I have been prescribed progesterone, and am hoping for some input about the side effects. Though my doctor told me that I have nothing to worry about, I am still a bit unsure. If someone could take the time to tell me if progesterone has any side effects, I would appreciate that a lot!

When you first start taking progesterone, some of the more common side effects are cramping around the uterus, headache, joint pain, increase in the frequency of urination, breast growth (not necessarily negative :-)) and mood swings. Water retention, that often happens to people taking progesterone, also has its own negative side effects, including possible seizures. But that is very rare.

Let me tell you my experience. During my pregnancies, I feel really wonderful and am on a constant hormonal high. Euphoria would come pretty close to what I am actually feeling. I do great on progesterone, which obviously occurs in high levels during pregnancy. When I give birth, and my progesterone levels drop suddenly, I get post partum depression. I don't know if the chemical, non-natural variety of progesterone is any different, but I do know there are no negative side effects at all for me!