I love tonic water and bitter lemon, and I think part of the kick is that it has quinine in it. But I have heard that you are not supposed to take tonic water when you are pregnant or breastfeeding, because of the quinine. So, now my question is, just what are the side effects of quinine in tonic water?

Quinine, bitter white powder, besides from its usage in tonic waters, is mainly used to treat malaria and that’s when some pregnant women experienced serious side-effects of quinine. It’s also used to treat nocturnal leg cramps and arthritis. Tonic water contains less than 20 milligrams of quinine per six fluid ounces, and there is only some remote chance of allergic reaction to tonic water, but I guess that you don’t come into that group. The recommended quinine dosage for treatment of malaria is two or three 200-350 milligram tablets three times a day. Because of some thirty times smaller doses in tonic water, quinine is considered harmless and has not been recalled by the FDA, unlike its use for treatment of malaria.