much as 6mgs a day when times were really bad. one problem with all of the benzos is that after awhile your body just gets used to them and they arent as effective or you need a higher dose. a sign of addiction, and let me tell you dear the withdrawal from this drug is unbelievable, it was a living hell. i did it once on my own for 3 days and had to be taken to the hospital cause of no sleep and tachacardia where they put me on a taper but it was still pretty bad. i also detoxed off of it last year to try and do without it at roxbury treatment center in shippensburg pa, which was pretty far from home but its an excellent facility. they put me on a klonopin taper which helped with the phsysical withdrawal and aided in the mental aspect of it to. benzodiazapines are very dangerous drugs and should only be used when nothing else will work. like i said the withdrawal is living hell. so if you have a bad month and have to take extra doses and you run out too soon, your screwed, you either have to find it on the streets or go to the hospital. there are only 2 classes of drugs that you can die from the withdrawal from them. one is benzodiazapines and the other is alcohol. thats it. so please please be careful and use them exactly as perscribed.

Ten years ago my family doctor had my on 8 Klonapin a day (.5 mg). When I moved and started seeing a psychiatrist and got properly diagnosed she was shocked and the first thing she did was start weaning me off to a normal amount of Klonapin. I now take 3 a day and sometimes just 2. The 3rd is only if the day is very stressful but I only take that if it is really needed. I am finding that more and more I am able to get through the day with only two. I also take Cymbalta and Topamax. I will also say that the Klonapin helps with my Restless Leg Syndrome. Ativan did nothing for me. But like I say, I have been on them for 10 years now. I don't think I will ever be completely off of them because of my severe anxiety but it keeps the anxiety under control. And the Cymbalta also has something for anxiety in it. I found that out when I missed taking that for a few days. It does make a difference.

A friend of mines daughter has been on Xanax and Ativan and I have seen the effects and the withdrawls and it is awfully scary. I hope this has helped.

ativan for me is bettter especially when i get withdrawls

if u r schizophrenic weed is not a good option but snorting klonopin is ok but i prefer crushing it up let it disolve under your tongue

My ativan side effects were severe, there is really a lot to be said on this topic online.  http://ativansideeffects.com/