My father needs to take aspirin every day. His doctor prescribed to him aspirin to prevent a stroke. I didn’t know that aspirin is effective for those kinds of problems. My friend thinks that ibuprofen is better for that. Now I’m not sure do ibuprofen and aspirin have anticoagulant properties?

Yes. Especially aspirin. It has a blood thinning (or anticoagulant) effect and it’s used in long-term low-doses to prevent heart attacks and strokes. Ibuprofen also can make you bleed easily but it’s less effective then aspirin. Like all non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs, ibuprofen has some blood thinning properties but not anything like aspirin.

can aspirin cause a false reading on a d-dimer test which is for the checking of blood clots

Aspirin is a blood thinner...ANd for D-Dimmer? That has to do with whether you have a positive sign for blood clots.

Ibuprofen??? HUGE difference...It is contradictory in it's function.... here is how:

NSAIDs as in Ibuprofen, Naproxen, etc can cause up to 4 times bleeding...BUT it also works as a platelet aggregate.. Meaning It makes the platelets (things that stop bleeding and create clotting) collect (aggregate). They start to collect elsewhere and because of this the platelets are not around certain ares to 'stop' bleeding, BUT can actually cause Blood CLots! No kidding.

It is a conundrum but it is exactly what it does.

So, Ibuprofen collects your blood clotting agents (platelets) away to an area, causing the other areas to have less, therefore you bleed more (up to 4x's more) but can cause blood clots.... Weird but true.

So... Aspirin for anti-coagulant thearpy? good...Ibuprofen? Not so.

The pharmacology on the other NSAIDS, excluding aspirin, are all the same. They are platelet aggregates.

Can be dangerous. Especially when one needs anti-coagulant therapy.

Dear fellowz i think ibrofen z not as effective as aspirin in antithrombolytic activity b/c aspirin iz the only NSAID which bindz irreversibily wd d cyclooxygenase nzzym nd as u knw aspirin for itz antithrombolytic activities must bind wd the platelats cell membrane nd as platelat z not cell bt fragment without cell machinary,so it can't synthesiz new proteins (cycloxygenase enzym),so now irreversibly binded cycloxygenase(only characteristic ov aspirin) +absence ov new cyclooxygenase results in complete absence r failurance to synthesis thrombaxane A2..

Sawyl......DO NOT POST MEDICAL INFORMATION IF YOU DO NOT FULLY UNDERSTAND THE BASICS.

I am a medical technologist and what you said was overexaggerated and ignorant. NSAID's are basically the same, but to different extents. Simply because medications like ibuprofen reduce DVT's, embolisms or clotting times does not mean that the platelets need to go elsewhere and clot somewhere else...so therefore, it is not any more likely that taking ibuprofen will increase your chance of a stroke.

D-dimers don't test for blood clots. Blood is drawn into a sodium citrate tube for chemistry tests. They test for fibrin degradation products (FDP) which is a protein only activated when intravascular coagulation is occurring or because of thrombi. It is then centrifuged and if the d-dimer test is positive (due to the positive presence of the d-dimer protein activated by its corresponding antibody). If the antibody breaks up the d-dimer protein, the test will report number results, within either positive or negative ranges.

Aspirin regimens are a less effective form of anticoagulant therapy than coumadin, plavix warfarin, or heparin. Aspirin blocks the production of thromboxane which allows platelets to coagulate. IBUPROFEN IS NOT, I REPEAT, NOT MORE LIKELY TO INCREASE BLEEDING RATES BY FOUR TIMES LIKE YOU SAID. It is only less potent, so get your facts straight. NSAID's are used more for pain and with mild anticoagulation properties, aspirin is more for anticoagulation with mild pain reliever properties.

Please, I am begging you, do not post anything that you are not fully knowledgable about.

Thank you  Jakepod34 I appreciate knowing what a medical professional knows rather than listen to hear say.

.

Jake!!! 
Do not pretend to be a medical professional and post bogus information on the internet that can GIVE SOMEONE A STROKE!!!

Quote:
Important information about ibuprofen

Ibuprofen may cause life-threatening heart or circulation problems such as heart attack or stroke, especially if you use it long term. Do not use ibuprofen just before or after heart bypass surgery (coronary artery bypass graft, or CABG).

Get emergency medical help if you have chest pain, weakness, shortness of breath, slurred speech, or problems with vision or balance.

Aspirin and Ibuprofen are completely different.  Aspirin (under a doctors supervision) can prevent a heart attack or stroke.  IBUPROFEN CAUSES HEART ATTACKS AND STROKES.

Please people, it can be very dangerous to "consult" the internet for medical advice.  Especially when there are people out there like Jake who pretend to be a medical professional over the internet.  As you can see here, the information given by someone like him can be extremely dangerous and get you or someone you love killed.

It would be more helpful if you sourced this quote. Jakepod34 sounded knowledgeable; if your information contradicts, please reference your quote, which could have come from anywhere.

This person needs to write in English if they want to post on an English speaking board. Posting on these boards from their I-phone5 does not do the trick. and leaves some of us wondering what they are talking about especially when they are using medical and biologic terminology.

I think Jake did a pretty good job explaining the difference between the two. Also, keep in mind that there has been a lot of studies on aspirin and that over long term usage of aspirin that taking the low dose of 81mg is just as effective as taking aspirin at 325mg. Me myself i take the 325mg as a choice, because I've has several heart attacks. Over all if you are looking for an over the counter blood thinner aspirin is the way to go. Leave the Ibuphen to the heart healthy younger people for pain only. coming from a 25 year paramedic / firefighter. PAP681 is my nick

So dangerous indeed. I am an RN and I understand this stuff, but people are individuals and are prescribed different anticoagulants for different reasons and to suggest that one drug is safe or safer for THAT person is really irresponsible. Call you MD, talk to the nurse there or to him or her MD. You are a unique individual not an internet consumer. The implications of behaving as if information like this is for general audiences can be lethal.

All of the comments below are either incorrect, partially correct, but all are incomplete in understanding the difference between anti-clotting and anti-coagulation - both part of the causes of stroke. Aspirin and other NSAIDS control platelet clotting thru production of thromboxane produced by platelets -that attracts platelets together.

Anti-coagulation agents like warfarin (Coumadin) and more modern drugs control coagulation through liver production of numerous protein factor messengers.

However, these explanations do not, nor have I found complete delineations for NASAIDs anti-inflammatory ability and its potential effects of coagulation messengers that are also inflammatory in nature.

***this post is edited by moderator *** *** web addresses not allowed*** Please read our Terms of Use

Thank you, for taking the time to correct the errors in the previous quote.