Well I am on day 6 of my Effexor withdrawl. What was I thinking when I started taking this stuff! I just wanted to feel normal, like everyone else in the world. I have GAD and Social Phobia. I did not have RX coverage and was so excited when I finally had a job that had RX coverage. I couldn't wait to get help. Now I regret ever thinking my life was going to be normal after taking this drug. I pretty much was experiencing every side effect possible heavy sweating, vivid strange dreams, bloating, bruising etc. I am so sick right now. I can't concentrate, visual disturbances, major headache. I am so scared. All I ever wanted was to be normal and now I feel like I'm knocking on deaths door. I'm not suicidal but I can't even enjoy waking up at this point during this damn withdrawl. Please help me. I can't live like this. How long am I going to suffer? I can't believe MD's give Rx's for this stuff. I feel like I'm a heroin addict. I am not a drug user but Effexor has made me feel like one. I HATE EFFEXOR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! When is this crazy nightmare going to stop and please tell me eventually it will stop? This drug needs to be taken off of the market and illegal to prescribe. Don't get me wrong when I was on Effexor I felt NOTHING so I guess you can say it was working for me. Is the withdrawl like sort of an insurance for the drug company to be gaurenteed people will continue to take their drug? :'(

i feel the same way you do today is 4-1 and i'm about where you were when you wrote this blog. please tell me how you are doing, because i feel the same way and just want it to be over :-(

I started taking effexor xr about 7 months ago. I have GAD. I quit drinking and smoking before I took this drug. I wasn't trying to use this as a supplemtent to help me quit smoking. I am still smoke and alcohol free. I went to the doctors about a month ago because I was feeling like it wasn't working anymore, or that maybe it was seasonal depression due to the winter. I've been on and off anti depressants. He suggested taking welbutrin. I was weened off the effexor, and experienced withdrawals, but not like what is going on now. I am a mess. These withdrawals are the worst feelings I have ever had. My first day of welbutin, I could not control my emotions. I wasn't sure if it was side effects of welbutrin or withdrawals that are still from effexor. Crying, worse anxiety, feeling clumsy, feels like a ear or sinis infection, ringing in the ears, that zap feeling in my head, fatigue, sore muscles, no appetite at all, the runs, heart palpatations. I called my doctor immediately and he said it was because of the depression. Well one week later, today 5/1/08 it feels like I am worse. He said to stop looking at all the side effects. WELL WHEN YOU FEEL LIKE YOUR HEART IS GOING TO EXPLODE, and when you read the label on the prescription bottle, it says contact the doctor immediatly. I wonder if I am damaging my heart with this. I am 28 going on 29. I called the doctor again and told him I wanted off the welbutrin. I was doing research all day, and I came across this site and now realise its the effexor withdrawals. My doctor didn't believe me, and now he is going on vacation for a week and wont prescribe me effexor again until he comes back. I don't understand why he couldn't just call it in. He wants the money. This is definatly an addictive drug. I need my fix of effexor. I can't help it, and I don't want it, but I can't be like this. I really thought I was alone, people who don't suffer from what we have or what we are going through don't understand. I'm trying to use my humor to beat this, but its getting the best of me. Good luck to all of you. We have a long road ahead of us. Keep me posted if any luck on this brain damaging drug, or repost. If this makes no sense, it's because of the effexor!!

My husband is also suffering from Effexor withdrawal, his biggest complaint being terrible tremors that don't allow him to sleep. Last night I think he may have slept a total of 2 hours. He has no appetite, is moody, and feels tingling in his hands and feet. Two weeks ago he was at our doctor complaining of muscle and joint pain. Because he's also on Lipitor, the doctor told him to stop taking it, but I'm beginning to think it's also part of the withdrawl symptoms. He's been very emotional and I thought it may have been the lack of sleep, but again, it's part of the side effects of coming off the drug. Our doctor prescribed yet another psychiatric drug as a temporary solution, which my husband will not take. After reading the side effects, I don't blame him. To combat the side effects, he did purchase vitamins that are supposed to have a calming affect. Since it's only been a couple of days, I can't say whether or not this is going to work. At this point, I would gladly sue the manufacturer. I don't think the anxiety and depression my husband suffered from was as bad as the withdrawal symptoms. I did read in another blog from 2004 of a product GNC made called "Cleansing Formula", which is supposed to help eliminate the remains of the Effexor and ease the withdrawal symptoms. I'm going to look for it tomorrow - it's worth a try. Good luck to everyone out there going though this - I feel your pain!

I am currently taking effexor. I have had all side effects, the tremors, weight gain, severe sweating, not sleeping, and most recently severe bruising. I forgot to take it a couple of weeks ago and I was a mess. My husband wanted to take me to the ER because he didn't know what was wrong with me. I felt nausiated, had a headache, couldn't see straight, couldn't walk or talk. It was horrible until I took my missed dose. I am still on it, but I'm concerned about the bruising. Other people are noticing them and I don't know what to say. I don't know if this is serious or not?

Hay guys and gals, I too am suffering withdrawls from effexor. Its been almost 2 weeks since I stopped taking it and its been an... interesting ride!

I was on the drug for about a year and a half, its kinda blurry to think back so I'm not sure exactly how long without checking physically checking. The side effects were bad enough when I was on the drug. Worst of all was the killing of my sex drive! how do you explain to the one you love so they can fully understand why your not interested in them the same way you used to be, that they shouldn't feel insulted. It certainly took away some of the specialness of my wedding nite! fortunately tho, it was beautiful despite this. I came to a point where I fully understood that the drug served its purpose in my life and it was time to move on, to be free of it.

2 weeks of withdrawal symptoms and I'm struggling to hold on to my happiness. The symptoms eat away at my confidence and peace, leaving me irritable and short tempered. I feel sorry for my wife, who loves me dearly and puts up with me as I go thru this rough time. I know the symptoms will eventually wear off, I hold on to that thought tightly. Does anyone know how long it will take? The dizziness is less pronounced, yet still noticeable. My emotions are all over the shop some days. They feel so bright and I've lost the ability to live at peace with them day to day. As for my sex drive... well lets just say that it comes and goes. When its working, its like my emotions, all over the shop, overly sensitive. Not to mention the all the other more subtle symptoms.

If I myself can share anything that may help, its that these symptoms WILL pass. Our body's are amazing survivors and are often better able to look after themselves then we can. You are beautiful, each unique and priceless. You can do anything you set your mind to if you keep your eyes on the prize ie. being free of this crappy drug.

Also, minimizing all of the c**p you eat, even to the point of going vegetarian for 10days or so, gives your body a great chance to catch up and heal itself. I hate to think how much worse I'd feel right now if I wasn't detoxing my diet at the same time.

Lastly, as someone who has taken Effexor, I must say this. Effexor can give you the break you need to address your issues or change your lifestyle. Its a temporary fix only and even then, only if you cant find another way. Please do yourself a favor, find a way off this drug sooner rather then later.

Hi guys

I am reading your posts and wondering if any of you have been told by your doctors NOT to stop taking efexor suddenly? If you are to come off efexor it should be done extremely slowly, at a very minimal rate. The side effects are way less and life is more manageable.

Having taken efexor myself for 14 months now, I can vouch for the drug's effectiveness against anxiety and depression, as I was an absolute mess before I started taking it. I had just experienced a total nervous breakdown, and my husband had left me because of it. I started efexor 2 weeks after my breakdown and life became 'doable' again.

Don't lose faith in the drug's usefulness. It is there as a tool. And like any chemical withdrawl, coffee, nicotine or heroin etc, you will feel crappy not having it. Your body is telling you, 'go get me some'! Come off it slowly, lowering your dose extremely cautiously, and most of all, get yourself a doctor that knows what he/she is doing. Too many doctors hand out antidepressants and antibiotics too eagerly to see the back end of you, without really understanding what life is like on the drugs and also coming off them.

Take care and best of health to you!
:-)

This med. is not a tool....a tool you can put down!!! I am weaning of this med. and i have never felt soooooooooooooooooooooo horriable in my entire life!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I would like the manufactuer to take this pill and then try to get off!!!!!!!!!! If you just started this STOP!!!!!!!!!!!!!! before it's toooooooooo late....everytime i take a step....I feel shock go through my whole body, I can't stand myself or anyone around me I don't know if and when this will go away!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Please help to ease the pain!!!!!!

I've been off effexor for about three weeks. I took it for about 5 years. I get these mental zaps all the time. I hope they stop.

how long did the dizzness last? I am at my wits end... i a miserable... its been about a week and my hubby and i who already had a rough marriage well... he wants a divorce now. what a great time to pop that when i am miserable anyway... but the dizziness... when will it subside? if i sit still and dont look around i am fine, look around and i am a mess...

I originally got on the computer to find the same answer you seek...How long will the dizziness last. I am AMAZED to see all the people who absolutely HATE this drug. I have been trying off and on for two months to successfully get off this drug. About a month ago I was the one who asked for a divorce. I think the pressure of the drug (and not even understanding what was happening to me) really took ahold of me. I am so sorry about your home situation and pray it gets better for you. I hope he does some research himself to see what you're going through. Good luck with your drug withdrawal situation, I myself am going to the doctor to see if there is anything I can take to help with the drug...ie dizziness pills or motion sickness pills or ANYTHING. Good luck. I will be routing for you. 8)

I have been on Effexor for several years and have been weaning over a month now so that me and my hubby can start trying for a family.

Sorry "photobabe' , but the withdrawels from this is NOTHING like caffeine withdrawels. I have NEVER felt this bad in all my life. I am in a contant daze and dizzy, and the tremors(almost like cold chills in my tummy) are getting to me. I was on a high dose, so it is taking me a while to wean. I have had the headaches, upset stomach, emotion rollercoster, and mental fog. I can't think straight at work, well anywhere about anything really. I told my hubby I feel like I am in the Matrix or something, slow motion, out of body type feel.

Good news is I have weaned down and have actually been off for 3 days now with no pills. I am still feeling some of the withdrawel effects, but I think if I can just get it out of my system I would feel so much better. I feel worse coming off this stuff than I ever did on it or before I went on it. My advice is don't take Effexor unless absolutely necessary, try taking other antidepressants first, something. I had weaned off another antidepressant prior to being switched to Effexor and I don't remember having ANY side effects that time.

Best of luck to you all!

So I have been on Effexor XR for 12 years. I just married and the past four years of my life I have felt stable enough to come of the drugs. I have been slowly coming off Effexor for three years now. To those of you that think time makes a difference, it doesn't! Everytime I have incramented down it feels just as crapy! I just took my last dose a week ago and the withdrawls are so flu like, I feel absolutly crazy and I hate all my friends for no good reason at all. It doesn't matter how much you take or how long you have been on Effexor, the with drawls are aweful and the manufacturers should be shot. Better yet, they should all have to take the drug and then feel how fabulous it is to come off of it. Good luck my fellow addicts, you too will make through hell and back!

I am on day four of tapering off my Effexor. Today is the first day I have really noticed a big difference. I am shaky, and when i look around or turn my head I get zappy or dizzy-ish. I'm crying randomly too! This is ridiculous!

I have been on Effexor for about 3 years, and it has helped me with anxiety however, trying to get off of it has been a nightmare. Its taken me a year or so because i just couldn't do it. I was on 150 but now am down to 37.5 (over 1 year i weaned down) i feel pretty bad right now.. dizzy, nauseous, tired, etc, but i am determined to get off this drug.

My advice is to go slooooowwwlllyyy its helped. Stay on the dose you wean down to for a couple of months, then try the next. Unfortunately, its just a horrible process you have to go through...

Doctors should let people know how strong this drug is before its prescribed. I cant believe i didn't do any research before taking it. Well, live and learn! Best of Luck- i feel your pain, it sucks.