Hi, I'm 51 years old and I have a long history of heart disease, I had one heart attack 18 months ago and I have had problems with high levels of cholesterol. I have heard that products based on alfafa herb can help reduce cholesterol levels, I'm using warfarin as anticoagulant to prevent the forming of blood clots. What products can you recommend, are there any side effects related to using alflfa are there any interactions with other medications that can be dangerous for a person with my disease?

You have been informed well, alfalfa or as it is known Lucerne, or in latin: Medicago Sativa does decrease cholesterol levels by as many as 25 %, it also has many other useful features; it improves kidney and liver function, contains high concentrations of vitamins A, B1, B6, C, E, and especially high levels of vitamin K, it is known to increase appetite and it is a natural laxative, it can be used to treat prostate conditions and urinary system problems. I could say that this would be a perfect natural remedy for decreasing cholesterol, and it also has many other good qualities, it is considered to be very nutricious. However, you should still take it with causion because some of its ingredients can interfere with anticoagulant medication you’re taking, and high concentrations of vitamin K can be a stimulus for coagulation and as such interfere with anticoagulant drugs such as warfarin. For further possible interactions and possibilities of avoiding them you should talk you your physician.