Hi, I’ve been suffering from OCD for a long time. I think it is already ten years since I had the first sign of this disorder. I tried many medications such as prozac, but I haven’t felt any improvement. I heard from a friend that lexapro helps with this condition. I thought it was used only for depression. Should I try it anyway?

Hi, I heard the same thing about lexapro and I decided to try it. To be honest, it didn’t relief any of my OCD symptoms. I have a hand-washing mania and it hurts when someone notices what I’m doing and looks at me like I’m a freak. But I always have a feeling my hands are dirty and I just can’t help it! I used lexapro for several weeks and I didn’t feel the improvement for a minute. Now, I am using clomipramine and I really hope it will be more helpful, because OCD is taking control over my life. I thought lexapro would help me, because it relief symptoms of social phobia, generalized anxiety disorder and panic disorder. I thought, if it helps with these conditions, why wouldn’t it help with OCD

I have been on lexapro for 5 years now for severe severe ocd. It has helped me greatly. Every person is different so it may not help you, but I find it to get rid of about 75 percent of my symptoms.

I have used lexapro for ocd for intrusive aggressive thoughts and it has helped tremendously. I have tried others but this seems the best so far

I was put on Lexapro today. I mostly get OCD along with some depression. I am so glad to hear that others are recieving help from Lexapro for OCD!

Do any of you experience weight gain with the lexapro? I have been given some of this for slight depression, but I know that I have ocd severely at times.....would really like to be brave enough to try it- never have tried anything before- but don't need any weight gain as that would depress m even more!!

Will Lexapro cure OCD? answer: I was first diagnosed with General Anxiety Disorder before I was diagnosed with OCD. My first signs of OCD, that I can remember, started when I was 7 years old but I didn't become fully aware of it till the age of 19. I've been on Lexapro for 8 months now and it has helped with the depression that the OCD has caused. As well, when I'm not obessing, my upset feelings don't linger as long with the help from the Lexapro. Now the question you are desparately wondering is "Will Lexapro completely cure OCD?" no...In order for one to find relief from OCD... 1) You have to except that it's extremely hard for you to let go of what bothers you...whether it be from a genetic or psychological factor. 2) You have to find that strength with/in yourself that lets you somehow not depend on one thing to solve your problems. 3) You have to show yourself that you aren't afraid to live the rest of your life with the same fears that scare you o so dearly 4) don't place this as a character flaw!!!! seriously!!! because it's not....I've had the most fearfull, obsessions that have made me fell like I'm insane...but with these steps...as well as medication....theraoy....support...meditation...these help me cope with it...and ask yourself this what is it that I've learned from your OCD? I'd have to say, from mine, a lot. I have a huge apprecitation for life and for simple things that many people take for granted...I've grown more compassionate and Wise and it's actually been a gift. But anyway my point is this...don't feel hopeless because I've felt the horrible anxiety, depression, and revolting thoughts that never seem to end but with my steps above I've been able to find that peace inside myself...but mostly through experience and medition and most importantly my attidute. Do research and find your own methods of coping with it because mine may not work for you. Let me ask you this...there is moments in your day when you aren't obsessing right? Take what you do then and bring that out more...well that would be forgetting what bothers you right? Well thats extremely hard to do for somevody with OCD because our memory seems to always hold that of which we fear right in our view... Meditation and awareness has helped me along with focus. Let yourself grow and learn from this experience and if all you learn from this is the next thing so be it...NEVER HAVE SHAME!!!!!!!

i started lexapro 2.5 yrs ago for social anxiety....which i have been told i was classic ocd as well. my anxiety was more of a bother so i was seeking help for that...since being on lexapro i feel sooo good and my compuslive behaviors arent sooo controlling anymore..but i have dropped my dose to 1/2 and have been really sick for the passed four days...please look under LEXAPRO WITHDRAWLS before getting to far into lexapro. i think alot of us users would have thought harder before taking that first pill. as far as i am concerned...i am just gonna keep taking mine. also read LEXAPRO AND WEIGHT GAIN..another stop and think page..for those who are compulsive with weight gain as i am..i have gained 15 lbs while watching calories and pretty much starving to death to avoid gaining weight .the dr told me i shouldnt gain any weight with lexaPRO... so didnt eat like a hog this holiday season and i am still FAT . after reading that others have gained even though they ate the same and exercised daily...but still gained..i'm hearing u guys :idea: !!ME TOO!! SO TOMORROW I MAY BE PICKING BONES AND BUTTIN HEADS WITH GOOD OL DOC. besides..we make the statistics for these meds!!

I took Lexapro for 6 months and gained 30-40 pounds. Of course, I did eat a lot, but I have my whole life and have never gained weight. I also noticed the lexapro helped with OCD, but I switched to Prozac because I heard it doesn't make you hungry. However, I feel like my OCD is coming back after being off lexapro for a week! However, I'm afraid to go back on it because I'm pretty concerned about my weight. I would rather accept OCD than being overweight, believe it or not, so I'll just have to learn to cope with OCD, and who knows, maybe it's not even the medicine.

I've been on lexapro for 2 weeks now and have actually dropped 10lbs. I got on it for depression and anxiety but i have realized it actually controls my ocd better. i had no idea this was an option for ocd.

you can just take it a few weeks and expect it to help out, it has to be in your body for a month or a little longer, but it will help if you choose to stick with it that long! It helped meh! :-D

I feel relief with my OCD, anxiety and depression. Those conditions are awfull and I was crying all the time. But with lexapro life seems to be the best!!! I know ..probably, I will have to take it all my life, because I have heard that symptoms returns after discontinuation, I know I will have to drop off this medicine while pregnant and other problems with weight (but I do not feel any gain or loss, probably, I won't have this problem), but I believe that we are all individual, we have learned a lot from our life and taking a lexapro is not the worst thing you could ever imagine. So, just think about the best life ahead, think you are distinguishing from others and you will drop off Lexapro in some weeks, months or years without any returning symptoms. I know I am thinking like a baby....But we have to cope, to live and to be satisfied with our life!!!
Good luck to all of us taking Lexapro for any reasons now. :-D

I've had OCD since I was a baby, and I'm 21 now. My compulsions ended when I was about 12, but when I was 18 the intrusive thoughts became unbearable. I started taking Prozac about a year ago, and it only significantly helped for the first month and a half. I couldn't exceed 20mg because my body would start to reject the medication, because I'm just sensitive to pills and such. I asked my psychiatrist if I should take anafranil because I read good things, and he said that there are a lot of side effects and suggested I try Lexapro, which both of my parents are on. My mom for Generalized Anxiety Disorder and OCD, and my dad for anger management, or something of the sort. I'm supposed to start it today and I really hope it does better. For anyone wondering, lexapro did cause quite a bit of weight gain for my mother. Basically though Lexapro really helped both of my parents, and I also have a friend that has tried many medications for depression and says Lexapro is the best for that. I just hope it helps my OCD.

I'm on Lexapro for OCD and the depression that came from being extremely anxious. I think the Lexapro helps, but for me what REALLY helped was exposure therapy. I'm telling you this is the sure way to over come your fears!!! I'd have weird thoughts or worries and would obsess over them - to try and find relief, I'd try to reassure myself someway perhaps by doing something or by researching, or asking others for their opinions. I've had OCD centered around my health (in my mind, I've had every disease known to man), the health of my family, I've had fears that I'm gay - simply because someone told me that their relative didn't know they were gay until "just one day." So... I obsessed that I may be gay but just didn't know it yet... and the list goes on... Exposure therapy REALLLLLLLY helps. You have to find someone that really knows what they are doing. It has saved my life and now I am a new person free of my fears where as before I could bairly function because I was so obsorbed with fear. You deserve to be free from your OCD so google exposure therapy and find some good treatment!!!

Just wondering, those of you that use Lexapro for OCD, what dose do you find helps?

I know everyone is different.

I am currently starting up Lexapro and tapering off paxil.

Thanks!
Dawnie