My grandfather was diagnosed with bulging disk and doctor proscribed him cortisone injections. I would like if someone could tell me more about these injections and also about bulging disk. I am really worried about her.

I understand that you are worried about your grandmother. Sometimes, not knowing anything about some condition makes us even more worried. In order to help you, I will give you information that will be useful. And also, you have nothing to be worried about as long as your grandmother is under doctor’s care. A bulging disk occurs naturally from age-related wear and tear of the spine and unfortunately, it is always painless. A bulging disk can be discovered incidentally and it is usually seen on computerized tomography (CT) scan or magnetic resonance imaging (MRI). What is interesting is that a bulging disk is discovered when CT and MRI are done for some other reason. Cortisone is useful in suppressing inflammation in the short term, and dissolving scar tissue. It also stabilizes the body's defenses, speeding the healing process in the long term. It is very effective in causing certain cysts to disappear. I have to mention that some cortisone injections can be painful. I am sure that you grandmother will be ok.

I WAS IN A CAR ACCIDENT WHILE I WAS WORKING. A TRUCK HIT ME IN MY POLICE SCOOTER. I FELT A SHARP PAIN IN MY BACK AND I WENT TO THE HOSPITAL AND THEY TOLD ME THAT I HAD 2 HERNIATED DISC AND 2 BULGING AND IT IS 8 MONTHS LATER AND STILL FEEL ALOT OF PAIN. I RECEIVED CORTIZONE SHOTS AND THEY DID NOTHING. I AM 45 AND HEALTHY AND EXERCIZED EVERYDAY AND NOW I CANT DO ANY OF THIS. I NEVER IN MY LIFE HAD ANY BACK PROBLEMS BEFORE THIS ACCIDENT.

Below is an answer to a question and I think most of the information is wrong and some of the information down right dangerous.
This was an answer to a question and I don't think that it was accurate. "A bulging disks occurs naturally from age-related wear and tear of the spine and unfortunately, IT IS ALWAYS PAINLESS." Doesn't quite make sense.
Also cortisone to my knowledge doesn't disolve scar tissue or cause cysts to disappear. And the comment of Say Grandma will be all right under the doctor's care. Each patient should have a family member to over see the doctors care. Because often the doctor doesn't know best. Please be careful how you answer these questions.

I saw your post and just wanted to say I understand some of your pain and frustration. Although I did not have an accident my pain also seem to come out of know where. Never having had back pain before I was not prepared for the impact that pain can have on one's life. I hope by the time you receive this post you are up and moving again. I was curious if all those injuries happen in the accident or did you have previous injuries. I think all of us with back problems go very slowly when making any decisions about surgery. Sometimes it causes even more problems the of course sometimes there is no other option. I wish you well.

I think most of this information in this post is wrong and some of it down right dangerous.

first you said your grandfather then you said you was worred about HER?? the injectrion hurt but help with the painb I have FIVE bulging disk

My bf is suffering with a bulging disk (between C6 & 7) and is in agony - is pressing on nerve trunk for left side. He's had cortisone injections, but is stopgap as it's considered zero chance of healing, will need surgery. Long term use of Cortisone can lead to weakening of tendons and muscle tissue - if the bf wasn't in agony, wouldn't be doing this. The poster who said 'no pain' - yeah, right, come live in my bf's skin for five minutes, you don't know what you're talking about.

To the original poster - I hope your grandmother or grandfather, whichever, responds well - the injections can be magical and help dramatically. Sometimes the disk will stop bulging, but if it won't, the risk is that it will burst - that is like having battery acid injected into you, and you don't want that. They can nowadays replace the fluid inside the disk with a special gel that stays soft and enables movement - they don't need to 'fuse' the spine any more. That's the good news - and a couple of cortisone injections won't hurt anyone, quite the opposite - but you need to find out whether they're going to suggest an operation, or if they want to keep your grandparent on the drug 'forever. A grandparent of 50 might want a different option, one of 80 might be happy with that. Good luck.

i am suffering from a buldging disk in my back. I was also told to gat injections. The doctors have been giving me the run around since October '06, the pain started in August '06. In January '07 they wanted me to see a Neurologist. I just saw the Neurologist March '07 and he told me I have some nerve damage to the spine. The other doctors will not touch me with the injections until he says everything is ok. My pain is also in my hip, leg and knee. I am an example that this pain truely exist. All pain medicines they have prescribed have not work. Some days I don't sleep, others days I get 3 hours. I've been toldthe injections will not help and you will be in a lot of pain due to the injection. Well the EMG and Ncv have caused me to be in more pain. I am doubting I will get the injections. I have walked with a limp and unable to bend my knee and the doctors feel I am faking. You can't fake pain .....

I currently have a herniated c6 and bulging c7. The herniated disc caused a pinched nerve with loss of use in my left arm. My options were let time heal it, cortisone shots or surgery. They later recommended surgery (which I refused) and am now 4 months from the injury and doing better (no shots either). In reference to the question, I was warned that if I chose cortisone shots and then later needed surgery, the cortisone would have weakened the protective covering on the nerve. For me it was not recommended upon getting a second opinion simply because they said it would make the neurosurgeons job more difficult because the nerve would be "mushy" vs. "firm" (great medical terms!) Not trying to give any type of advice here as I am sure all cases are different but just some info to help with questions for your Dr.

Hello, are you doing good without anything? I'm thinking of putting off surgery to see if the mild weakness and pain at night in my right arm goes away.

I have two bulding disk. One moderate and one severe. The disk that is severe is the one that's causing all of the pain because it's pressing up against a nerve. My doctor recommended that I get the series of 3 Coritzone shots, which should help the bulge to go down. I've gotten the first shot already and it was very very painful. So painful that I'm looking for some other method besides getting the other two shots. I don't think I can stand the other two. I'm only 25, so it's not only from aging.

I have had back problems for the last 8/9years,after i had my son in 2002 it seemed toget worse. in 2003 I was really bad with sciattica down my left leg and couldnt walk-it was not fun with a 14 month old a home on my own in a wheelchair so I had surgery on my back at L4 L5 - they removed part of a disc and a floating fragment.I still suffer from alot of pain and take morphine everyday aswell as antidepressants, vallium, panadeine forte, temaze. Im always looking for a new remedy to try, remedial massage helps but is costly. My doctor wants me to go to a pain managment doctor and have cortisone injections($200per visit), but after hearing of others complaints of pain and side affects im very hesitant.They say it is done under a cat scan machine and it is safe but i dont know im only 32 and dont want my quaity of life to get any worse as i have a 5 year old son and it is very challenging at the best of times.please help!!! :cry: :( :?Very deppressed and frustrated i cant do anything I want to I have to set limits

I have had 3 surgeries, 1 for a herniated disc, 2 for buldging disc and spurs. All of them in the C6-7-8 area. (1994-2002-2005 surgeries) Just had another MRI and have a couple more buldging disc. After having 3 surgeries already, I have opted to try the cortizone shots. So any input will be greatly appreciated, as I haven't had my 1st one yet. I do know I'm tired of living on pain killers and to be quite honest, they don't help. After awhile I think you get so immune to them that they are useless.
Thanks for input! :-)

I am a female who was recently told I have bulging disc in two areas of my mid-spine. After 8 sessions of P.T. my back pain was worse than when I began. I also have lumbar sciatica due to limping after I had surgery in my right tibia and a rod was placed for a non-union stress fracture. The pain in my back is unbearable and it shoots all around my ribs on right side. an MRI was positive for the condition but this pain is wearing me down. My Dr. suggest a chiropractic treatment. :cry: