I recently started taking birth control for the first time two and a half months ago. I decided to take Seasonale to have the convienance of fewer periods. The first month I skipped my period as expected. But this month I started bleeding lightly after a week it started getting dark brown like it did when I was ending a period before I started brith control. But it is red again. I haven't even started taking the white pills to start my period. I know there is supposed to be breakthrough bleeding but should period last this long?

Yes what you are experiencing is normal! I know it is a bother and an annoyance, but it is to be expected.

I just started taking seasonale, I take at the same time everyday and I've never missed a pill. The first month I skipped my period, but by the 8th week I started to have light bleeding. The bleeding has contiuned for the entire 9th week and is the amount I would usually have at the end of my period. I wasn't worried cause I read that 1 out of three women will experience breakthrough bleeding to up to 20 days when starting seasonale, However the bleeding is constant and I've also been having cramps that range from very mild to sharp pain, I usually only cramp the day before I start my period, so this cramping is not normal for me. Also I passed tissue yesterday, it was about the size of a quater. I know during your period you may pass some tissue but this was something I've never have happened to me and the size scared me. So that is making me really worried, I plan on calling my doctor on monday, the office is closed on the weekends. But like you I'm three weeks away from starting the white pills, which was when my doctor told me to make an app. for a follow-up. So I don't know if I should wait a bit longer to see if it stops or go ahead and make an app.?

Have you seen any relief or any more trouble other then the breakthrough bleeding?

I am new to seasonale, but was on the traditional pill successfully for over 10 years. I am 7 weeks into my first pack and at weeks 5 and 6 would have literally a couple of spots of pink blood, sometimes after sex and sometimes not. This week I have had what seems like a really light period of brownish blood. I am willing to tough it out if this goes away after a pack or two of pills. Has anyone continued with the pills after having the spotting, or is there a better method of having seasonal periods that anyone knows about? Thank you.

I have been taking a birth control pill like seasonale (taking 3 months continuously) for almost a year. I used to have bleeding like you describe, but then it would go away, and each "cycle" of three months I would have less and less. Now it is almost non-existent, but usually there around the 46th pill. My dr. says that if you can live with it after (on average) a year your body will get used to it and the bleeding will stop. I figure that once you get there it's worth it, plus, even though you have some bleeding you still have less than you would if you were on regular pills! I think it's worth it - and over time it gets better. I expect mine will be gone within the next cycle or two.

I was on seasonale and on my 9th week I started breakthrough bleeding, which then turned to be full blown bleeding. I am now on day 19 and still heavy bleeding. My dr. took me off seasonale and I am now on YAZ, The bleeding did not stop and they have me now taking 2 pills a night to try to trick my body into stopping. I am now anemic and feel crappy. Also when I was on seasonale I notice I get very bloated and very crampy, also started to get constipated. The bloating and constipated is also gone away but I can't handle this bleeding for much longer. I wish I knew all this about Seasonale before taking it. Its awful.

Tracy,
Thanks for your post here. I'm glad I stumbled on it. I was taking Lybrel for a couple months and had 19 days of bleeding then they switched me to Seasonale'. I've had my period for 5 weeks now and my regular Doctor quit being a doctor so I need a new doctor and I can only imagine what they will say when I'm in there on the 6 or 7 the week .... I keep taking the Seasonale' because it's way better than letting my REAL cycle happen. My real cycle is worse mentally and physically. I'm doubling up on my Iron and Vitamins and eating lots of vegies and vigoursly exercising 5 days a week.

I haved been on Seasonale for three years now, but I was on regular birth control for 12 years before that. I all the months I have been on Seasonale I experienced breakthrough bleeding once, off and on for about 2 weeks. It was because I was trying to be slick and I wanted to skip my period at the end of my pack. Instead of taking the white pills I just started a new pack. Yup I skipped my August period, but October was not too fun. Like I said I was spotting off and on for about two weeks... nothing heavy, just a pain in the ass. I did have a normal period in November and since then I haven't had any other problems. I think if this going to be your first time taking birth control, your bound to have problems. I had problems when I fist started with regular birth control. It's normal and is to be expected, once your body gets used to it, it's a wonderful thing only having a period every three months ....

I've been having the same issue except I have a lot of blood clots and gross looking things in my "spotting." This is day 14 of cramping and bleeding. I am starting to get fed up and I'm not really sure if it's because of the pill or something else?

Help?

I started taking seasonale just over a month ago and this month, I got my period and so far it's lasted 8 days (today being the 8th) when it normally lasts 5-6. it was pretty light compared to my normal period but then when it should have been ending, it got just a bit heavier so that I had to wear a pad instead of just a protector. After reading the comments posted, I'm not so concerned anymore. I'll wait it out to see what happens. God forbid it last more than this but I've read above that some women had it last up to two weeks or more. UGH. that sucks.

Hopefully, this is the breathrough and it'll soon be no period until the sugar pills. I will say that my period was on time this month, same day as last month where it is usually irregular. I hope this doesn't mean that my body is using the birth control to even them out and make 'em regular.

Thanks for posting your comments. It has helped ease my mind greatly.

I started Seasonale 3 weeks ago. I went on it because I am perimenopausal and had my period 7 times between the middle of June and the first of October. Since starting Seasonale I will have a tinge of blood more often than not when wiping after going to the bathroom. I also will sometimes have the gross things or clots or whatever you want to call it when wiping. Yesterday I started to really spot and had to wear a pantiliner. Now it is like I have my period. I have been bloated, crampy, etc. for over a week. I went on this so as to now have a period all of the time and to regulate my cycle. This is extremely annoying. I am continuing the pills and I see the doctor in 4 days.

Im on my 5th week of seasonale and ive been bleeding basically brown like when people finish and it hasnt stopped. The bleeding began on the 2nd week and im worried that it isnt going to subside. the other day it started to be almost nothing then it started right back up again.

I am on my 3rd week of seasonale, and have had spotting the entire time with cramps, now having an actual period... Granted I have dismenoria which is painful menstral flow, but I am thinking that my one period a month is way better than this extra long period and cramps non stop!!!! does it ever stop???????

I started Seasonale in March and had to stop in June because I had a period for 4 weeks! My periods have always been heavy and the idea of skipping them was great! But my iron got really low when I had it for 4 weeks and I wasn't even to the white pills! Maybe I should try Yaz? I have migraines and it was hoped that the birth control would stop them. But it didn't! Has Yaz worked for anyone?

I just started Seasonale a month ago! I've been lightly bleeding the whole time, and also major pain in my ovaries like everyday :( It's around the time my period starts (without the pill) and now I'm bleeding like I'm on my period with the same amount of cramps :( it's only my first month on the pill and I never missed a pill, and took them at the same time daily.. I hope this goes away, I'm taking the pill because I have extremely bad periods that affect my life :( I hope It doesn't last long!