As I am diagnosed with ulcerative colitis I came down, because now I know what my problem is. Maybe I sound terrible, but when I found out what kind of disease I have I feel better. Now I can treat it and try to back into the normal life. My doctor prescribed me Sulphasalazine so I would like to know more about it; especially what side effects should I expect?

Sulfasalazine tablet are used in the treatment of mild to moderate ulcerative colitis. Also it is adjunctive therapy in severe ulcerative colitis, and for the prolongation of the remission period between acute attacks of ulcerative colitis. Beside this usage, Sulfasalazine is also successful in treatment of rheumatoid arthritis who has responded inadequately to salicylates or other non steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs. There are some patients who cannot take uncoated sulfasalazine tablets because of gastrointestinal intolerance. Doctors usually prescribe in these cases one form of the same drug, called Azulfidine en tablets. You shouldn’t take this drug if there is renal damage or blood dyscrasia. The most common side effects are anorexia, headache, nausea, vomiting, gastric distress and apparently reversible oligospermia at men. Less frequent side effects are pruritus, urticaria, rash, fever, and hemolytic anemia. Similar adverse reactions are associated when sulfasalazine is used in rheumatoid arthritis, although there was a greater incidence of some reactions.