I had C6/7 cervical fusion done on 3/21/2012. The surgery went well according to the doctor, took off collar in 7weeks, but having leg and feet pain as soon as soft collar was off. Started physical therapy but foot pain persisted. Now I am dealing with seveire muscle/nerve like pain in my arms with tightness which wakes me up from sleep. Anyone have or had similar experience with fusion? Thank you in advance for your reply.

I haven't had fusion yet, I will soon though, as well as my mother.  Lower spine though.  You have been lying down and not using the muscles for a long time, what happens is the discs start to actually regenerate the fluids that are in them and while being a good thing to relief the pressure from standing/working everyday, they can cause pain.  It has been awehile from you surgery, but if you have been back to your normal activities for months, like work and all that, you would benefit from going to your spinal specialist.  Nerve pain is very common in people who have had any spinal procedures, even the smallest amopunt of local swelling can be a nightmare.  I've had some small things done, but my mother has had multiple invasive spinal surgeries by some of the best doctors in the nation and these things happen.  anytime you have a pain that you are concerned about with a major surgery though, it's best to see your specialist or surgeon, that is, if its a different person, many are not.  See you doctor, but don't stress yourself, vertebra are not meant to be fused so there are some side effects that last awhile, but sometimes it is the only way to spot the agony.  Good luck and try to relax,  give your doc a call and just ask to speak with him directly, he way refer an MRI or similar scan.

Hi Kimnberly sorry to here you are having the same problems as me ,I had c5c6 discectomy in 2000 after an accident at work in them days my surgeon was using a technique were they would remove the disc and just let the two vertibrae fuse together by themselves but they found a lot of people where having problems as they got older ,now they replace the disc they removed .What people don't realise is a lot of the time pressure on the spinal cord before surgery (cervical Mylopophy ) can cause damage to the spinal cord due to pressure On it from the bulging disc this is not always visible on the MRI scan,and now amount of surgery can fix this my symptoms are numb right arm ,pins and needles in both hands and soles of my feet I carn't now use my right arm and I have muscle spasms all the time now ,I have also developed neuropathic bladder.Sorry if I have frightened you there  is a lot of good medication out there I use transdermal patches Buprenorphine for pain releif ,I am now on 70micrograms/h which was increased slowly they will make you feel tired at first and a bit sick persevere with them though it's the best form of pain relief I have used I found the best place to apply the patch is your shoulder blades .And for nerve pain gabapentin 900mg 3xdaily ,Baclofen for the muscle spasms I hope this helps also at now stage let them tell you that this is all in your head which I now that a lot of people are told this by certain arrogant surgeons.

kind regards Gary.

Hi All

I had C6& 7 stenosis ridiculapathy, I had surgery on 10/3/13. from day of surgery i still have excruiating pain left side. the doctor accidently he said hit nerve for my left eye now i have transient where my eye barely opens. he said it would get better but when he dont know. my vision is affected by this also. the pain is in elbow joint and shoulder. i have headaches, i cant hold my head down long because of pain. i am on avinza morphine 60mg and hydocodone 7.5. it helps a whole lot. pain is worst at night. i alreadt have Diabetes, neuropathy,sciatical severely getting epidurals that helps for a while. i am really tired of this routine, just waiting on Jesus to come back and take me where i wont have any pain Amen