I have problem with rheumatoid arthritis for years already. I went to my doctor who realized I need medicines; I guess my condition worsened during last months. Anyway, he prescribed me Methotrexate, which terrified me. I have a friend with cancer who uses this drug, so I want to know if there is the same with me and my doctor does not want to say it. After this, can you tell me which side effects should I expect?

That is true Methotrexate is strong drug, commonly used to treat certain neoplastic diseases. However, its usage is not activated just for this kind, but also for some other problems. Those are for example severe psoriasis and adult rheumatoid arthritis. This medicine works the way it interferes with DNA synthesis, rapair and cellular replication. That is why the most affected cell groups are malignant cells, bone marrow, fetal cells, buccal and intestinal mucosa, and cells of urinary bladder. It works well because in malignant tissues it impairs malignant growth, without irreversible damage to normal tissues. Usually, incidence and severity of acute side effects are related to dose and frequency of usage. The most serious reaction is system toxicity, which could be dangerous for general health. Most commonly reported side effects include ulcerative stomatiits, nausea, dizziness, and chills with fever.