My husband has to take warfarin tablets to prevent forming of blood clots. He is at that risk because had leg injury and had to stay immobile in bed for couple of weeks. I know that warfarin has number of interactions with other medications but I’m not very familiar with the details. Please give this information about warfarin interactions and other precautions for its use. Thanks.

Yes, many drugs, both otc and prescription drugs interact with this oral anticoagulant. I know that in this group belong aspirin, Tylenol, ibuprofen, certain vitamins, alcohol, antibiotics and cimetidine that is used in gastric ulcers. This is not the end of the list and you absolutely have to consult his doctor before take any medication. Effects of interaction of warfarin with other medications can be fatal. Warfarin and other oral anticoagulants can cause bleeding of skin and any other organ as the adverse effect, because its mechanism of action is based on prevention of forming blood clots.