I'm 37 years old and had emergency surgery about 4 weeks ago due to diverticulitus rupture of sigmoid colon. I'm wondering how long I'll have to wait to have the reversal surgery. I'm ready to have it now, but I'm wondering how long is a safe time to wait? I don't see the doc for another couple weeks. I'ver heard anywhere from 4 weeks to 3 months?

It really depends on if the rupture is cleared up by now. The average time to wait is about one to three months, but it depends really on you. Has your diverticulitus cleared up now or is it persisting? How is your recovery from the surgery going otherwise? I know that it's going to depend on you ultimately so tell us what happens after you end up going to the doctor. Thanks for posting!

Hi, I have a friend that had a similar thing. He had to wait for about 1 month and 3 weeks. He is doing very well now. He has no complications. I hope that you will be ok after this also.

I am 33 I had emergency surgery rupture of diverticultis 6/8/10 and I had connection surgery 8/25/10. My doctor told me to be patient, he knew how the colostomy bag scared me. I wait until 6 wks after surgery and then we scheduled the reconnection. I was in the hospital 5 days and had a bowel movement on the third day.

I am 33 I had emergency surgery rupture of diverticultis 6/8/10 and I had connection surgery 8/25/10. My doctor told me to be patient, he knew how the colostomy bag scared me. I wait until 6 wks after surgery and then we scheduled the reconnection. I was in the hospital 5 days and had a bowel movement on the third day. So it depends on your health and your recovery from your initial surgery. At your age if your in decent shape your wait should not be long.

I had surgery 7weeks ago due to diverticulitis and an abscess between my intestines. My doctor told me that I could have the reversal after 3 months from my 1st surgery. I have been doing well and have healed quickly. I am hoping I can have it done a little sooner, but I trust my doctor and if she wants me to wait the full 3 months that is what I'll do.

hi, I had similar operation for the same problems, the surgeon recommended at least 12 months, I rushed it and had a reversal attempt after 10 months, but failed, and back to the bag, I,m going back to see the surgeon next week ,that will be then 2 years, fingers crossed, he will have another go.

Had same condition in january. was told 6 months for reversal