Hello. I have one daughter, she is 13 years old. She had her physical exam on the regular basis with her junior high a few days ago. While they did some tests on her they noticed that something is different than usually. They send her to the cardiologist and after he checked her heart, heart beats etc he told us that she has heart murmur. We are really scared about this because she is very young. Can you tell me how dangerous is heart murmur and what are the treatment options for it? Please, we are desperate. Any information is helpful. 

Hey Anna. I understand that you are worried. You should know that every condition that is on heart is dangerous if you don’t treat it. But the good thing is that heart murmur is usually not that dangerous.  Actually, I love to say that most heart murmurs are innocent and that means that your heart is healthy and that you don’t need any treatment. But there are an exceptions, of course. You should know that heart murmurs can easily be linked to a damaged or overworked heart valve. Some patients are born with this problem and some just get them as part of aging.

It is usually treated with some pills.

I know that a lot of people are dealing with heart murmur since their birth. Usually it was nothing dangerous and usually they didn’t require no treatment. But of course there are some problematic heart murmurs as well. In this case it requires a treatment. Heart murmur is an abnormal sound that it is heard between heartbeats and it is very similar to whooshing or swishing sound. It is very common in infants and children and generally this abnormality disappear when child gets order.

You just need to control it to be sure that everything is ok.

Hi. Look, there are a few medications that doctor can prescribe depending on the specific heart problem that your kid has. Some medications are:

• medications that prevent blood clots. For example, the doctor can prescribe some anticoagulants such as aspirin, warfarin or clopidogrel. Anticoagulant prevents blood from clots from forming in your heart and causing a heart stroke or heart attack.
  • doctor can prescribe a water pills or diuretics to your kid. They remove excess fluid from your body which can help treat some other conditions.
  • beta blockers are used to lower your heart rate and blood pressure. They are used for some types of heart problems.

Surgery is also one of the options if murmur is dangerous.

I totally understand that you are worried because having heart problems it can’t be easy thing to deal with. That is sure. Now, you can be calm because heart murmur is not that dangerous in many cases. Of course that treatment is required because without the treatment things can go very wrong.

My friend’s son also had this problem and he treated it only with medications, even if they suggested a surgery for him.

But in the end of the story, surgery was not necessary and he is still using the same medications.

She will be fine, she has to be ok.