Does anyone know how long I can expect to be in pain? How long I should expect to take to heal after my anal surgery? Also, how long can I take mineral oil to keep my stools soft--I suffer from IBS or possibly a mild crohns.

I had an anal fissure that partially healed over the course of about a year. The reason that it only partially healed was that it was infected. Last, December it abscessed to the point where I could push on a hard nodule just outside the hole and puss would ooze out of the unhealed area of the fissure. Gross, I know.

Since then, I have had a surgery to open and drain the abscess. The surgical cut is from the remaining portion of the fissure inside to the outside nodule.

It has been 11 weeks since my surgery. The bleeding and pussing have stopped. Now it just hurts when I go #2, similar to the way in which the anal fissure hurt last year. Some days there is intense burning, some days just a faint reminder of my wound's continuing presence.

Since I have been diagnosed with a very mild case of Crohn's, or IBS--dr.s are unsure which--I have been taking sulfazine and am scheduled to be fully evaluated later this year. Aside from the fissure turned abscess, my only sympom of these conditions is constipation, which is exacerbated by my very stressful job. I have been taking Milk Of Magnesia or mineral oil (never together) to alleviate this symptom. Does anyone know how long can I continue to take this? I couldn't bear to have the wound reinjured and not heal again.

any comments, stories advice would be appreciated.

just so you know, it takes over 6 mos to heal a, inch or so long incision from the inside to of the anal canal to the outside--or at least that's how long it has taken me to begin to feel better.

An abscess takes some time to heal, after drainage.
I had surgery to drain an abscess caused by cellulitis on
my left toe in Dec 2004.The wound had to be left open,
and it took two months to close up. I still have some pain
from the scar there which has formed a corn.

I'm not sure if anal fissures should be left open to heal or
stitched up, but did the surgeon give you some antibiotics ?

If not, you should go back to him, or consult another
surgeon for another opinion.

You should also take fiber. I would prefer cellulose fiber,
or some of those mixed formulas with probiotics and enzymes
which you find in health food stores. I would not advice
psyllium, which has a rather harsh peristaltic action on the
intestines and is not good for people with IBS (like me) and
Crohn's, like you.

Otherwise, take a good probiotic with lots of bifidobacterium,
which is the predominant bacteria in the anal region.

Thanks fo the advice. Through trial and error, I have come to many of the same conclusions (cellulose fiber instead of psyllium and the benefits of good probiotics).

This guy who opens a newstand told me he
had a fissure, but it healed after drinking aloe
vera concentrate juice over time.

He didn't even see a doctor.

interesting, though aloe verra concentrate is auposed to be a potent stimulant laxative.

Yes, that is why you should find out if the aloe
vera product contains the laxative compound
called Aloin.

Many of the good products on the market have
the Aloin removed.

I had a perianal surgery 4 weeks ago and told today all is good ,the wound was golf size ball and about 1.5 iinch deep. The nurse is very experienced, she changed the packing every day for week 1, 3 times a week in week 2, and then twice a week in week 3 and week 4, 5 only outside bandage change.She gave me allevyn bandages and asked me to keep the dressing in and change the outer a packing if it gets soggy. The would was leaking foul. She said fiddling too much with the wound causes prolong healing. I was spraying the outer wound with dettol and drying it and placing the bandage over existing packing everyday. Nurse was changing the packing.

Dr gave me only one week antibiotic, which I requested more and continued till 2nd week. The maximum amount of co amixiclav 500/125 capsul allowed is 2 weeks anyway.

I stayed in bed for three weeks, no movement and pressure on wound, sitting a bit.

Week 3-4 Llight walking , was going out for taking fresh air.

Week 5 resuming normal activity. It's heald and (touch wood) completely gone only tiny hole and split pea size depth left.It looks like nothing was there before. Now only outside covering with bandage and no need for packing.

Additional help: stay positive, the abscess are caused by stress and flair with stress.

Diet:Lots of fish, yogurt , orange juice , fruit , green veg( yes lack of zinc in body contributes to the abscess).No skipping meals, three times a day large plate of food n salad.

Avoid milk, it causes pus, I drank orange juice with half tea spoon turmeric in it to

Fasten the healing gor few weeks.For bowel movement, took fybogel ( spaghula husk) drink so no strain at bottom.

I was so scared thought it will never go, but believe me it will heal soon. It needs care and dedication. I am 37 years old and average built, abscess are nasty but get cured. I have been reading online to change packing everyday for 3 weeks post surgery and was anxious what nurse was advising me but in the end it worked out ok due to experienced nurse. The surgeon tod me to keep the wound dry, I used baby wipes after bowel movement, first werk only hot towel clean then wore water proof nappy before shower, no baths .the nurse wipes it and uses salin water before packing it. Okay told me no more acking requred as the wound is inside like a pea nd outside tiny hole.only outer bandage is applying.

Hth.

Hth.

i had my perianal abcess drained 3days ago.2questions. how long before you can go back to work? the doctor told me 2days post surgery but i cant see that happening.also has anyone had difficulty with soiling your dressing when passing urine?

I'm now 6 weeks post perianal abscess drainage. I'm still officially on sick leave from work as I am a typist and finding sitting for long periods very uncomfortable. Walking any distance is also very uncomfortable and causes soreness. The wound is now healed on the outside but still tender to the touch. I feel I will be able to return to work in another 2 weeks.

I had problems with dressings as I could not tolerate the adhesive borders on the dressings nor could I tolerate surgical tape to hold dressings in place. Instead I wore a loose serile pad close tothe wound held in place with surgical panties - this was very effective and allowed me to urinate without the restrictions of the dressings. I was packed daily with Sorbisan by the community nursing team and the wound cleaned.

My healing process is almost at an end now - it's been a long drawn out affair.

I've had my anal fissure surgery 12 weeks ago, and I STILL am having to take 2 mg Diladia and 5% lidocaine salve. My pain level is a 10 without it. My surgeon says that this is normal for some people. I'm really having my Doubts about him.
I cannot sit or walk without medicine.THIS SURGERY SUCKS!!!!!!

I appreciate this thread is over a year old but I just wanted to post somewhere as I have been at an all time low with my abscess. Thankfully I am not in a great deal of pain. The surgery was done 3 days ago and I can get by without any pain relief. My biggest concern is the packing. I have to have it changed everyday but for the last 2 days I have had it done twice as it kept falling out. There is no way it anything can be placed over it to keep it secure due to the positioning of it. The pain involved with the packing is excruciating. I'm 32 and pretty much scream whilst biting down in my jumper when in the docs. I thought j had it bad but reading what some of you have been through makes me feel j have got off lightly. I'm concerned about the wound (which is 3-4cm deep) becoming infected and me getting a fisture (sp). Did anyone get this hollowing in from their op? Also how long before the pain of the packing subsides? I have a sick note for a week but think I'll need another.

I had two inch anal fistula cut out and laid open. I used sterile gause pads over would for two weeks. Tried to do just sits baths but ended up with a rash. Now just flushing with hot water from tub facet. Keep area clean and dry. Hope to be back to work next week four weeks after surgery.

My 15 year old son had a peri-anal abcess incision and drainage over 8 weeks ago. I'm keeping it clean for him and change his gauze twice a day and after every bowel movement. My problem is that he keeps draining a yellow mucus on his gauze. I can't believe that this is still coming out on his gauze. Has anyone else had this problem? He still has some pain.

This is completely normal> I am 5 wks post op and still have green yellow drainage. Dr said i would drain for few more weeks. Part of the healing process. If there is a foul odor let the Dr know.