A few months ago, my doctor saw that I had elevated blood platelets (480,000) during routine blood work. She sent me to a hematologist, who tested for a number of things that may be causing the platelets to be high. He determined that I had positive ANA with a titer count of 1:640. Yet, he said I was negative for the rheumatoid factor as well as a more specific Lupus test (I don't remember exactly what this test was called, something with DNA). I am very frustrated because I still have no answers regarding why the ANA count would be so high if I am testing negative for all of these autoimmune diseases. Is it possible to have no AI diseases and still have positive ANA count of 1:640? I heard that the normal count is 1:40, so this seems very high to me and is causing much anxiety. Any help or ideas would be much appreciated!

Hi:
I'm sorry that I don't have the specific answers that you are looking for, but I'd like to be a little helpful. My understanding is that lupus can be very difficult to diagnose. You can be misdiagnosed. Have you tried for a second opinion? Are you working with medical professionals who specialize in and are known for their research and work with autoimmune diseases? This would be important. If you have not already, seek out a teaching hospital or well known institution and see if you get answers there. Good luck to you. I know that you ll find your answers very soon. Take care and please let us know what you find out and how you are doing.

That sounds very strange as you are testing for what sounds like autoimmune disorders without testing positive for anything else. The thing is, are you actually having any symptoms? If you're not and you feel fine otherwise, I'm not sure that this is anything you should really worry that much about. You could always get a second opinion. It is possible that you don't have any disease of that sort but a positive ANA count of 1:640. In any case, please keep us posted on what you choose to do.

Hi, I to tested positive for ANA and negative on RA and the others. Mine was 1:80 with a homogeous pattern. I have systems of lupus like the malar rash and sun sensetivity as we as IBS and CFS and Pain in my muscles and joints as well as some others. My doctor said I was fine. But I have been getting worse so I went to a naturopath and took every lab result as well as every visit summary and she told me that your ANA does not test positive unless something is wrong. She also noticed that my red blood cells were alarmingly small and that my cholesterol was also really low. She also noticed my thyroid was low and that no matter how much vitamin D I take it does not make a difference my number is still 15. Also I am bruising very easy and every scratch or cut turns into a scare. So she did a saliva test and a stool sample and another blood test.

My question to anyone out there is. Can you have a positive ANA and other test neg. and also have alot of lupus key symptoms and still not have lupus? I am starting to get really frustrated because I cant manage in everyday things let alone work. So please let me know. And also if anyone has any advice about how to eat or excersise to help this that would be great to.

I don't know if this helps any ...I spoke to someone recently who'd gone through the same symptoms and tests. She ended up having the parvo virus/ fifth disease. After a simple treatment of medication she was all better! It turned out she'd gotten it from a student in the school who also had it. So maybe ask your doctor if Parvo is a possibility.

I have been suffering with rampant abdominal pain along with intermittent joint, bone, chest and vascular pain. My ANA test is positive 1:80 homogeneous pattern. My doctor dismissed all of my severe swelling, sharp pains and other acute symptoms recently. I have been trying to resolve my pain and dysfunction for over a year with no success. Just like you. Frustrated into hopelessness. . . And the doctors dont seem to care much at all

Guest wrote:

Insist they check for Hodgkins Lymphoma or Non-Hodgkins Lymphoma as it needs an biopsy and does not always show on bloodcounts for cancer.

just food for thought ask dr to test for candida or lyme disease and just because you test neg for luppus or rhem does not mean you do not have it as i found out later go to a rheumatologist-autoimmune specialst much more through testing or go to reg dr say lupus tests neg but the other dr thought testing for canidia or lyme would be good idea hope this helps

I just read that cancer can give you a positive ANA test so i would want to investigate everything possible if I were you! Many cancers don't have symptoms until too late and Doctors will not even think that until the last resort when everything else has been checked meanwhile months and yrs. can go by and then it is too late to treat So I would encourage you to do all the research you can about any symptoms no matter how minor they may seem. You really have to be aggressive if you want to save time! I wish you the best!

Hello...just wondering how you are now? I, too, just had blood work and have an ANA of 1:640 and have tested negative for lupus and other diseases. My rheumatologist said to wait for symptoms, but i am worried also. Thanks

Wow! I have ANA 1:640 and no other symptoms of lupus however I have mycosis fungoides which started with a rash on the breast. yet when I mention to my dermatologist who is treating me for mycosis fungoides that I have ANA 1:640 he said nothing as if it is not related.

It is anxiety mine has been high for years. Talked myself into to lupus never eventuated. Ignore the high Ana count unless other bad symptoms. Don't go on any steroids without a second even third opinion .1st guy I seen gave me plaquenil . Second guy couldn't believe it. Many things can cause high Ana. The worst thing it does is create anxiety, stop reading about it on dr Google,

I tested positive for homogeneous pattern 1:160 And I can barely stand up or sit down for too long because of the pain I also have rashes on my face which are uncomfortable and unsightly, i finally somewhat controlled the severe swelling by begging my new Primary doctor for a diuretic. And I too have tested negative for all of the other test for any other autoimmune disease. I'm confused I'm in a lot of pain and all they could tell me was that I need to see a Rheumatology and that I might also have polycystic ovary syndrome but nothing is certain and all making me sad.

Have you found anything out? Going through same thing now!

Have you found anything out? Just had a positive Ana of 1:640 and really stressing. No answers and so many tests! Thank you!