Lately I found out that my maternal grandmother had lupus. Not so long time ago I have been diagnosed with costochondritis, though it has bothered me around 2 years. Now I am afraid because I have heard it can be prelude to lupus. I would like to know more about costorchondritis. Do I have great chances this is first symptom for getting lupus?

There are few blood tests that might determine if your costochondritis is caused by lupus or now. There is also possibility for biopsy to confirm any doubt. Biopsy is 100% accurate but blood tests are not. Costochondritis is disease that is caused by bracing part of the chronic fight or flight storage associated with chronic stress. All chronic conditions are worsened by chronic bracing, especially those that affect the connective tissue. Lupus is classic example for disease that affects connective tissues. The fact you had ask this question shows that you would greatly profit by gaining a much greater basic appreciation of how all this works together. Also, I have to tell you that costochondritis is much more likely a precursor of chronic fatigue syndrome or TMJ. Also, arthritis, tendonitis, fibromyosits, hypertension, high cholesterol, coronaries, strokes are commonly then it is lupus. Although, depends on your genetic susceptibility, it is possible costochondritis might be the first warning of that slippery slope.

Hi I think it is very interesting that you mentioned costochondritis and lupus together.
I am 30 years old and was diagnosed with costochondritis 2 years ago. Although I've had the rib pain for about 5 years. I've had strange things happen like my hair falling out, tonsilitis chronic, inflammed bladder, rash on my face, neck, and chest (not the butterfly rash) extreme fatigue, strange sores in my mouth, a slightly elevated white blood count 11.6, and teeth falling out. Not to mention I am of Italian decent. My doctor mentioned possiblility of lupus and is sending me for further testing.
I wonder if there truly is a link between chronic costochondritis and lupus.

I think you should stop all gluten in your diet. Sounds like you may have leaky gut. Get Sarah Ballantyn's Paleo Approach Diet and her cookbook. You can heal yourself through diet. It's a very long story for my health situation but I had costochondritis, anxiety, headaches, depression when I was in high school. I found out that I have an HLA DQ2 gene and am supposed to stay away from wheat and gluten. Hope that this helps

My goodness me! 'You can heal yourself through diet'??? Would you tell your own family that if they had cancer, genetic issues etc?? Seriously study Lupus please. It's Autoimmune/genetic! You cannot reprograme you antibodies through diet any more than you can heal a broken leg by eating a banana! You must think all us' ill' people are really unhealthy eaters and just a bit stressed. I give up. We spend most of our time trying to get people to understand our invisible and very debilitating illness. People used to die with 10yrs of lupus but it's medicine that has improved our condition not paleo.

So I know I am really late jumping into the convo here. I have Lupus and over two years ago I got a flare up of costochondritis that is debilitating and unrelenting. I do believe diet plays a part in our health, such as Omega 3's can help reduce inflammation and Omega 6's can cause it, but I don't think diet is the answer/cure.
The thing with autoimmune diseases like Lupus, RA, and even fibro is that they make you more susceptible to other diseases and illnesses. So while there isn't necessarily a link where having costo = having lupus, if you have lupus you're more likely to develop costochondritis.

Love this - thank you. The exact words I would use!

Very well said!

Our immune system primarily resides in our gut. Therefore more and more doctors are starting to treat the gut to treat the disease. My dr. Took me off of gluten, thinking I have a sensitivity, which can cause leaky gut syndrome. He says we can turn the autoimmune (I have lupus and hashi's) switch back off. He is a very well respected long time general practitioner who also has a degree in integrative wellness. I have seen him for 35 years. He is among many physicians who are realizing the western diet has systematically been ruining our health. I have many friends who have eczema (autoimmune) and say when they stop eating junk their eczema clears up. I'm not saying this is a miracle cure all for everyone and everything, but if you Do some research, you may find it encouraging.

Treat the gut, treat the disease, since our immune system is mainly in our gut. Some food is medicine, some is poison.

Fyi, many cancers are caused by diet, or can be prevented thru diet, or fought with diet. As well as autoimmune issues. Wake up to the fact that the western way of life is toxic, i.e processed foods, pesticides, smoking, laziness. Not really a mystery!

Agree. #lupusrecoverydiet #book #forksoverknives

I had all of that as well. Was diagnosed with pleurisy and a Lupus anticoagulant. Yet it took 5 more years for a rheumatologist to actually get a positive ANA on my bloodwork to say I had Lupus. I will admit, my internist made me see three different rheumatologists before she felt there was one that believed that the test would eventually turn positive and started me on the plaquenil immediately. I did have the mauler rash as diagnosed by a dermatologist. I just had some anomalies. My blood pressure would drop and heart rate would drop extremely low. The rheumatologist also believes there is another connective tissue disease going on. I’ve been having Lupus symptoms since my late teens and put it all up to my physical activity regular aches and pains yet the maylar rash started when I was 18. I was diagnosed at 45. I am now in Chronic Kidney Disease for three years and at first my kidneys improved for awhile on Cellcept. Now the function keeps getting worse. It’s a low stage 3 GFR of 36. So find a rheumatologist and keep getting tested. Don’t stop if one says no. Go twice a year for several years. Mine started in 2006. I was diagnosed in 2011 before I turned 46. I’m 51 now with digestive, CNS, muscular skeletal, and many more problems. I see specialists in about every field. I have neuropathy in all four appendages. There is no magic pill no cure but there is support and help. Go get it.