Good Morning Everyone~

I am 9 months post op.  I was wondering if anyone out there has had a chronic cough as well as being light headed since having their Anterior Cervical Fusion and if yes, does it get better?

I had my fusion in April 2012 and have had issues of pain in my neck and left arm as well as a swelling/tight feeling in my neck at the incision.  I can't sing like I used to either... I have had the most irritating cough and it has gotten so bad that I actually cracked a rib.  The doctors can't find a reason for the cough (I do not see my original surgeon now as he is in Texas and I have moved to Montana).  The cough originates at the base of my plate (c5, c6, c7 are fused). 

Also, does anyone know what the rejection symptoms are?  I have felt like c**p since having this done too and I am always running a low grade fever. 

Insight would be wonderful from anyone who has gone through this or is going through this and what can I do?

Thank you!!

I have had 2 fusions done, after the 2nd one i've had swelling in throat, trouble swallowing and cough,  mild sore throat here and there. and still in pain. now they say i should have steroid injections or rhizotomy but i havent read anything good about it so i will probably just deal with the pain

I too have a cough since neck op driver of mad and makes my neck tight . I'm 8 months post op and don't feel I'm getting anywhere

I have swelling under chin plus a cough so fed up feeling so rough

Hi! I had an anterior cervical fusion in April 2017 and I have had extreme coughing ever since! I had a major problem with swallowing as well, but it’s beginning to get a little better. The coughing, however, has been HORRIBLE! I cough and cough until I gag and feel like I can’t breathe! I saw my neurosurgeon yesterday and he said that this is actually rather rare, but it may take as long as a year for it to get better.

My husband had ACDF on 5/22/18 - he has exactly what you are talking about - persistent cough where sometimes he says he can't catch his breathe. We are seeing surgeon today to see what can be done....

I had the same surgery (c4/c5) in Nov 2018 and have the same symptoms. My surgeon seems surprised and I don’t think he believes me with my persistent cough, dizziness and constant pain.

I had my anterior cervical dissection and fusion last Nov. 2018 and have had dry hacking cough, horse raspy voice ever since. I also have had a droopy eye since the surgery. I am going to eye Dr. tomorrow and my surgeon said he is probably going to send me to an ENT, but ENT Dr. said I had to wait till 3 months from surgery date before I can see him Wants to make sure I am completely healed. I have gotten to the point to where I don't go anywhere unless I have to because of my voice and droopy eye so I hope things will improve soon