I recently went to the hospital where I was diagnosed with Addison's. The doctor there told me to stop taking the Trazadone (I take it for Fibromyalgia) because I was already taking Effexor and my stomach was being destroyed. I stopped 3 days ago and am having trouble sleeping and the pain in my legs and hips is really bad. Should I increase the amount of Lunesta I am taking to get through this rough patch?

I have only been taking trazodone since august and because i fell pregnant and it was making me too sleepy i came off them cold turkey after consulting my doctor. i was taking 200mg in the morning and the same at night despite it almost leaving me comatose almost immediately after taking them. all i want to know is how long the panic attacks go on for after i stopped taking them which was about 2-3 weeks ago. I'm almost sure now after getting rushed to hospital and speaking to paramedics and nurses that it was withdrawals that was making my nausea so unbearable when i just thought it was because of my pregnancy, and am convinced that is what still is making me feel sick and nauseous and tense now as i am 13+ weeks gone in my pregnancy. does anyone have an answers? I hope to god it doesn't last too much longer because the panic attacks and nausea are unbearable.

I'm having changes to urination after stopping trazodone. I have reduced flow and am going more often including at nite 3-4 times.

Has anybody had changes like that on stopping trazodone.

My DR. prescribed this for me yesterday. He said to help me sleep, but I didn't event tell him I was having trouble sleeping. I didn't take any last night and now I'm so glad I didn't! After reading the warnings and side effects and now these withdrawal symptoms, I've decided I am NOT going to even start taking it. Thanks goodness I came across this page. And thanks to all of you who posted for others to read. Good luck to you all.

So much mis-information here. First off, 25 mg. of trazodone is an extremely low dose, not a high dose as was implied by "Danny". I was taking 75 mg. for insomnia for several months then stopped cold turkey and suffered no withdrawal symptoms at all. Not saying you won't suffer some withdrawal but it should be very slight and short lived. Trazodone at doses under 200 mg. are used to treat insomnia. Over 200 mg. for depression. So if you took trazodone for insomnia in the first place, and then you stop taking trazodone and suffer insomnia, that isn't a withdrawal symptom. It is the original problem that led you to take trazodone in the first place! A concern for me, and why I stopped taking it, is that over months of use you develop a tolerance for the drug and so higher doses will be required to do the same thing the lower dose once did. I was surprised I didn't suffer anything, except some slight insomnia when I quit. But as I said, I don't consider this a withdrawal symptom, only the original problem that is back since I stopped the drug.

I was originally prescribed Trazodone 6 years ago for sleep. I didn't have insomnia until I began taking Prozac, so that's when my Dr. prescribed it. I had been off the Prozac for a couple of months, without any problems, when I decided to stop taking the Trazodone. I was taking 50 mg. My Dr thought it would be fine to just stop the Trazodone. After the first night, I was so anxious I almost couldn't stand it. No sleep, another day, and by then I was feeling anxious, physically ill and like I was having an out-of-body experience. I've never felt anything like it. Quitting the Prozac was a peice of cake, so I was really surprised. After I took 50 mg. of Trazodone I was fine. Before I took Prozac and Trazodone, I was depressed, but I'd never been anxious, nor did I have insomnia. The Trazodone was only because the Prozac made it hard to sleep. I kept taking the Trazodone at 50 mg. for a while, then I cut back to 25 mg. and quit again, but the same thing happened. Now I'm taking 25 mg, and planning on reducing it further until I can quit. I guess everyone is different, but just because one person quit without problem does not mean that this drug does not cause problems for anyone. From what I've read, I'm not the only person to have this reaction too. I am speaking from experience, and I don't recommend this drug to anyone.

I have been taking 50mg trazodone for about 14 weeks now, and 2 days ago decided to stop it cold turkey, first night got a fe whours sleep, not much thouhg, and last night was bad, had only 3 hours if that and was constantly waking up through the night, i feel like i have had no sleep, but other than that a bit spaced out, but as with all drugs there will bea withdrawl so im gonna battle it out

I have been taking trazodone for almost a year. I'm 18 years old and was 17 when I started taking it. I take a 50 mg dosage every night before bed. However, I started having some other problems, so my doctor wants me to stop the trazodone and start on zoloft. The night I took a low dosage of zoloft and stopped the trazodone was AWFUL! I could not sleep at all. I take over the counter melatonin to help me fall asleep..I usually take 2-3 before bed but I took 4 that night and still no sleep at all. It was quite alarming..I think it's awful that I am that dependent on a 50 mg pill to fall asleep. And, my doctor expected me to just stop taking it because I wasn't having a problem sleeping..not so easy! I think I will try to wean myself off of the drug. I never knew how awful the withdrawal symptoms would be. Last night I was exhausted but still couldn't sleep..because I didn't take the trazodone. After an hour and a half I decided I needed to take it because I need sleep. . after about 15 minutes I slept GREAT.

I would not recommend taking this to anyone! o.O

Over the last 12 years, I've increased my dose of Trazodone to 400mg each night for sleep. Several months ago, with doctor approval, I started tapering off all my antidepressant meds very, very gradually starting with Paxil, then Ritalin. I was down to 200mg of Trazodone and stopped abruptly, assuming it was the least potent of the drugs I was taking. What a huge mistake! Besides the SSRI discontinuation syndrome (look it up for more info), I was overcome with physical and emotional anxiety, and thought I was going crazy. In the middle of my second sleepless, anxiety-ridden night, I got up at 4am for a Google search on traz withdrawal and came across these posts.

I'm so grateful to read up on this, especially hearing that some of you have had nasty symptoms coming off of merely 25mg.

I'd like to be completely off all these potent drugs, but it may take many more months to do it without severe symptoms.

Like most people on this string, I have been taking a low dose (50 mg/night) of Trazodone, in addition to another antidepressent (Effexor), for many years and I want to get off of both meds eventually. I tried cutting the Trazodone down to 25 mg/night for two nights now and I wake up at midnight or 1 am and stay up until 5 or 6. During the day, same symptoms as everyone else, it's like my body is walking around and I am peering out this tiny window in my head and watching the world move by. Everything from my neck down is wide awake and jittery, but my eyes just want to close and if I had a pillow, I'd lay my head down on it right now.

I'm going to follow the advice of some: take the full dose again, wait a few days, and try again, this time reducing the dose more gradually. The only advice I can offer is: I originally tried taking 25 mg about an hour before bed and then the other 25 mg right before bed, and I think this increased the absorption of the drug because I was out like a light for 8 or 9 hours and tired in the mornings. So, don't do that in an effort to cut back because it doesn't work.

I have been taking trazodone for 3 years and having been reducing for almost a year, I am currently off work for a week on leave to go through my biggest drop in one go, which is 10mg. I usually do 5mg at once but am so sick and tired of the withdrawal effects on my every day life and who much they impinge on my life,this drop is the only way I feel is right as I long to be off trazodone. I initially was prescribed it for moderate depression and I too couldn't sleep. Trazodone certainly fixed that problem and I started to feel better, however after a little while I started to experience side effects, which I accepted as being par for the course, these being dry mouth, blurry vision, weight loss. However I also found I was becoming extremely forgetful and confused at times, this caused me great problems. At work I started to get warnings off my boss. Therefore I spoke to my doc and therapist about withdrawing from the prescribed dosage 100mg which I have been doing ever since,it's been one of the hardest things I have ever had to go through and painful and difficult. The easiest thing would be to give up and give in and just return to prescription drugs to mask out any sadness, hurt, despair and loneliness and to not have the courage to take my life back. During withdrawal I have cried and cried on my cold bathroom floor alone and desparing, I have been verbally agressive and hostile towards others when I am usually a placid and kind person. Many times I have had to take a long hard look at myself and work out why exactly I want to be off prescription drugs as clearly I must have needed them to begin with, what makes it so different now? I suppose only time will tell but something deep inside my spirit told me that it was better to try than to not and never know

Be extremely careful when taking Trazodone or any other psychotropic medicine. I experienced insomnia as a result of anxiety created by law school, and my doctor recommended that I take 50 mg of Trazodone before bedtime, which I did. It helped lessen my insomnia, but it made my life much worse. The "Trazodone hangover" made me feel tired, sluggish and anti-social during the day, all which made my anxiety worse and actually started to cause depression. I tried to withdraw from Trazodone, but my body was addicted to it, so I experienced severe insomnia (not falling asleep until 6 or 7 a.m., despite having little stress from school, as it was summer) and thus went back on Trazodone, not knowing that my body needed time in order to undergo the slow withdrawal process from Trazodone addiction. I ultimately took Trazodone for about two-and-a-half years.

I did some Internet research, and I found the above posts and learned how bad Trazodone can be. After graduation from law school and taking the bar, I decided to go cold turkey off Trazodone (which possibly was a mistake, since maybe I should have tapered off), and I predictably experienced withdrawal insomnia, although this time I knew that withdrawal from Trazodone (and not anxiety) was causing the insomnia. I have been free from Trazodone for two months now and feel like myself again. I would never go back to taking it.

I would hope that if you have been perscribed Trazodone, you will take it.

Trazodone has helped me immensely for years. I have clinical insomnia, lupus, and fibromyalsia. I take 200mg Traz at night for sleep accompanied by either lunesta or ambien to fall asleep faster. I went weeks with little or no REM sleep and was wanting to be checked into the hospital for sedation when I psych had me try traz. This is a permanent medication for me, so withdrawls are not an issue with me. \

Traz is not considered highly addictive though. Lunesta and Ambien will have more withdrawl symptoms than traz. I agree with the other poster...one starts traz for sleep disorder, makes sense that upon stopping, one can't sleep. Other symptoms which can be seen as withdrawl symptoms might indicate that traz is still needed or there is more going on with you than you might know.

I let an Rx expire of 150mg of traz I had been taking for 4 years...just didn't get to the dr. in time. I was off it for 1 week and did experience insomnia (that's what it was treating) and no other withdrawl sypmtoms. As far as anti-anxiety or antidepressants go, it has the least withdrawl symptoms.

I would discourage recommending people not take traz. If it is dr recommended, they should try it. It saved my life - litterally. It also helped me lose weight and keep it off, a perk of traz unlike other meds.

definitely see your dr if you feel you are having these severe symptoms that you think are withdrawl, they could be another problem all togther. As far as the bladder problems....see a urologist, that should not be related to stopping traz, but can be a symptom of bladder issues that can be minor to serious.

I have several friends that have started traz and it has been a life saver for their clinical insomnia as well. if it has been perscribed to you, try it....read about it....talk to your doctor in depth.

Lots of success stories with traz.

I started taking Trazodone 6 months ago to help me with CPAP therapy as I wasn't sleeping deep enough to sleep through. I was put on 50mg and seemed to do the trick in most cases however I was still waking around 5am. I had the usual symtoms of hangover and also a mild depression a couple of hours before taking the tablet which sorted itself once I took the tablet. My doctor increased the dosage to 100mg to try and make me sleep through but I became quite ill with it with terrible dizzy spells and incredible daytime tiredness. After falling over a couple of times embarrassingly, I was reverted back to 50mg as it didn't suit me.

Anyway 6 months on, sleep pattern and higiene is now well sorted I wanted to get off the drug as feel basically fine however hangover and lack of zest and labido became a bigger problem. The medical profession say for such a low dose there should not be any side effects, however, you come off any drug that changes brain behaviour there is some side effects. I found after 2 nights incredible rebound insomnia and basically didn't sleep so ended up going back on again. I then chatted to my psychologist and she said taper the dose for a few days and then come off it. The Trazadone has a short half life should clear your system in 2 to 3 days. However the problem is breaking the psychological association that you cannot sleep without the drug. Subconciously you think you can't sleep without it. So she advised me to rough it out until I finally sleep which will then break the association and can move on. Anyway, it seemed to work as I have been off it for 3 nights and slept reasonably well and no hangover. I think understanding why I felt like I did certainly helped to break the association. I think also a few things in my life have straightened themselves out making me more relaxed which certainly has helped. So my advice is make sure the reasons you took the drug have changed for the better before trying to come off it and also recognise the subconcious association which develops by taking it so you know why and can tell yourself you don't need it to sleep.

Taking Trazodone is an off label application for sleep, so for depression etc I would suggest my experience isn't so relevant, however, I think the subconcious association may well be true, when you are tapering off to a low dose, and feel you cannot make the final break, its your subconcious kicking in so realise that and give it a go.

Hopefully my experience may of been helpful or if not given food for thought,

Lindsay

Could someone please help me. I am in despair. I have been withdrawing from a dose of 12.5 mg of trazadone and .5 mg of clonazepam for about three weeks now. I have crying spells, suicidal thoughts, self-destructive behaviours, dizziness, body pain, balance problems. I am very sensitive to medications in geneal, reason for the low dosages of these drugs. I feel like taking myself off to the hospital, but what can they do. My doctor says give another couple of weeks. My psychiatrist suggested I take 6 mg a day. I have done this for two days now and still feel wretched. I went off these medications because of the side effects, heart palpitations, pounding heart (which I am still experiencing). Can anyone help me or give me hope that this too shall pass.