It seems that nothing I do turns out to be good. I have been prescribed with Lexapro, for my constant depression. I also have extra weight, nothing that serious, but it is visible. As for depression, it is something I have been dealing with since my older son died in a car accident. My husband left me soon after, because, as he says, I have become unbearable. Now all I have is food and Lexapro. Is weight gain inevitable with Lexapro?

I guess that it all depends on the person taking it. Generally, I know several people who use Lexapro and workout almost everyday. They also watch out what theyre eating but somehow cannot lose weight at all. Some of them switched to wellbutrin, but with no positive results. Still, there are cases of people who lost weight. How is all this possible, I do not know. I guess that Lexapro messes up your metabolism, one way or another. I do hope that it will be a better way for you.

I, too, have had a lot of tragedy over the past few years (3 deaths of people very close to me, divorce, suicide attempt by daughter). It seemed to be one thing after another after another...neverending! Just when I'd think it couldn't possibly get any worse, something else would happen. I was on the verge of giving up and checking out. If it weren't for my two wonderful kids, I probably would have. I'm a good person so I couldn't understand why God was punishing me like this. I kept thinking what could I possibly have done to deserve this??? It was extremely overwhelming. I knew I needed help, that I couldn't continue to do this on my own. :?

My doctor put me on Lexapro, 20 mg per day. It made a substantial improvement to my depression and mood. However, I've gained an unusual amount of weight. Over the past 6 months, I've ballooned from a healthy, muscular 155 pounds to a whopping 194 pounds! My clothes don't fit and I can't walk up stairs without being out of breath. This is not normal for me. I'm an active, 37 year old, 5' 7" female. I play softball year round, hike and backpack, and love to be outdoors. The weight gain is making me more depressed and I don't know what to do. I'm making an appointment with my doctor today to discuss the situation.

Lexapro is working for me so I'm afraid to stop taking it, but on the other hand, the excessive weight gain is unhealthy for a number of reasons and only brings me down. I haven't changed my diet or exercise, so I don't understand why this is happening. The only thing I can think is that the drug messes with your metabolism.

Don't give up, things will get better. People always say that time heals all wounds. I've found this to be true, although in the moment, you don't want to hear that. I empathize with you and the pain you are feeling. Try to have a positive outlook. Find somebody you trust who you can talk to and get those feelings out (a friend, relative, or even a counselor). Keeping them inside will only eat at you and make you more depressed. I know, because that's what I do. I keep everything bottled up inside, but I'm working on changing that behavior. It really does help though to get it out. I truly believe that things happen for a reason. I pray for you that you will find peace and that your life will take a turn for the better. We all deserve to be happy. I wish you happiness and peace. Stay strong, things will get better. :)

most people do gain weight but i heard of a combination of supplements that can help get rid of the weight it works for about 35% of people, for the rest some don't notice weight loss but stop the weight gain 1. conjugated linoleic acid (CLA) 2.omega 3 fish oil 3. vitamin e 4. calcium/magnesium

they suggest morning:3- Ultimate Omega 3 softgels, 2 -CLA softgels and 1 -vitamin e (200 i.u.)
noon:3 -Ultimate Omega 3 softgels, 2- CLA softgels bedtime:1-tablespoon of calcium/magnesium mixed in water (caution any anxiety or insomnia problems DO NOT TAKE the calcium/magnesium) drink water, at least 30 minutes of activity a day. you'll notice the scale changing between week 4 and week 5 good luck!

I think it probably depends on the person, but I wouldn't necessarily assume that you will gain weight.

I've been on lexapro, 20 mg, for about 4 months now and I've actually lost around 8 lbs. That said, before I started taking lexparo I was aware of the weight gain associated with taking this drug and this was a major concern for me. So, when I began taking it I was terrified that I would gain weight and started working out more and being very careful what I eat. I haven't noticed my appetite increasing. Rather, I feel as I focus less on food and my eating habits have become more regular. I was a stress eater before, and maybe the fact that my anxiety has eased has helped with my eating. I'm just keeping my fingers crossed that I don't start gaining weight-I can't deal with that. The lexaro has made a big difference with my anxiety and depression, so I'm hoping the weight gain won't come later.

Are there any more people who haven't gained weight?

I am 20 years old and was prescribed lexapro about a year and a half ago for my GAD (Generalized Anxiety Disorder).

GAIN WEIGHT WITH ANY DEPRESSION-LIKE MED. IS INEVITABLE.

My doctory told me that 5-15 lbs is pretty standard/normal.. at the time i weighed 120lbs.
I was on the med. for a couple months.. switched to a generic because of costs.. switched again because of mood swings.. and finally ended up on a generic of lexapro.. either way they all make you gain weight..

I gained 40LBS IN LESS THAN 9 MONTHS!!

I topped out at 162lbs.

I was 19 at the time.. and seeing that this med. was supposed to be helping my anxiety I went off it. I was causing me more anxiety because of the weight gain and the negative emotions I was having. My doctor weened me off of it safely and i have not been on the med for about 6 months. I lost half of the weight in about 3 months.. very quickly. I now weight 140lbs.

Going on this med. was one of the worst decisions I have ever made.

I have learn to deal with my GAD in a healthy way and have become very close with my parents and doctors.

OH and about the weight gain.. it was such a quick and unsafe amount of weight i gained my doctors became VERY concerned and were doing blood tests on me at LEAST once a month.. and i had monthly check-ups for them to moniter me. There was nothing wrong.. just ended up on the extreme end of weight gain with lexapro.

The med. itself is great.. the side effects are HORRIFIC.

I also have 2 other family members on this med. (seeing that GAD is generic) and they have both gained weight.

One gained about 50lbs
the other about 30lbs.

Just my story and opinion.. but like I said the med. itself is great and does really work well. You just have to decide if the side effects are worth iit.

I was diagnosed with cancer in October of 2007. My first surgery was Oct. 31 and the 2nd was Nov. 19 in 2007. My husband unexpectantly died in Jan. 2008........my doctors were all over it and put me on Lexapro. I had major mood swings before these life altering events, but compounded with depression I doubt I would have ever been able to function. I know I had lost 38 pounds in 8 weeks, but I have gradually put weight back on. I truly doubt it is a result of the Lexapro. If I am honest with myself I have gotten lazier and my eating habits were a result of poor choices. The advantages for me and my children far out weigh anything negative. I would have never taken anything for the mood swings and argued my doctors when they prescribed Lexapro........but it has truly been a blessing and the discovery and watchful eye of my physicians has been truly remarkable. I am a better person for it and can manage my feelings and challenges on an equal playing field with the aid of this drug.

ABSOLUTELY not! I took 10 MG of Lexapro at the same time each day (in the AM) and would walk for a half hour. In the evenings I would walk for another half hour. The calming effects helped me identify when I was truly hungry and not just eat for emotional reasons. The light but consistent exercise seemed to help also. I lost over 50 lbs in 6 months and felt truly "connected" to my body for the first time in years.

I'm glad to hear that some people are having positive experiences with taking Lexapro. Now others of you who are experiencing weight gain, that is a common side effect so don't think that what you are experiencing is abnormal or your problem in any case. Thanks for sharing your stories though, and keeping us posted!

I see where everyone seems to be gaining weight with use of Lexapro. I am on Citalopram Hydrobromide (40mg a day) and I have lost four pounds in the last month or so. I was told by my doctor that this is vertually the same drug as Lexapro. Some of you may want to question your doctor about switching to this instead. It obviously hasn't caused me to gain weight. I just recently found out that my sister is on Lexapro along with Abilify. She is having incredible weight gain. From size 5 to like an 18 over the past two years. She is going to speak to her doctor about the use of Citalopram Hydro bromide.

When did you start this drug and how many mgs are you taking? I just have yet to hear of an antidepressant that does not cause weight gain. Im very UNHAPPY with the weight gain paxil caused me. Very Unhappy, im going off it now. I hope it doesnt take too long to lose all the weight i gained.

taybey

I think it's good that you're going to do something about your weight gain and I think that'll be very positive for you, but please don't go off it right away. Paxil can cause some serious issues if you try to quit it suddently so take your time getting of it okay? Let me know how it goes for you though. I'd like to hear about your progress!

ABSOLUTELY! DO NOT TAKE IT UNLESS YOU ARE OKAY WITH GAINING A CONSIDERABLE AMOUNT OF WEIGHT. I was on Lexapro for six months, and I went from 125 lbs. to 170. I worked out for two hours every day and ate a strict 1300 calories. It helped my depression, but I had to stop taking it. My weight was getting unhealthy. Three months later, I have only lost about 8 lbs. but I hope that I will be closer to my starting weight soon.

It seems the dosage determines whther or not there will be weight gain. I have searched a lot because I was recently prescribed Lexapro and I do not want to gain weight either. I am on 10mg Lexapro. It seems that have been prescribed 20mg or higher seems to gain weight.

My doctor warned me of the possibility of weight gain and sexual side effects. I haven't had weight gain and I hope that I don't but I do have the sexual side effects- anorgasmia. But at least I feel like myself

I've been on 10 mg of Lexapro for a little over 3 months. Like many others, I started gaining weight. I am also tired. It's difficult to get up in the morning, and I crash at night. I have definitely gained in places I've never been "fat" before. I've always had a flat stomach... not anymore! In reaction to this I started a strict diet and excercise program, only to find that I am still not dropping a single pound. I do run 3 miles 4x a week, and I also do p90x on occasion. I have cut calories, had minimal carbohydrate intake and nothing works. Historically I've never had a problem shedding a few pounds when I put the effort in. I've never had this kind of problem with weight gain prior to Lexapro, and certainly have never struggled so hard to take weight off. I can only attribute it to Lexapro. I have started the process to wean myself off by taking 5 mg ( cutting the pills in half) for the last 10 days. I plan to wean myself off completely and seek another form of treatment from my physician as I am convinced and baffled by my weight.