Hello there, first of all I'd like to say that if you are on a Benzo and want to get off of it, CONSULT A PROFESSIONAL!! I'm not a pro, just a guy with some scripts. Anyway... every time I get on the internet in search of some sort of experience with any drug withdrawal it seems that it's always something negative and deterring. I'd just like to share an experience I accidentally had with my Klonopin dose that can give you some hope if you're going through the same thing. 

Now I'm the type of person who thinks the worst is going to happen in any given situation. I've been on klonopin for years and years now (5+) and Suboxone for Opiate dependance and i've been steadily lowering my Suboxone dose with a doctor for a while now. Hopefully I can make it off that drug without relapsing. Now i'm no stranger to the internet so I look up "Suboxone Withdrawal" and "Klonopin Withdrawal" quite a bit to see how it goes. It seems that suboxone and klonopin have some similarities regarding a long half life and withdrawal being persistently nagging and lasting for months or more. I'll leave the Suboxone alone for now and tell you my story about my klonopin. 

I was prescribed 3mg of Kpin a day. 1mg in the AM and 2 in the PM for Panic Disorder w/ Agoraphobia. All I had ever heard and read about the drug was that it takes away your personality and saps your energy and some of that is true. I heard it's really hard to get off of and that's also true but it's not as hard as the internet would make you believe. I kicked heroin cold turkey a few times and learned that there's a lot of truth in the saying "Pain experienced is always worse than pain remembered." 

So.. I was getting 2mg tablets and taking a half of one in the morning and a full one at night for 3mg. I filled a new prescription on the 1st of Jan and continued taking it as prescribed. A few days into january i noticed that I wasn't feeling all that great and had been sweating quite a bit but it was nothing of note (no more discomfort than being sick) and my son just had like 4 colds in a row so I think I caught what he had. I had one night that was terribly bad because I watched an incredibly sad movie (Dear Zachary) about a mother who kills her boyfriend etc.... (I won't ruin it for you) I ended up calling Crisis Intervention because I have a history of suicide attempts and i called my parents as well (it was 3AM so they knew something was up). I just couldn't get it together. My mother stayed at my apartment until I fell asleep and the next day I was feeling much better. My sister had her birthday party 2 days later and at the party everyone was saying that I was so funny and that I was cracking jokes left and right but it didn't seem to me like anything was different. I did remember having more energy but I thought I was going through a manic phase or something.

Anyway it was time to fill my prescription again and I went to the pharmacy and picked it up. Usually when i do this I dump whatever pills are left from my old bottle into the new one, but when i went to do that, I noticed that they were different colors. I looked at the bottles and the prescription I had been taking for the past month was HALF mg tablets and the instructions were to take 2 in the AM and 4 at night. (the pharmacy had run out I later found out) All the while i was taking a half in the AM and a whole one at night, basically cutting my dose by 75% instantly. I didn't even feel it really!! I had read all these horror stories of terrible, hell-like symptoms from seizures and sickness beyond reason to unstoppable shaking and vomiting etc.... etc.... But besides a few cold-like-symptoms and 1 really bad night, i just lowered my klonopin dose by 3/4 and came out unscathed! I was so excited that I had gone through it already and was feeling fine. It was like waking up off my meds and feeling fine (almost). Then I started piecing together all the previous events that had happened that month. Like my crash, my sisters party, me feeling manic, being more talkative in general and having more energy, the flu-like symptoms and everything. It all made sense now, but the fact that I didn't know I was going through benzo withdrawals made it SO much easier. I had nothing to blame and no "savior" if I took more or something. I just wondered why i felt bad and dealt with it. 

So the moral of the story? Benzo withdrawal is bad... sure. But it isn't the end of the world. You'll be over it before you know it and your life will be so much better. If I had known that it was that easy to go down before, I'd have done it years earlier. Like I said, I'm no professional and a taper plan is probably the best way to go about doing the drop, but it really wasn't that bad and I'll feel better if one anxious person reads this and gets the courage to say "eh, it is what it is and I can't do anything about it" during their transition to a lower dose.

Anyway, please consult a professional before doing anything and god bless. 

-Dave

Drug addiction?, panic?,suicidal?, mania ?,depression?

Jeez. Are there any other ailments you're leaving out here?

Thank You...I know I can do it after reading you story

I have found the various threads and posts here on this subject very helpful in reading experiences of several others. I will share mine in hopes of being a help. I was taking up to 2mg daily for a total of nearly 3 years for panic after stopping taking chantix, another story. I decided on my own to cut back just being concerned about being addicted. I tapered over several months  down to .5 daily once daily for the last three months. Upon seeing my doc for refill last week I decided to "try" cold turkey knowing I had script in hand to fall back on. I would not have with out this as I have been terrified to be caught with out it. After reading much info on this it looks like my final step is steep compared to the tapering practiced. I am now in day 8 of no K. 2 days ago I googled and found withdrawal conversations here as I was experiencing symptoms. And subsequently the Ashton Manual which I recommend reading for understanding of what you have been thru and what to expect. As I sit here on day 8 some thoughts and personal experiences. My symptoms include dizzy, vision weird, anxiety, twitches, stomach, foggy, memory, speech, balance and of course trouble sleeping. Anxiety thankfully has decreased at this time. This may be due to accepting what is happening and knowing it is normal. In discovering that these are the common symptoms I realized I had been experiencing them all (in a lessor form coming and going) for several months or much more with out realizing they were constant ongoing withdrawal symptoms from reaching a tolerance level and then reducing overtime. Most of us have been in withdrawal for years while taking the med. Really makes you wonder how a drug that will top off and induce withdrawal without increased dosage can be used in the first place. How do I feel today? Actually not too bad. Have most of the symptoms but not terrible. Each day is a new day in the process. So far not too bad. I am hopeful they will pass sooner than later. I need my faculties to work. I can say tho as I move along I am hopeful and happy I am taking it on. I wish I had understood more about what was happening to me from the K. The memory loss and periodic speaking problems while on K now make sense. I was horrified I was losing it and damaged forever. I also realize how I took the med gave me roller coaster symptoms. I was prescribed as needed. I did not take mine on much of a schedule. Sometimes more sometimes less sometimes skip a day. I can now see how this is dipping in and out of withdrawal and not realizing it. I really wonder if these docs know how bad this is or anything about it. Even on my last visit she suggested I try to stop  taking it without any recognition as to side effects, tapering or how difficult it would likely be. As I sit here today and battle the withdrawal there is kind of a peace for me in the battle. I feel like I am on my way forward and knowing the experience is expected is helping. Physically and mentally I think I even feel better in some ways although hard to put a finger on at this point. Well if you took the time I hope this is helpful. As i said post have been helpful to me. I am in the middle of the fight now day 8. Going well I think. Feel free to share or ask questions.

Hi, lots of good info here, thanks. I have been on klonopin for 10+ years and was up to 6-8 mg's a day until 2 weeks ago when I decided to make myself a weaning off plan (plan is for 6 months, not sure how realistic this is, but it's a starting point). I started out at a lower dose than my max was, am taking 4 mg's (1mg 4 times a day to keep a steady amount in my system at all times) I just had my first really bad "panic attack" and popped an emergency 1 mg, which I know is going to be necessary, but I will stick to my weaning off plan at all other times. I had dizziness, trouble breathing, got really hot, flushed, thought I was gonna have a heart attack......I was wondering if you experienced this, these symptoms? It was no fun at all, and way worse than any attack i've ever had before. I would welcome any and all advice, hoping you will see my reply. Thanks in advance.

Glad you did ok with it. You are VERY lucky to have came out ofg that situation unscathed, especially after such a fast taper. I came off 1.5 mg klonopin in 6 weeks and have been suffering horrible withdrawal for a little over 3 years now. Anyone thinking about quitting a benzo should read the Ashton Manual

***this post is edited by moderator *** *** web addresses not allowed***Please read our Terms of Use

and can also find the facebook support groups, just search facebook for benzodiazepine recovery or the benzo and psych med group. There are even more groups than that, too. I hope this helps.

Thank you, Dave, for sharing your experience. I'm in the process of tapering from 1.5 mg per day for 20 years and am doing it ever so slowly...have cut my .5 pills into 4 pieces and am reducing daily intake by 25% for 4 weeks; then another 25% for 4 weeks, until I'm completely off the drug. I think the hardest thing so far is my fear of what I've read on the internet, although I do notice I'm more anxious, jumpy, foggy headed....but reading your story has definitely given me hope! Thanks again for sharing.

Thanks for your post Dave, it is very encouraging indeed. I lowered my 1.5 mg dose to .75 in one week and am feeling pretty good outside headaches, and irregular sleep patterns. I also learned that I too have been reading all these horror stories on line, and was freaking myself out. I plan to be weaned off entirely within a 30-60 day period. I am also using the amino acid supplement "Gabba", ever heard of it?

Yeah, supplements are nice to give your body what it needs. I've used the "Thomas Recipe" for opiate withdrawal before and it's basically just a lot of supplements. I'm completely off the Klonopin now and it was probably the easiest "hard" thing I've ever done. I know that we humans love to share in our pain but the internet is just such a bad place for information about what is actually going on. I'm almost off of my Suboxone and I expect of few weeks of "shady"-ness but nothing worse.

I'll be free of any and all medications in a couple months. That feels really good to say. I can actually wake up in the morning and not feel like garbage until I get a pill in my mouth.

Pain experienced is always worse than pain remembered.

I am going off of Klonopin now but my Doctor would NOT help me with this so I am doing it on my own. I am never seeing him again. Yep, I am having side effects so I know I am doing it too fast. Amazing 2mg. for sleep for 5 years and trying to get off of this bad drug I am horrified he would not help me. It is all chicken bones and garlic all you need is the voodoo doctor to chime in too. I am mad but I know I can do this.

Yep, I am trying to get off of Klonopin and am having side effects like weight loss, dizziness, sweating hot, flushing day and night, muscle aches that are horrible etc. I am slowly even more tapering myself off of just 2mg. at night for 5 years. I do feel clearer in my head as I do this but the side effects....mad are the worst. Best of luck and I am with you.

I am in the midst of a horrible storm called got off methadone almost 4 months ago after 15 years.. switched to suboxene and has not been easy and suboxene is helping withdrawals but I'm still IN pain.. also doctor told me I had to get off my klonopin before the 24th.. 1mg 3 times daily .. for 15 years.. I also have celiac disease so in the midst of going through withdrawals and also have gallbladder issues that Dr keeps giving me the runaround about removing. I'm laying here on several weeks in bed in pain.. my feet tingle RLS, nause, muscle pain, feel weird, head hurts, vision messed up, depression and short of breath.. etc. Thd doctor was so mean I started to cry and she scared me so much I started to get off the klonopin fast. (Remember I was prescribed 1 mg 3 times a day and the last 4 months been taking 3 times a day because of methadone withdrawals) Day 1- 1mg at night Day2-skipped dose Day 3- 1/2 Day 4- skipped dose Day 5- skipped dose Day 6-1/2 dose (.5mg) I don't know if I can make it. I'm
In so much pain. Suboxene helped the last few days at 9 am. When I take it, I sleep only until noon or maybe 1.. I'm delirious and I dropped to fast 1mg 3 times a day. Please give me advice on what I can take that isn't a benzo. My doctor tells me suboxene and klonopin can cause respiratory failure. I heard that about methadone but I was prescribe klonopin and methadone for 15 years never once had an issue. I see forums on "take it slow" I would love too unfortunately I have a uncaring doctor that told me I was having PAWS from methadone and I won't have a problem getting off my klonopin within 30 days.. I don't understand where my rights are? My dr that prescribes the klonopin told me he has no issues with klonopin and suboxene.. BUT unfortunately the Dr that gives me suboxene doesn't care what he thinks..

Also I had a seizure in 2004 from lack of Xanax., HELP

Hi. I just wanted to share my story about klonopin withdrawal. Im a 37 year old female and took the nasty drug for 2 1/2 years. I have to admit the klonopin did work for me for a while. I was taking it for anxiety and sleep. Near the end of my stopping klonopin I noticed every time I stood up weather it be fast or slow I would get dizzy and my head would pound. Come to find out the klonopin was lowering my blood pressure too low so I had to stop taking them. I quit cold turkey cause I have to money for rehab or anything like that and before I even thought about tapering down I was out and couldn't get any more. I also just wanted my life back, free of all medication and wanted to sleep on my own without having to take a pill like I used to. I want to encourage anyone that is going trough this to stay positive as hard as it is. YOU CAN BEAT THIS! I've been in withdrawal for 1 1/2 months now and I feel great. The only symptom I have now is slight insomnia. The first 3 weeks were hell on earth. You have to have a great support system. Every day is different but keep your head up and stay strong. This too shall pass. If your a religious person please pray. I couldn't have done it without my lord and support of my wonderful husband.

I am starting to taper after i year on 2mg a day....i need some goid advice...rhis really helped...im scared to death...dont want to becon them forever...feel like im losing my mind cuz i tried to just quit....its pretty bad...so sad and anxious....like im losing my mind....
Christy

Hi. You probably read my post above. I just wanted to say I'm now eight months off kloponin and when I look back at that passage where I said said I felt great at 1 1/2 months, boy was I wrong. Maybe I was just having a good day that day. I don't know what the future holds for all of this but I can honestly say here at the 8 month mark I feel as normal as I ever was. Don't get me wrong I still have a day or 2 here and there where an old withdrawal symptoms will flare up but it do last long thank God. When I would talk to people or pray about the withdrawal I would use the word, MY withdrawal symptoms. I learned not to own then like that. I never thought I'd be where I'm at today with all this cause I was so sick for so long. You can get through this. If I can anyone can! Keep your faith and loved ones close even though you much drive them nuts during it but you cannot do it alone. I hope this helps someone. Peace