Is scar tissue from spinal fusion fixable? I had L5 fusion 3 years ago,
and did fine for about 8 months, then started having nerve shocks into
my legs which is controlled with meds., but have such pain now in my legs
that I am only able to do about half of what I did before the sugery and
have had a spinal stimulator implanted, it doesn't do much and have to
take pain medications daily. I hate where I'm at with the pain. We're
looking into nerve blocks to see if we can figure exactly which nerve is
causing all of this, then possibly more surgery? Any advise?
Thanks,
paulap

I had L4 to L5 fusion 5 years ago, i have had the same symptons that you discribe. Mine would come and go and while i was looking at my X-rays one night i noticed that one of the screws in my pelvic bone had moved about 1-2mm this was enough to put every thing out of alignment causing sharp pains in my legs, and some times causing my legs to go numb below my knees. After about 6months after a lumbar fusion you no longer really need any hardware in your back. and in some cases it can cause problems, you might want to talk to your doctor about removing it.

I've also had 3 level fusion L2,3,and4. I was good for 6years then I started to have low back pain. I got steroid injections which helped for about 4 years now I've gotten pain again> Was told needed more back surgery> Don't want that,so I'm getting steroid shots again. They work for about 2-3mos. and then the pain starts again. I was told the a stimulator might help,but there are pros and cons. my is regarding scarring were my fusions are.
Just got an injection yesterday-June 18,2014.

Your a junkie...guit taking all the pain medication. That's what you truly care about, your thought process and then your actions all return you back to pain meds being the answer to your perceived nerve problems.

nice forum great sharing

guest drunk replied "guit taking" you mean quit taking. You know nothing about chronic pain.

I had the same experience after cervical fusion. As it turns out the screws were too long. Had them taken out and it has made a world of difference. This was 18 months after the intial surgery.

I had levels L4-5 and L5-S1 fused in 2001. I had very little lower back pain post-surgically, but over the years I developed horrible lower back pain that is constant. It keeps me up at night, and Tramadol only gives me slight relief. I need something done to get rid of this awful pain. I also have Arachnoiditis with an implanted spinal cord stimulator, but this is neuropathic pain in my legs, and not the back pain. What can I do. I'm losing my mind.

I had a lock nut get loose in my hardware and it was grinding in my back. When surgeon opened me up, there were fine pieces of metal grinding in my back.

Is scar tissue formed after 2 yes of surgery.??? I had my microdiscetomy on 2015 for l4-l5 ...after 2 yes I'm getting severe pain in my same left back and it's continue till knee...had a contrast MRI and my doc says it's a scar tissue not a disc bulge ...I'm continuosly doing physiotherapy as suggested by doc it's almost 10 days my pain is unbearable sometimes don't know what to do...?

I had anterior L5/S1 fusion with cage and screws Mar 2015. I was OK for about 3 months, then pain crept back worse than before surgery. I have had 3 SI joint shots, nerve blocks, 2 epidurals, all of which gave me no longer than about 2 weeks pain relief per procedure. Two MRI's since the surgery shows nothing wrong. X-rays just show major scar tissue and inflammation. What I am wondering, is how can anyone tell if there is a problem or not with the hardware, when you have to lie perfectly still during an MRI? Every day my activity level gets less and less, and I hate having to rely on pain killers and muscle relaxers in order to get through a day with any level of "comfort" or to tackle mandatory housework.

I had a discectomy in Feb 2014 and a fusion in April 2014 and am still.having issues. Tramadol don't do anything I'm on oramorph may and pregabalin and they don't seen to.be doing much. In constant pain despite meds. Had a bad flare up 3 weeks ago.and had urgent not and now I have a small disc bulge at l3/4 and at l5/s1 where I had both ops these is a distortion in the thecal sac. Im.awaiting steroid injections to.see if this will help but losing sensation in left leg is no fun. Constant numbness and pins and needles

Tell me. What on earth gives you the authority to accuse people of this?

What a dummy. You must watch too much TV and don’t have any idea what your talking about!!