A few months ago, my doctor saw that I had elevated blood platelets during routine blood work. She sent me to a hematologist, who tested for a number of things that may be causing the platelets to be high. He determined that I had positive ANA with a titer count of 1:640. Yet, he said I was negative for the rheumatoid factor as well as a more specific Lupus test (I don't remember exactly what this test was called, something with DNA). I am very frustrated because I still have no answers regarding why the ANA count would be so high if I am testing negative for all of these autoimmune diseases. Is it possible to have no AI diseases and still have positive ANA count of 1:640? I heard that the normal count is 1:40, so this seems very high to me and is causing much anxiety.

You are correct. A positive ANA (anti-nuclear antibody) test is not definitive for autoimmune(AI) disease. In fact, 5 to 10% of the population tested positive for ANA without any AI disease. This percentage tends to increase with age. As much as 30% of the senior population tested positive for ANA without any AI disease. Other diseases such as mononucleosis, subacute bacterial endocarditis, autoimmune thyroid and liver diseases will cause the patient to test positive for ANA. On the other hand, 95% of all AI patients will test positive for ANA(5% false negative). Since you had tested negative for rheumatoid factor and for Lupus, your probability of having AI disease is low. I wish you the best that your doctors will soon determine the exact causes of your high platelet count.

Yes it does seem MUCH too high to be nothing, what are your symptoms if any? I may be able to help, and hopefully so.