Hello! My mother suffers from Psoriatic arthritis. Actually, her problems started with psoriasis at first and then with inflammation of her joints some time after. When she visited her doctor he diagnosed a Psoriatic arthritis. What a combination of two diseases... Anyway, he prescribed Azulfidine. I heard that this medicine is usually used for treatment of ulcerative colitis and I don’t know will it work for Psoriatic arthritis either?

Hi! Well, your mother is one of 10% of patients who have psoriasis and develop inflammatory arthritis later. You are right, it isn’t a nice combination. And, you are right again, Azulfidine is used for treatment of ulcerative colitis, but it is also used for treatment of Chron’s disease, rheumatoid arthritis or ankylosing spondylitis. Azulfidine (generic name is Sulfasalazine) is sulfa-related medicine which is traditionally used for all above mentioned diseases, but it is proved to be very helpful in some patients with persistent psoriatic arthritis. I think your doctor had the reason why he prescribed Azulfidine to your mother.