I am wondering if anyone has experienced hair loss as a result of using Klonopin. I took a low dose (1mg) of Klonopin approximately 3x weekly (before presentations) for 5 months. I noticed severe shedding during this time, and have recently had to cut about five inches off. I completely stopped taking this drug in early December, but my hair continues to shed (though not as much). Has anyone experienced a similar problem? And if so, how soon can I expect the shedding to stop? I don't mind the anxiety of having to give presentations if it means that I get to keep my hair.

Divah

Hi Newbie,

I recently started taking klonopin as well...going through a possible divorce and am having sever anxiety. I started noticing my hair is shredding as well...luckily I have more hair than the average person, but I still don't want to lose it. I did a search to see if this was a side effect and found your post. I guess I'm not the only one having this problem. I am thinking of not taking it anymore either. I don't even take it everyday, just when needed, so I'm afraid of what will happen if I do take it regularly.

My husand is currently comming off of years on Klonpin. It's a real nightmare! His symptoms seem to be similar to most others but he has also experienced hairloss and he is really upset about it. Is there anyone that can advise us on their experience with hairloss and Klonopin withdrawl? Will is hairgrow back or is the permanent?

This is a very scary drug. Most people that are on it and like it don't realize what they have gotten themselves into until they decide to stop taking it. It's a really bad deal. It's chemically addictive and takes anywhere from months to years to totally get over. I have stood by and watched my husband take Klonopin now for years. It 's really sad how drugs like this can ruin your health and cause more damage to your mental and physical health. We take each day at a time right now...hopefully it won't last too much longer.

If any one knows about hairloss and konopin andit's possible regrowth please let me know.

Jp

I had taken Klomopin 1mg. x's a day for 4 yrs. While in the hospital for gallbladder surgery this past Dec. my Dr. decided to detox me off it. A NIGHTMARE! I have had significant hair-loss since. I too have no solutions but can share that every kind of expensive shampoo,conditioners,ect. do not do the trick. This medicine has put me through hell getting off of it. I did ask my dr. about it and she commented my hair-loss is probably due to the stress I'm once again experiencing since quitting the Klonopin.

I have been on the medication for around a decade and have experienced no hair loss. In my opinion, that's because the medication does not cause hair loss. Again, that is simply my opinion. However, I will say that I have moved all around the country during that time, have seen probably a dozen general practitioners as well as a dozen specialists, and NOT ONE ever said hair loss was even a possible side effect.

However, I would ask that those considering taking this medication in order to help their anxiety or for fun or whatever...PLEASE either stop before you get started or stop before you are dependent. It does help with anxiety, but it also has caused me severe problems, especially when I tried to stop taking the medication. If, when I tried to stop taking it, I had only been really sick for a month, that would have been fine. I quit taking 2 types of opiates cold turkey, both which I was legally taking and had been for 3-4 years. However, I grew tired of always feeling high and not being motivated to get off my ass and work, exercise, or simply live a full life. And while I was pretty sick for a few weeks from quitting those 2 medications without Dr. supervision, I made it through to the other side just fine and felt much better than I had in a while.

Unfortunately though, I wasn't able to kick the klonopin. I thought that medication was going to be the easiest of the 3 to stop taking, and I would experience little to no physical and/or psychological withdraw effects. Man was I wrong ... about everything. I went through the 3 worst weeks of my life during which I didn't sleep at all, hardly ate (I lost 10 pounds per week and I'm a thin guy), hallucinated for the first time in my life, didn't know what was real, etc., etc. Finally, my family came to the rescue (thank you God) and took me to an addiction specialist. Even he couldn't help me though and said that I need to go to an in-patient facility for 6 months to a year to safely kick the klonopin but I cannot afford it right now.

So that is my story. I know some people have to learn for themselves, but this medication is no joke. This medication has helped to ruin my career, 2 relationships with girls i loved (one was a marriage that ended in divorce), etc., etc. I'm currently living with my parents (God love them) and have nothing to look forward to in life. So if I could go back 10 years...I obviously would, b/c nobody needs the baggage that this medication carries with it. Thanks for listening/reading, and if you have any questions or advice, please feel free to let me know.

Quote:

I have been taking Klonopin for 18 years now, after being diagnosed with P.T.S.D. It has been a life saver in that I am able to live 'mostly' anxiety free. I don't foresee a time when i would go off of it. I have been through horrible withdrawals while deciding that I needed to go off. it would take months or years to get off it. To me the benefits outweigh the risk.

Yes it does cause Alopeia

I took klonopin for years and have had more hair loss years after going off than I had while taking it hair loss can also come from anxiety. So many other things cause hair loss that it is hard to pin point. Right now I have an enormous amount of hair loss after surgery. I hope that stops and that I regain the hair.

I too experienced the shedding unfortunately for me my hair never recovered and feels dry and lifeless. It may have something to do with the years I took the medication. Hopefully you will have better luck.

I just prescribed Klon and noticed immediate excess shedding lightly but obvious. Lamictal or Lexapro had me just brushing hair off my head in the shower ....I've also had medium thick but it's noticble. Now many say it's in our heads. Perhaps for some. For us unlucky the good news is the shed usually goes away. I know others who take these meds that have no shedding. I think with pharmas it may be a side effect some of us suffer with. From what I've read the hair loss is reversible. Also, make sure you are not low on vitamins like zinc and others... one pill that's so helpful if you cant get your diet right. Maxihair the best hair pill out there. I just added as palmetto to it which my be taken with oil. For me at this point I'm looking for growth that I lost.. I'd like to get my diet right...would be cheaper then pill. Example just read in magazine something simple like bowl of cheerios has nutrients that make hair grow....hope this adds some help.

Yes, the same thing happened to me after taking Klonopin just 7 times. My hair thinned in the front behind my bangs and temples.I am still trying to regrow it with rogaine. I have stopped taking this drug and will never take it again. the anti-anxiety drug caused more angst!

Yep, that's were my hair loss has occured BUT I think it cause it all over to. I only take 1mg. I take it at night for sleep. It is slightly helpful, I might quit taking it. My issue isn't just withe klonopin, I know lamictal caused it to....or lexapro. I mean I've NEVER taken drugs that cause hair loss so bad. In the shower my head was shedding like a vexed person. Again I did hear it is reversible. When I was taking a vitamin called maxi hair, I had zero shed. I quit takin it and now I'm regretting it. My doctor says maxi hair should be short term use only and that stress causes hair loss.

I think these pharma company's know it causes hair loss bad....and won't tell us because it will lose business. We are all proof klonopin causes major hairloss. My hair was shedding abnormally. My hair ties won't stay in. It sucks my scalp is more noticeable then ever. I'm stopping immed.

It is Feb 2015, I started Klonopin, Feb.2001, my granddaughter was born with No Kidney Funtion, experienced first of many Panic Attacks, my Dr perscribed me at 3mgs from start, never in 14 years had any dr I went to lowered or raised my dose or suggested I come off, my husband got Cancer in 2012, two years of Chemo,my brother died in the middle of all this, my grandaughter had transplant at22 months, years of Hosoital stays, Failure to thrive at one point, my son gave her a kidney and was a single father so Ieaned on me completely and still does, she just turned 14 Feb 1st,2015, I say all this to establish a pattern to my Addiction to this Poison..always upping and lowering my dose according to circumstances, my husband died in June, I hsd been maxing out plus , and on Celexa for depression, I will say i've taken celexa several times and stopped with ease, I decided 21/2 months ago after reading about early onset Dementia taking klonopin, had been having some memory problems I contributed to my life, all thru this my Drs told me I Could NOT come off this alone, and kept giving me same dose, i tried it cold turkey once and cutting down to fast, ending me in ER with a big ole shot of my Addiction!!!! The more I read the more I got determined to get off, read all these sites constantly looking for help, decided on the 1/4 reduction every 2 w,eeks,ill stop and say im a green eater, no meat, a runner, so staying healthy is very important to me, I started a 4 operation plan to get wore out feet fixed, so thought this was great time to do it as foot dr was scared to even do surgery,, Wrong, started tapering off, I take Visretil for sleep and I will ssy was only way made it thru those first 2 months...at two month mark was down to 3/4 of a mg,at each taper id have 2or3 days of Nightmare withdrawals and made it thru, the last taper I felt like I was having heart attack, I called my dr and told her what I'd done, she had me come into officeASP, I did and was shaking so bad she couldnt draw blood, she ask me to go into Crisis Center for 5days, she thought had came thru the worst but wanted ne montered thru the rest,B/P was Very high, then would drop way low, it is usually on low side, well 55 days turned into 16! They stop all Klonopin, Libreium is Detox meds,4 times daily got a coctail of 10mgs celexa morn and night,10mg Librium morn and night,50 mg Visteril 4x day, it is Non Habit forning, kept edge off, wss kept busy most of time, groups and such, had private room, but was No Hilton was Phoenix Center Crisis Center, twice they tried to back me off Librium, each time started shaking so b ad couldnt hold glass of water, this was the Worst it got, could feel my head clearing, appitite back, laughed, talked, read books, was NOT Hell I feared and NOT near as bad as I had at home, the 6th of march 2015 will be one month since checked in,3 months off, came home on same dose celexa, same visteril, which 2 days ago cut to 2 20mgs at bedtime, have slept better than I have in yesrs, lost 7 lbs, but weight was never a problem with me and Klonopin, had started noticing hair loss at higher doses, I take CoQ10 for that, so I hope this smallnbook helps someone else, A Please Dont do this Alone, it will get you in serious trouble, YOU can Do this just not alone, I feel great, sleepy at times and night sweats, thats it, take 2 weeks off if possible, check out Facilities in your area, no ins , no money at Phoenix Center okay., I have Medicare but was told will pay nothing, Good Luck.....

I just want to say that I respect you for posting this I am a user of klonopin as well I just started using klonopin a little over a year ago but have been a user of xanax for more than a decade and have never had I had any problems whatsoever with losing any of my hair during this annex and klonopin so I guess it's just the person itself I am now having some trouble with hair loss because it's rare Terry in my family but if it was because of the benzodiazapan that I had been taking for over a decade it would have shown up way before hand I started taking benzodiazapan when I was 23 years of age I am now 38 years old and just you noticed a year and a half ago that I had a problem with shedding of some hair which I am now getting help with so as I say and I will say it again and a brief summary started taking benzos when I was in my early twenties I am now 38 years old and what I have noticed is that I have had no problems with my hair and any of my twenties or in the majority of my thirties except for year and a half and when I went to the doctor and when I went to the hair loss clinic they said to me that everybody's different so maybe klonopin is not the right drug for you maybe you can go back to your doctor and ask what might help your panic attacks maybe a different drug then so maybe not a benzo at all.. my best wishes to you and good luck kimberly