I had dilemma nerve block injections vs cervical fusion. I would like to hear someone opinion on this. Here is what I think. I think that nerve blocks serve 2 functions. Firstly they can alleviate symptoms often to a stage where surgery is no longer necessary and secondly they can help the surgeon diagnose what surgical procedure to do and how extensive based on your response to blocks at different levels.

I think trying the epidurals is a definite pre-requisite to any fusion, although I have had both. My fusion is at L4-5 and I did not have any epidurals to this area before surgery, in fact they were never offered. I currently have degenerative disks at C4-5, C7, but after having had my first round of 3 epis, I really didn't think they were the solution. I had a secondary round of 4 a few months later, again thinking there was no benefit, But after some time passed, I must say that amazingly arm numbness, rib pain were gone. It has been over 3 years since the injections now, and other than stiffness in the neck and upper back, I have remained symptom free. So I highly suggest the epidurals and some patience, which I realize is the hard part when pain is your constant companion.

YOU ARE SO CORRECT! IN MY CASE, AFTER THE INJECTION'S, SURGERY
WENT EXCEPTIONALLY WELL, SIMPLY BECAUSE I KNEW I COUD TRUST MY SURGEON, BECAUSE HE KNEW JUST WHERE MY PROBLEM WAS.

26 AP 08, Fr
Message for REBUCK, Newbie, 13 July 2005
V B L O C THERAPY ~ vagal blocking
* Controls hunger * Affects how body stores fat
Less invasive than bariatric surgery
Stanford University testing this therapy.
EnteroMedics developed the hardware
Best wishes to REBUCK.