My first surgeon told me to wait 3 months after giving birth. It didn't heal and I had surgery. The surgery failed and I am now meeting with a new surgeon in a different state, who is doing the next surgeries including the stoma bag. However, she said that RVFs start healing at 3 months, but can take much longer. My surgery is in 6 days, I'm terrified to get the stoma bag, and I don't know if my fistula can heal on its own. I've had it for over one year, and my last surgical attempt was over 6 months ago. Air is still passing, but it seems that feces has slowed.

I'm not sure if I'm only imagining my symptoms getting easier out of desperation/fear of surgery and stoma.

My first surgeon told me that after three months, natural healing is unlikely. This new surgeon is telling me that three months is the minimal time to give yourself to heal naturally, and it can take much longer.

My surgery is in six days and I don't know if I'm making a mistake by going through with it.

How long can I keep hoping for natural healing?