Hi, I suffer from rheumatoid arthritis. You can not imagine what I am going through when the illness becomes active. I can not get out of bed because of the pain. I think that my wrists will snap if I try to move them. The drugs I am using are helping up to a point, but I am not satisfied with the results. Recently I have heard that there are autoimmune drugs that can cure autoimmune conditions for good. Could this be true? Do you know how I could get autoimmune drugs and why my doctor has not told me about them?

Hi, I know exactly what you are going through because I suffer from rheumatoid arthritis as well. I am very familiar with the symptoms you have described. My doctor has prescribed me ibuprofen for the pain and sulfasalazine to control the progression of the condition. I am also familiar with the drugs that are able to suppress the autoimmune reactions and therefore relieve us from the pain of rheumatoid arthritis for good. However, there are a few facts that stop the doctors from prescribing these drugs more often. One of the most important side effects is the fact that these drugs can suppress not only the autoimmune reactions, but the reactions of our immune system all together. This means that our body would not be able to fight against the real threats like bacteria or viral infections because of the immune suppression drugs. Another thing is that drugs against autoimmune illnesses are very expensive and the most of the health insurance policies do not cover these expenses. Thirdly, most of these medicines have to be administered by infusion or injection, so you would have to see your doctor approximately once a week. Don't get me wrong, these medications are used, but only in the most severe cases of autoimmune diseases when a person's life is in danger. In our cases pain relievers and the disease modifying drugs, such as sulfalazine, are the best choice.