I can't find out how or why cortisone injections are used in a bone to bone knee joint. I want to know how it works and what it is doing?

Cortisone injections contain synthetically produced cortisone, which is a steroid that is also naturally produced in the body. The difference between the natural cortisone and the synthetic is that natural is released into the blood stream and is short acting while synthetic is being injected into the place where inflammation occurred and works for days.

Cortisone works by reducing inflammation and in that way it reduces the pain within a joint. The swelling goes down too.

Although cortisone injections are being injected a few times, however some studies done on rabbits show that repeated injections could actually damage the cartilage and weaken the tissue, therefore prolonging healing.