Has anyone that has had cerivcal neck fusion experience bad headaches afterwards. Mine are right across my forehead and are really bad. the drs are saying that they are coming from my neck. I was just wondering if anybody else has had to deal with this.

thanks

Yes. This has been an ongoing problem for me also.
I not only have them across my forehead I also have them in the back of my head right above the neck area.
If you are able to try laying your on your back with your head on your pillow? (It took me awhile to be able to do this & I still can't do it very long). Anyway now put one of your arms up and rest it on your forehead. Can you feel it pull the muscles in the back of your neck?
Though a doctor has not told me my headaches are caused by the muscle strain...that is what I think it is.
I try to pay attention to how I sleep. Depending on what position I wake up I can almost guess (if my head isn't hurting already) what side or place I will develope a headache as the day goes on.
Just to be safe you probably should get a second opinion..it could be caused by something else.
Have you experienced any dizziness when you turn your head a certain way? That just started for me about 4 mos ago...and Im wondering if I should be concerned.
Thanks.

hi I had a fusion at c6-7 in Feb, 2010 and at first it helped alittle. Now I am getting bad headches daily at different times of the day and it interfers with my daily living. They usually start at the base of my neck and works its way up the back of my head. I have tried lots of medications but no results..If anyone has suggestions please help...

if i didnt know any better i would think you were talking about me. i had the C-6 and C-7 fusied in June of 2008, at first the surgery seemed to have worked. it lasted about three months and then i started getting knots in the back of my neck and bad headaches i am using Maxalt10 when i get a real bad miagrain. So far the best thing i have found is a real cold, dark, quite bedroom. o.O

good luck

I had my C1-C2 fused and get daily head aches right in my temple. I have been to way to many doctors for this. The only thing that helped they stopped doing because of cancer risk i think. It was Botox injections all throughout my neck and temples. The other thing that helped me which i could not continue due to financing was a seizure pill called Axert. They were like $80 for 6 pills so i could not afford that. If anyone had any Suggestions without taking a loan out, please let me know. I am 25 and been going through this for 7 years now and i am DONE with head aches.

i had a c6 c7 and have been healthy all my life. never had a headache or been injured before. what i can understand is why i still continue to have pain and headaches that begin in my eye and go to my head and my neck starts hurting bad. im back on medicine daily and just wish someone would of said theres all these risk involved. its seem s once u have a neck fusion u never really recover. u only feel a little better than u did before the surgeory. but can never do the things ive always been able to do anymore. going for another mri cause now 3 years later feel pain almost as much as before i had the surgeory is it really worth it to do again or do i just deal with this constant weight on my neck that lives on me everyday.

Hello all
Just had fusion of c6 and c7 last week. Think I made the right decision because was living with worst pain down right shoulder and arm daily. So this week I find myself having nausea, dizziness and bad frontal headaches. Went to emergency room did a ct scan and spinal tap. Nothing to report. I think the big thing for me is noise and light. Sitting in dark room and rest,helps somewhat. There is an anti sezuire medication called Gabapatin probably not spelling correctly."sorry have a headache now. But like to here what others have tried. God bless,good speed on recovery folks.

Another thought I had was wearing the neck brace could help. But Docs and nurses say this generally is for while driving with someone or temp movement because if u where to much muscles cannot heal properly.

I had 2 level anterior cervical fusion, C-5-6-7, in April 2009.  Headaches started within 3 months after surgery.  They may be in the back near my neck, across my forehead or at the worst a full blown migraine.  This has been going on every day without fail for 3 years now.  Of course my surgeon assured me the surgery could not possibly cause these headaches. (sarcasm is my strong point)  Four other doctors, two physical therapists and three chiropractors have all told me it is most certainly a result of the surgery. The only thing that has helped is Excedrin Extra Strength or equivalent sometimes along with a hot pack across the back of my neck and/or forehead.  (If Excedrin ever comes back on the market, don't bother buying the Migraine strength at additional cost.  The extra strength is exactly the same according to the labeled ingredients)  I've tried several prescription meds with no luck.  Acupuncture, physical therapy and chiropractic manipulation have not worked. The only answer I've heard from any healthcare professional so far is, "I'm sorry."  I will admit the fusion stopped the terrible pain I had before the surgery but the headaches are almost as debilitating.  However, I refuse to give up without a fight.  There has to be a way to control these headaches.

i had a 4/5/6 cervicle fusion done in 2009 and one of them never formed any bone. the dr could have saved me a lot of trouble and pain if he would have told me that it rarely works. i have headaches every day and it varies from the back of my neck to the forehead to the temples and even yop of my head. nothing works not even pain pills and the only fix the dr recommends is having another fusion! I DONT THINK SO!!!! if any else is considering this surgery, you might want to reconsider. being young and healthy doesnt always mean it will heal properly.

I had surgery at the end of May 2012, on C4/C5 it seems I had an impinged nerve going up to brain, so was in A&E most weeks, on morphine! Doctors did not care less about the pain I was in, anyway, for the first two weeks after the surgery I had no pain at all, I thought my life finally starting, but now I am getting pain between shoulder blades and pain across my head, then migraine, I am not waking with it, it is coming on through the morning, I really want to know what the hell is going on, does anyone know, what I can do, to stop this daily pain in the head? please help?

I had a fusion of C5/6 a month ago and I am starting to have headaches now. I have had them 3 days in a row. My whole head feels like it's going to explode but mostly it's across my forehead. I havent been to the Dr for my follow up yet so I dont know what the will say....

At times I try Advill ..if it doesnt help..I take a percocet when all else fails. It certainly helps. I had the 5 & 6 level done I experience this head and neck pain but also the tingling in my feet where I cant even stand on them. At times half of my hand and arm is numb. My nerves go crazy!

At times I try Advill ..if it doesnt help..I take a percocet when all else fails. It certainly helps. I had the 5 & 6 level done I experience this head and neck pain but also the tingling in my feet where I cant even stand on them. At times half of my hand and arm is numb. My nerves go crazy! Any one else have nerve tingling issues??

I have had headaches for four months now, and they are recommending neck surgery. I have two disc that are about to go bad and they tell me it is causing my headaches. That's not good. Can you tell me how long it took you before you were able to do regular stuff, like house keeping and getting around. They told me I would feel like new after two days.