My father has rheumatoid arthritis for a long time. First changes that occurred were stiffness in fingers and then that went to knees. For a long time he took non steroidal anti inflammatory drugs that helped him. He has been advised to take enbrel now, and since my father has heard some speculations about that drug, we are not sure if it is a right thing to do, start that new therapy, I mean.

Enbrel is used for dealing with rheumatoid arthritis, but its mechanism is not the same as those of NSAID group. This medication blocks the production of mediators of inflammation (tumor necrosis factor). It has less bad side effects, and the equally good positive effects as the non steroidal drugs. The only down side is that it can affect the immune system, so there is a possibility of respiratory infection.