Hi there,

I've started using this medicine called Warfarin two months ago. As you might know already, Warfarin is an anticoagulant used to prevent heart attacks, strokes, and blood clots. I've been using it for exactly one month, I think, and then my doctor changed my prescription, I got Rivaroxaban instead of Warfarin.

I don't know why, I have no particular reason but I would have liked if I stayed on Warfarin, I don't like changing medications. But anyway, my doctor told me that Rivaroxaban is also a very good medicine but he couldn't tell me which of these two is better.

So what do you think, what is a better blood thinner (coagulant) - Warfarin or Rivaroxaban?

Hello Guest,

Well I don't like changing medications either. I found out that there was actually a study which was made in order to find out whether warfarin is better than rivaroxaban. The conclusion was that there is no evidence that people with non-valvular atrial fibrillation (NVAF) who are well controlled on warfarin will benefit clinically from a switch to rivaroxaban.

Even though you don't have atrial fibrillation, I believe that this can mean that rivaroxaban won't be any better for you than warfarin anyway. But since you are going to switch to rivaroxaban anyway, you are going to find this out by yourself.

Hi guys,

I believe that Health n Joy has a good point here, drugs work differently on different people, so whatever info you find on the internet or whatever your doctor tells you, there are some chances that this new medication is going to work differently on you than you have expected.

Rivaroxaban is one of several new oral anticoagulants now available as an alternative to warfarin. It is approved by the Therapeutic Goods Administration although it is not PBS listed for this indication and is currently only available on private prescription for stroke prevention in atrial fibrillation (AF).

When you see for yourself which one worked out better for you, you can let us know.

Hi everyone,

Well, I don't think that you can know for sure anyway before you try it out for yourself, which I'm guessing that you already did. 

As Health n Joy wrote, there was a study done in order to determine which one is better and the conclusion was that Rivaroxaban does not have any better effects on people than Warfarin, but that doesn't mean that it's worse than Warfarin. Other than just Warfarin and Rivaroxaban, there are two more drugs that are used for the same things as these two, four drugs in total for the same thing and these are all relatively new drugs.

Hello everyone.

I definitely vote for warfarin. My sister tried a lot of those medications and when doctor prescribed warfarin to her, because her body was making blood clots and she had some unwanted blood clots in her body, he told her that she should try warfarin. Now I really do believe that this depends on a lot of different things, and the most important thing is how your body is going to react on certain blood thinner.

But from that what I saw from my sister’s condition, I would definitely tell that warfarin is the better option.

Good luck.

Rivaroxaban is good as well. I believe that there is no that much difference between them. But you should know that before you start with the treatment you need to read all information on the labels to be aware of the possible side – effects which you can experience from taking it.

Consult your doctor and take those pills exactly as your doctor tells you to do it. Usually you need to take one dose each day, just to prevent a blood clots.

If you forget to take the dose take it as soon as you remember.

Remember that side – effects are possible but I am sure that they will disappear soon.

Good day there.

Look Guest as you can already see, there are a lot of different opinions when we are talking about blood thinners. Personally I don’t know anyone who is using rivaroxaban and I do know a lot of people who are using warfarin.

Those people who are using warfarin have different opinions and experiences. Some of them are satisfied and they had some minor side –effects, while some of my friends had a lot of side –effects and they needed to change therapy.

I guess that you need to try it before you see is this medication proper for you.