This post is an extension of the

Bad withdrawal from klonopin thread.

Please continue posting within this thread.

I was diagnosed with epilepsy in 1997. My doc prescribed me Clonazepam in 2005 to address anxiety I was having because it was used as a "kicker" for seizure meds. I was taking 1 mg twice a day. I decided to come off in 2007 and made it to .5 mg once a day with no issues besides some anxiety for a day or two when i dropped the dosage. There seems to be a threshold at .5 mg per day that a lot of people seem to have major issues. I had to get back on, but only went up to .5 mg twice a day. I am going to try again to drop off going .25 mg at a time. I have come to realize that it will be a painful road, but now I know what to expect and am prepared to deal with it. Good luck to anyone who got on this and wants to get off. For those doing reteach on the drug...DON'T START IT! Hopefully all will go well and I will be able to post a success story here in a few months!

i have been from kpins to xanax and now back to kpins.

My prescribed dosage is 1mg 3x aday...

well there are times during the week that i may need to take more, sometimes i get more anxious one day then i will an other.

so usually...4 days before my script is supposed to be filled im short and i no longer have any meds left...and i cannot get it filled bc it is a schedule's drug.

i now see a better doctor about this.. and my usage is not STRICT...i use it when i need it. sometimes 1 aday sometimes 4 a day....

when i withdraw...my fingers are so numb...my body tingles all over...i have hot and cold sweats...im moody and i just neeed something to take this away.

i will come off of these someday... but i do not want to do it alone... i know i will need some type of help.... because i am dependent on them right now.

I was prescribed Klonopin for panic disorder in late 2000, 2mg daily (.5mg 4 times a day). The doctor tried to put me on several types of non-benzo drugs and nothing seemed to help. Then he prescribed Klonopin. Wow, I felt great! I was finally able to live a "normal" life. Little did I know how horribly addicting this med is. I didn't do any research on this drug prior to taking it, which was a huge mistake. If I had known how hard this was going to be to stop, I would have never taken it to begin with.

After a year or so, I began to read a lot about benzo's and Klonopin in particular. It was at this time I knew I had to get off this medication because of the amnesia type effect it was having on me. I couldn't (and still don't) remember half the things I said or did. (Not to mention the muscle weakness, hair loss, depression, etc.) Throughout the past 9 years I've tried to quit countless times. Once (in 2004) I was able to make it down to .5mg daily, but couldn't hang on. I look back now and think I was simply trying to come down to fast. It takes time, so don't rush it or your body won't have time to adjust.

In late 2008 I made another attempt and promised myself that I would do whatever it took to get off this drug. Today I can honestly say I did it! I was certain I would be a slave to this drug for the rest of my life, but I'm finally free!! I did it by reducing my dose .25mg a day and waiting 3 weeks before doing it again. I call these "steps". I always took a step on a Thursday. This way the withdrawal wouldn't hit me until Friday, and I would have the weekend to get through the worst of it before I had to go back to work on Monday. I won't lie, each step was really hard both physically and emotionally. I kept telling myself (and still do) that once I took a step closer to being off that I would never go back in the opposite direction as long as I wasn't going through debilitating withdrawals (cold turkey). The first few steps were really hard, but the last 3 (.75mg) steps were the worst. With each step I didn't sleep well for the first few nights, and for a week or so I would have a constant headache and have a very short temper. After two weeks I would feel "normal" again. I would then give it one more week and start the whole process over.

I want everyone to know that you can kick this drug if you want it bad enough. It's very hard, in fact it's the hardest thing I've ever done, but persist and don't give in. I truly wish anyone who is suffering from these types of medications can read this and find hope.

Any drug will have withdrawals. Never stop any drug cold turkey. It must be gradual. Just be patient. To help with the major anxiety, irritability, thoughts of hating everyone, being really pissed off all of the time-stomach problems, and more- I started taking PharmaGaba by Murray. Many drugs affect the gaba receptors in the brain. This particular form of GABA will cross the blood/brain barrier . It really helped me calm down for the first time in a long time. I got it at the Vitamin Shoppe. It is in chewable form.
Also, I am a Christian. I read my bible to let God talk to me through His word . I give my day to Him and ask Him to go before me and prepare a path for me. I basically pray the Lords prayer. This is very calming and relieves me from trying to change the things I can't and worry about things I have no control over. I take responsibility for most of my stuff but face it there are things we fret about that we have no control over. I just give those things to God.
I had to withdraw from Vicodin, Soma, Klonopin and Xanax- all given to me for fibromyalgia, back pain,dental work. Be patient, getting this stuff out of your system takes time. Don't listen to negative people who judge you. Surround yourself with supportive people. Tell the others to take a hike. Go to church,AA,NA- anywhere you feel support. I had to go into the hospital for medical detox, then volunteered for residential treatment.
It has been 10 months and not easy but I took these meds for years.

This is at least the fourth or fifth time I have been back to these postings on Klonopin withdrawal. I keep searching for an answer to when these withdrawals will end. I am on day 14 of withdrawals from the HORRIBLE drug!! I started out about 9-1/2 years ago on .5 mg. for restless leg syndrom. No, noone told me this was addicting, exact opposit. Yes, it did help but you do get intolerant to the drug and start taking more. I went up to 2 mg once a night about two years ago and went down to 1 mg and then to .5 cut that in half to .25 in the morning and .25 at night then cut the morning dose out and went down to .25 only at night. That seemed to work until I stopped taking the .25 mg at night and stopped. Yes, horrible withdrawels! Couldn't speak without my voice shaking terribly, heart felt like it was going to explode. Like I said I have been off of it for two weeks now but the withdrawels havent stopped. My shaking isn't as bad and my chest doesn't hurt as much but I do feel like I am going crazy. I still hear the sound of an ocean LOUDLY in my head, still have numbness, can't sleep, stiif neck and shoulders. Back hurts.

Does anyone know when this will stop??? I said I would never go back on this drug again but wondering if I should go back on 1/8th of a pill in the morning and 1/8th. at night and then still taper. I just feel like this will never end. I am fighting not going back on this pill because I am disgusted with myself for ever going on this in the first place. I try to warn people if I know they are going on it, DON'T DO IT!! Anything is better than these withdrawels! It is so sad that there are so many people going through this for so long. There should be some way to get off this without going through this H...! Please, if anyone can give me a glimpse of hope that I am almost out of this I can tough it out. My Dr.'s applaud me for going off of it but if they only knew how miserable I was. I am surprised I still can function at my job, it is not easy, believe me.

Please if there is anyone out there who got through this we all need to hear from you. Out of all these posts hardly anyone has made it. I want to make it and help others.

I had recently been trying desperately to withdraw from 1/2mg am, & 1mg at bedtime for several weeks to no avail. My Doctor says to go cold turkey and that I should be positive about getting off of the Klonopin after 4 years. Easier said than done. So I cut the am dosage to .25, and the pm to .75, and all hell broke lose. I must state that I also have Fibromyalgia, and am recovering from two spine surgeries in the past 3 years. Thus 24/7 pain from the surgeries, and now this Klonopin withdrawal HELL!!

Please help me with any and all advice anybody may have.

Thanks,
Gary
Nor Cal

So what's the secret? Go through al this physical and mental emotional hell to get off this drug? How long will the hell last, and can I doe from the withdrawal? I'm on 1/2 mg am, & 1mg at bedtime. Been on Klonopin for about 4 years. My Doc says to go cold turkey, and that nothing wil happen if I just, "stay with it." Is he right or not?

I am currently going through withdrawal hell. I took klonopin for about 2 years, almost every day (0.5 mg, 2-3 per day). I was forced to quit cold turkey when my doctor refused to refill my script because I owe their clinic too much money. The first few days were actually not bad...then about a week into it, the hell started. Severe flu-like symptoms, brain fogginess, severe muscle pain and stiffness (especially in my back, neck, and legs....and that feeling like you need to stretch...I can't lie still for more than a few seconds), insomnia, even with Advil PM and OTC sleeping pills. The muscle pain feels like it's in my bones or something, massage doesn't seem to help much. Oh, also major twitching and mood swings. I cracked and went to the ER, where the doctor told me it was IMPOSSIBLE for me to be having physical withdrawal symptoms after 72 hours., and refused to give me a prescription. I got a tad upset with him (resulting in a counselor coming in to talk to me).

It has now been well over a month, and the withdrawal is worse than ever. I don't have insurance anymore so I can't afford to keep going to doctors. I can't take this anymore. I hurt all the time, I only sleep 2-3 hours most nights, I've been really depressed...I've also been on antidepressants for about 6 years, which don't seem to help at all as far as lessening withdrawal....I'm at my wits' end. I don't really want to start taking klonopin again after so long without it, but I don't know what else to do. Will this ever stop??

I got off this drug. It was hard... I posted my experience up above. It was a long 9 years for me. It's been about a month since my last dose and I'm doing OK. I do have A LOT of anxiety, much more than before I was prescribed this med and some minor side effects. I've learned that it could take years before my brain "resets" itself. I'm going to tough it out.

DON'T cold turkey this med with as much as you take. You will fail. My best advice is to take it very slowly and proceed in steps. I did it by lowering my dose .25mg every 3 weeks. It was hard and I still experienced terrible side effects, but they weren't debilitating like going cold turkey would be. Your temper will be SHORT and a headache will persist for a week. After the second week you should feel better, but give it one more week before you lower your dose again.

YOU CAN DO IT!

There is no secret. I wish there was because I would like to know what it is myself. I have been taking Klonopin for almost 10 years. I was taking .5 mg everyday for the last year. Until March 2009, I decided to start tapering off of it. For one month I drop the dose to .375 mg. I went through some bad withdrawals for a few weeks and then leveled off. 3 days ago I decided it was time to take another .125 mg off. Leaving me with .25 mg a day. I divide that dose into .125 mg every 12 hours. I have been feeling really sick because of that minor drop. I am really tempted to goto the emergency room right now. My back is killing me, the left side of my body feels like it's all tensed up like a rubber band ready to break. I feel dizzy when I walk or turn my head to fast with a naseating delayed reaction. Also when I walk around, it feels like I'm on a boat floating over a rough ocean. I get hot flashes and heart palpitations/atrial flutter. I get a lump in my throat that comes and goes like there is something stuck in it. I have IBS and it feels like my bowels are being squeezed like someone is wringing out a wet wash rag. My stomach is so upset. Feels like there is a fire burning inside with ulcers surrounding it. Head is heavy, vision is blurred, muscles ache and tingle. I feel like electricity is zapping through my body. Mind is racing with worst scenario thoughts.
I find it hard to comfort myself, except knowing that once I rid myself of this medicine, I will be very happy :). I am doing this one month at a time. In the middle of May 2009 I will drop to .125 mg's a day. In June 2009 I will either drop to zero depnding on what happens, or drop to .0625 mg for an extra month in July 2009. Either way I plan on getting off this medicine by those time frames. Whether I feel like I'm dying or not.
I do have a few temporary fixes for the pain. Taking a warm bath works. Make sure it's not hot, or your muscles will tense up when you get out because of the air temperature difference. Keeping busy will help keep your mind off of the withdrawals. Opening your windows and letting a cool breeze fill the room can be very relaxing. If it's hot outside run the air conditioner and/or a fan to mimic a breeze. Drink a lot of water and stay away from stimulants like; Ciggarettes, caffeine, and energy drinks.

I am updating on my post before on withdrawing from klonopon after 9-1/2 years. It has been 3-1/2 weeks after I cut down from .25 to nothing. Horrible as I said before so I went to the Dr. yesterday. Even though I knew what they were going to say I will repeat it to everyone. The Dr. said I cut down to fast. I was only on the .25 for about 3 weeks down from .5 mg when I cut the .25 to nothing. If anyone is reading this, cut down slowly! I was alright at .25 mg splitting that in half in the morning and half at night but when I cut that toally out I made a mistake. I should have cut the .25 mg. down after I was on that dose for a month to 1/8 of a mg in the morning and 1/8 mg. at night. Stay on that for 4 weeks then cut the 18 mg. out in the morning and just go with 1/8th mg. at night. Stay on that for four weeks and cut the 1/8th to 1/16 for 4 weeks. Yes, you can split the pill down that far. I found out that there are wafers at .25 and .112 but you cannot split these. The Dr. said I should go back on maybe .25 mg.'s again for 4 weeks and then cut down as I mentioned above. That was yesterday. I bought a generic pm sleeping pill over the counter instead. The Dr. said it is made from a combination of tyleno and benadryl and that is not habit forming. I took wo of those pills last night and for the first time in 3-1/2 weeks I only woke up once. This morning I felt like the sleep did so much good for my body. I could really tell a difference. I was just a little bit groggy today but the mental boost from the sleep did so much good. I plan on taking only one of those tonight. I cut my klonopin into 1/8th pills to try to take only 1/8th at night but I held off because I wanted to take the sleeping table first. I am trying to give anyone help out there! Try this. A little sleep goes a long way. Yes, I still hear the ocean in my ears, having terrible arm and leg jerks at night and am still going through withdrawels but I can say that I am 50% improved. I already drink lots of water and keep busy but when I am watching TV is the worst because I tend to feel the symptons more. Even though I am very active and always on the go I still cannot stand to sit still. Oh yes, the Dr. also wanted to put me on other prescriptions to handle the withdrawels but then I would have to withdraw from them. I DON'T THINK SO!! I do also pray! Yes, God can do miracles but on his time. I know that and can live with that. I too tried to cut down about a year ago from 2 mg.'s to 1 and couldn't. I don't know why I could cut down from 2 to 1 to .5 to .25 this time and be alright. Maybe a body changes as we get older. Who knows. I am bound and determined to not go back on even 1/8 of a mg. but I will think about it if I can get rid of these withdrawels and taper off ever so slowly. That really is the clue but believe me I truly know what everyone is going through. It IS the toughest thing I have ever went through, will NEVER do again and will warn EVERYONE not to go on this drug. Prayers for everyone, I hope this helps!!

I am prescribed to take (2) 2mg K's per day- I also have 1mg dissolvables for 'as needed'. For the last 5-6 weeks (stress in my life now) i have been taking around 9mgs a day (3 doses of 3mg) because the effect wasnt working. based on previous posts I am on a downhill. Is this amount ridiculous? Have been taking 2 mgs for a year prior to the last month or so when I went to the 7-9 mgs. c**p I need to back off apparently.

You are making a big mistake. Please talk with your doctor as soon as you can. If your current dose/prescription isn't working and you begin to self medicate, your problems will only get worse. 2mgs to 9mgs is a huge jump and I can guarantee you don't want to withdraw from that high a dose suddenly. It could easily send you into convulsions and very probably a stroke. Take care and let us know what happens.

i am completely off klonopin 18 mo after i quit cold turkey.i was put on 2mg clonazepam in the 80's and arrived at y2k at 4mg a day and the physicians assistant bumped up to 6mg a day until i took 300 mg one morning,my whole life had gone to hell and my thinking had obviously gone there as well.the next 18 months i would not wish on my worst enemy.i had auditory and visual hallucinations,paranoia to the extreme,could not read or think.i will never take another pill that is as bad a drug as klonopin.you can find the information,it's difficult to uncover but in to days world it is very necessary.