Hi, I'm a very active mother (40) of 2 very active young kids, practice and teach Ashtanga yoga (i own a studio). A neuro told me today that I need fusion for a severe herniation at c5-6 - which i expected. What I did NOT expect was to be told that I will not be able to practice yoga, run or do anything else that puts any strain on my neck. Swimming & walking, she said, that's it. She said if I went back to yoga as I know it I'll be back within a couple years for more surgery. I can live with some modification but not what she's 'prescribed.'

Next to my family, yoga is my life. My heart and soul have gone into my studio. Getting a second opinion, of course, but would like to hear what others have experienced as far as physical activity, restrictions, etc. Thanks!

Hi there, I think it's unfortunate that you were told that but I do know that fusion surgery can put quite a crimp on your enjoyment of your favorite activities, but I hadn't heard it being a permanent thing! I think that getting a second opinion is a great idea. Are there other neurosurgeons in your area?

I had my 1st 3 level cervical 4,5,& 6 in 2008 by orthopedic surgeon. I had my second 4 level 3,4,5,& 6 in 2013 by a neronsurgeon I have degenerative disc problem it went alot
better & it has been a little over 2 yrs now. First one did not heal right. I was told not to go on any roller coasters, roller skate or ride horses anymore. Hopefully I will not get into a car wreck from behind this will be very dangerous. Dr. Robert Tibbs of okc, ok he is a great doctor I will need another one around 10 years.