Did anyone here take malaria tablets? I have just booked my holiday to Mexico and I am very excited about it! It is the first time I will be leaving Europe and I am also a bit anxious. Apparently, you are at real risk of getting malaria, unless you take the tablets. But I also remember hearing that malaria tablets have bad side effects. If you did take malaria tablets, can you tell me what it was like for you? Is taking malaria tablets really that bad?

The type of malaria tablets you can take actually depends on the country you are staying in. Thankfully, Mexico has a strain of malaria that is easier to treat compared to some other locations, but of course your malaria tablets can still have side effects. What is also important to note is that no malaria tablets completely protect your from the disease. You can increase your own protection by making sure you take your malaria tablets absolutely regularly, according to the prescription. You generally have to start malaria tablets before you travel.

I had a bit of a skin rash from Nivaquine and I also felt a bit nauseous for a few days, which the doctor said to expect, so I started taking Nivaquine before travelling and the nausea had passed by the time I took Nivaquine, so everything worked out in the end. And of course I am glad I did nit get malaria too!