Hi, I am in my first trimester of pregnancy. I went to the doctor's office to take some tests. All the results were fine except one. The doctor was not satisfied with my progesterone levels. They were low. He scheduled another test to re-check my progesterone levels. I have no idea why progesterone is so important. Could you tell me?

Hi, progesterone is produced by the ovaries and the placenta during pregnancy. This hormone is very important during the pregnancy. Progesterone eliminates contractions of the womb. That is very important because if the progesterone levels are too low, a woman could have a miscarriage. In the first trimester of pregnancy the lowest acceptable progesterone levels are 10ng/ml. I am sure that everything will be just fine with your pregnancy if you follow your doctors' orders.