Will cortizone injections affect kidney function? My 90 year old father only has one kidney and I am concerned if the cotizone injections could affect his kidney function. He would like to have the injection for hip and knee pain.

If anything, cortisone should help with kidney function. The kidneys normally produce cortisol, so if your father is planning on getting injections for it, I think that he should be fine. Has he spoken to his doctor about it just to be sure that there's no interactions or anything like that? I wish you the best and hope that the injections help with his pain.

From Wikipedia: Cortisol is produced in the human body by the adrenal gland in the zona fasciculata,[1] the second of three layers comprising the adrenal cortex. The cortex forms the outer "bark" of each adrenal gland, situated atop the kidneys. The release of cortisol is controlled by the hypothalamus, a part of the brain. The secretion of corticotropin-releasing hormone (CRH) by the hypothalamus triggers cells in the neighboring anterior pituitary to secrete another hormone, the adrenocorticotropic hormone (ACTH), into the vascular system, through which blood carries it to the adrenal cortex. ACTH stimulates the synthesis of cortisol, glucocorticoids, mineralocorticoids and didehydroepiandrosterone(DHEA).

Are you a doctor?

Please don't let him do it. I am a 53 y/o male and the injection shut my kidneys down. I almost died !!!

Yes. Retired and seeking information for others.