A film by Donald Petrie

Here s a highly predictable, yet cute romantic comedy. I have to wonder if these sorts of situations actually occur in real life, but they seem to happen all of the time in the movies. Andie Anderson (Kate Hudson) is a columnist at Composure Magazine. She writes the How To column intended for a female audience (Composure is similar to Cosmo or Glamour). The column she agrees to write for the current month is How to Lose a Guy in 10 Days . She has to find a guy and start dating him, but intentionally make all the classic mistakes that women make in relationships. These mistakes will cause the guy to dump Andie in 10 days or less, which is just in time for Andie to finish her column and get it published.

Benjamin Barry (Matthew McConaughey) works in advertising. He is very good at what he does, but he is known for working on guy related campaigns. Ben wants to land his company s largest client, a diamond company, but he is seen as not having the right expertise and style for it. Ben is very good at selling himself and convinces his boss that he can get any woman to fall in love with him (being able to do this is similar to being able to sell diamonds, apparently). His boss gives him ten days, until a party that his boss is throwing for the new client. Benjamin has to be able to prove to his boss that the woman he brings to the party has truly fallen in love with him.

Out of all of the people in New York City, Andie and Ben are going to meet at the perfect time to start dating and try to work out their conflicting assignments. How this happens is moderately clever, and is actually believable if convenient. Andie tries to get Ben to break up with her, though in a cute non-threatening way. Ben is trying to get Andie to fall in love with him, so is willing to put up with everything that Andie throws at him.

How to Lose a Guy in 10 Days is incredibly predictable, but it is still an enjoyable movie. Nothing is a surprise, but it is cute and slick and Andie and Ben are two very likable characters. Sure, the movie is not very plausible and not very realistic, but cuteness and likeability goes a long way.

I'm convinced that if they had used ugly people in the leading rolls that this movie would have been much less likeable. It's just too easy for both sexes to get caught up in the eye candy and ignore the plot.

Agreed. Kate Hudson is very, very likable (check out Almost Famous), and McConaughey has a very comfortable vibe.
That said, the plot is tripe.

That said, the plot is tripe.
I don't think it was tripe...it wasn't Oscar material or all that original, but it was pretty funny and brought in some fresh jokes, especially for a romatic comedy, which seems to be one of the more tired genres out there. I'm not head over heels for McConaughey or anything. I did think they nailed it with the classic mistakes women make in relationships. That is what was so funny to me, seeing the big deal breakers being dished out and Benjamin having to stick through what a lot of guys wouldn't tolerate in the name of the bet. Of course, like a dozen others, because of what started out as a bet, they really fall in love (gag) but I was impressed with this movie. :thumbsup: from me.

it was cute. the only reason i watched it was because i was home alone on a fri nite.

I thought it was cute too, for much of what pfffff said. It was comical to see the faux pas live and uncensored and go, God FORBID I ever get like that! :umno:

But yes, the predictable ending was bullsh*t. it never happens that way in real life.