Hi. My boyfriend has stenosis and a surgeon has suggested the above surgery, with "alograph and anteriror cervical locking plate. He is 444. We would like to avoid surgery. Is there anything way to avoid this? He has a lot of pain and numbness in his hand and trouble walking...Does anyone know any alternatives to surgry? the surgeon is not very forthcoming with alternatives..Many thanks!!!

Go get a 2nd or a 3rd opinion to get an answer. However, I do know that the longer the the nerves are stressed/pinched the higher the chances are for permanent damage. If he's having trouble walking and has numbness, well I think that says it all. Nobody wants surgery, however if all avenues have been exhausted, a good, reputable surgeon should tell you this.

Good luck-jc ;-)

The only non-surgical alternatives I've heard of involve managing the pain with physical therapy, cortisone shots and pain management counseling. You may want to get a 2nd opinion, but numbness and weakness are usually indicators or something pressing on the nerve. If he does have stenonsis, it needs to be corrected and it probably won't get better - only stabilize or get worse. Get a 2nd opinion - you don't want him to get permanent nerve damage.

Best of luck to you both!!

I have a question. I had surgery 5 yrs ago to fuse C-5-6. Now, I need 2 more fusions at 4-5 and 6-7 mostly because of stenosis. The number I was told that I have for my spine space is 5 and the normal number is 13 or above that even. My doctor said stenosis starts at 10. this was evaluated by MRI and mylegram CT.
I know it sounds bad but I am very functional. I do have some neck pain at times and I can't look up for very long without my right arm going numb but I a manage pretty well. No weakness or bad gait either. I think my reflexes are somewhat hyper now.
My question is do I really need to have surgery now if my symtoms are not severe? Could I wait until they are more severe before having surgery? My concern is that if I have it now in 5 years will I need yet another fusion above and below the disks that are being fused now? If I do this I will have a 3 level fusion. That seems like a lot and I can't imagine a 5 level fusion!
Can anyone answer these questions for me?
Thank you so much!
Susan