hi, i just had my second cervical fusion in the last three years. my first surgery was in may of 2005. after the surgery i still continued to have severe pain. however, my neurosurgeon would not see me because i was not surgical.

so, it happens one day at work i get injured by slipping. i break a titanuim screw in my neck! this was the fusion place. i go back to surgery. the surgeon was only able to take out half of the screw and adding others by fusing c 4-5, c 5-6.

pain? everyday. some days worse than others.

has anyone out there had a screw break (tinanium) or heard of this type of metal breaking?

Hi!

I just went this past week and had x-rays taken as my arm/fingers were becoming numb all the time. Immediately, the doctor said the pain was coming from my neck. He took X-rays and I have two broken screws between C5 and C6. I also have the titanium plates. I'm now trying to obtain my medical records to see who the screw manufacturer was. My original surgeon has moved to another state. I will be going for an MRI next week.

What has happenned since you originally wrote? Did you have to have surgery? What advice did your doctors give you before any surgery?

Thank you!

AMR

I had surgery in 2001, c5-6,6-7 titanium screws with plate and cadaver
bone. I am an ER RN and returned to work 4 months later afteR PHYSICAL THERAPY and returned to full duty. Today I was helping
with a combative patient who was high on meth and cocaine and
got jerked back and forth x 2, in a few minutes my neck and right
wrist were hurting, I continued to work and as the day wore on
increasing pain, I filed injury report and had x-rays two of my
screws are broken at 5-6, I was put off work immediately.

what have you found out, is this a defect? what are they going to
do about your situation. any advice would be helpful.

thanks cocoaok

I had a c5 c6 fusion with 4 screws and a plate in 1/06. I was in constant pain. The doctors made me feel like I was crazy but I knew the pain was real. The MRI showed that two of the screws were a little to long but should not be causing the problem. Push came to shove and I just had another surgery on 5/22/07. They took two screws out but when they tried to take out the 3rd one the screw driver tore off the top of the head of the screw. I know have a screw with no head another full screw and the plate. The doctors tell me there is nothing they can do for me. Still in pain. More now then before.

aubsun wrote:

amrsurgsales wrote:

Hi!

Thank you!
AMR

Hi I am a postop pt from 1995 I have had 2 surg on C3 C4 C5 I had symptoms after my second surg pain in both my elbows and my hands go numb when I use them for several min at a time lots of stiff necks and some burning in my shoulder and down my arm I was told not to worry about It, It has nothing to do with my neck and they didnt know why I had these symptoms I went for my 2 wk check up after the surg they took an x-ray and said everything looked great I told them about my elbows and other symptoms same reply as I looked closer at the x-ray I saw something white going across the titanium plate that was put in my neck for suport the white line was right were C5 is suppose to be I asked the doctor what is this white line I said it looks like it's broke he looked closer and said it is broke but that doesnt matter I asked him could there be any chance that this could be causing my symptoms he stated no I have been told several time that the symptoms I live with today are symptoms of C5 disc I continue to search for someone to take this plate out It is sitting sideways where the screws are place under the broken part of the plate and it puts pressure on c6 c7 I will I pray find someone to remove this plate I pray that you are doing to best you can and do not give up Thank you for listing

%-) I am 3 wks away from ACD& Fusion. Scared. Wondering if anyone's had this procedure in Nortwestern Westchester and Knows of the surgeons. Also would like any feedback good or bad. JM

I had a 2 level cervical disc fusion usind cadavre bones in 8/08 and now they tell me that 2 of the screws are broken abd they keep dragging their feet and keep me on pain meds and I am still out of work. I need advice on what to do. Are they using inferior screws or is it just a surgery that needs more practice? I am a classical guitarist and can not play but a few moments at a time. Does anyone know of a recall on these screws? where do I get help? I do not want to have the surgery again because they want to put new plate in front and 2 in back then wire a cage around it. this seems as though it will cause more problems than I have now...we all hate pain!!!

Fusion of C4-6 May 2006 - surgeon used plate w/ 5 titanium screws. Loss of voice after lumbar surgery (July 2008) & throat & arm pain. Went in & had x-rays taken ordered by my neurosurgeon. He discovered that 4 out of the 5 screws are now broken in half. This is not the result of a fall or any other neck trauma. The Dr. sent me home & said he would get in touch w/ the screw mfg so that a recall could be issued. Now I am sitting & waiting to see if I need another surgery or what they are going to do.

Everyone needs to find out who their mfg is & if we all have the same mfg, it could mean a class action lawsuit. Does anyone have this information? Please post your responses.

ok so I am only 26 and when I was younger I had scoliosis surgery with titanium rods and screws and had broken both arms with plates and screws to fix both. now i broke my neck (im obviously lucky) and am getting ready to have my C5/C6 plated and pinned in. I have a lot of metal and have NEVER heard of any screws breaking or anything like that and now Im freaked out. I had my spine surgery 12 years ago and have had zero problems. now that i am older i am nervous it will be worse. urghh. I wasn't nervous bc all of my surgeons are AMAZING and I am really confident in the one that is doing C5/C6. What happened with the breaking screws? have you found out who made them? I have had a healthy, happy, active, crazy life even with all of my surgeries and am only hoping this neck one goes as well. I feel for all of you as I know the trouble and ache of screws that no one believes is true- that's bc they don't have any!! i know they hurt in winter, i know YES YOU CAN feel them, I know you have unexplained pain on random days, I hear you. I wish you all the best and I hope you puch for a resolve and you are soon underway to a repair and healthy happy life.
be strong.
Stephanie

I too have had cervical surgery and now find myself with two broken screws in my neck. I get injections and medication for the pain. my biggest concern is what can I do? i am terrified of becoming paralised. are there any answers? and perhaps a class-action law suit?

I have surgery 8 months ago, I am diabetic and the surgeon insisted that he take a bone graft from my hip as it would "heal" better. Now I find myself with two of the four screws not taking and it is become necessary to Fuse C7.

In reading through these posts in appears that there are many issues with the hardware. Before I go through another procedure I would love to know if in fact there are any defects in hardware and is one manufacture better then another.

Thanks you

I had a double fusion in November 2008 after pain for 8 years +/- and went for follow up xrays yesterday 6-9-09 and one of the top screws were broke (still in pain) and it just made me sick to think I may need more surgerys. I still have to wear neck collars because of the pain no matter what I do. Anyone in the same boat?

Stop seeing the neurosergeons! go to an Orthopedic Spinal doctor! They deal with only ortho spine related issues...

yes but not in my neck my bolts broke in my lower spine.

I'm having the c5-6 c6-7 fusion done on 10/22. I freaked out when the drs. office finally decided to mention off hand that I was going to be in a collar for 3 months and in bed for 2. in the five years I've been trying to get this done w a myriad of drs. NOBODY mention this extremely difficult and prolonged recovery period. Whenever the operation was discussed, they played it off like it was no big deal, I'd be out of the hospital in a day or 2. I'm just in a state of shock. All I read is that screws break, pain continues or worsens, and a lot of medication seems to be needed. I, a few weeks prior to finding out about the surgery decided that I was done with morphine (avinza), I'd been on it for over 5 years and I hated it. Now, am I going to have to go back on it, or some other addictive narcotic? I am doing this operation so I don't have to be a heavily medicated zombie and I hoped to be able to Really play with my kids. This isn't the only problem with my neck, my c1-c2 area ligaments have become over extended and useless (I've seen my skull slip off the side of my spine). So, I didn't have much hope for this surgery fixing my life, but now I'm really concerned this is just going to add to my problems, not diminish them. I Really don't want to go back on the narcotics. I just want to be able to be myself and enjoy my family and I am so tired of being incapacitated by pain and the and/or the meds (usually and). Does anyone have any encouraging words? Am I better off letting my spine deteriorate on its own without having it messed with and further damaged?