Hi, a couple days ago while playing football with my mates I dislocated my shoulder, I went to the doctor right away and they put it back into the right place. Something must have gone wrong because few hours after I got back from the ER where I was treated, and after the pain meds they gave me wore off I felt pain in my shoulder. I thought it would go away but the next day it was the same. A big inflammation process had developed. I went to my general practice doctor, and he said that cortizone injections should do the trick. What are those cortizone injections and how will they help my shoulder?

Cortizone is a hormone normally produced in our body by the adrenal gland situated above the kidneys. It plays many important roles in our metabolism, and it is called a stress hormone because it is produced and released into the bloodstream while the body is under physical or emotional stress. Cortizone injections are special injections which contain cortizone mixed with some tranquilizer. They are used to treat localized inflammation processes, by giving cortizone into the inflamed area the inflammation is reduced, as a result of that the pain itself is reduced. The procedure of injecting cortizone may hurt a bit but after that initial pain you will feel much better. There is no limit as to how many cortizone injections you can take but physicians avoid giving more than three at a time because it can soften the tendons and ligaments causing the damage to the joints. I think that cortizone injections will help you deal with the pain, you should follow your doctors advice.