Hello all This is my first time on this Website and have heard some very interesting stories. I am a 27yr old female who has been have neck and shoulder pain for at least 5 years. After many doctors, physical therapies, drugs I finally have found a nuerosurgeon who is giving me some answers. I have dull, throbbing pain in the back of my neck and tingling radiating down my left shoulder and let me not forget the feeling as though someone has a blow torch on the back on my neck and shoulder. The nuerosurgeon did some tests and she says I show signs of weakness on my right side and over active reflexes? I go next week to get the results of my emg and to discuss the surgery in full detail. Are there questions that I should definetly ask my new doctor? %-)
How many days did you stay in the hospital?
How bad was the incision on your neck?
What are some tips for after surgery?
How long should I have someone to be with me afterwords? (I dont want my husband to miss alot of work)

Thanks for your replies in advance.
NicNic %-)

Hi Nic.
I was wondering if you have had your surgery or found another option?
I just wondered up on your post and saw that you posted last month. Im sorry that no one got back to you. If you havent had your surgery yet, I will be glad to tell you what to expect, before and after.
There are alot of great discussions on this site that you may find helpful. Some are scary though, but its better to know what you are going to have to deal with and its good to know that youre not alone in it.
When I had mine,, I felt like no one would understand my pain or the way I felt and for months I thought I was going totally nuts, until I found this site. Then I saw where I wasnt the only one experiencing the problems im having,, So Please feel free to ASk questions about any problems or anything that you have concerns with, I will be glad to help in any way.
Peace and Good luck,
Donna

Thanks. No I haven't had my surgery yet. It is scheduled for December 4th. Any tips would be very helpful. I'm not really nervous about the surgery itself more so the aftermath.

Nic

I had anterior discectomy and fusion on Nov. 21....Only problems have been post-op....difficulty swallowing and a "chocking sensation"...doc says these will go away.......otherwise a piece of cake!

I had three vertebrae replaced back in July of '06 and just want those who are going to have/just had surgery to know that it DOES work! After the surgery - which incredibly was outpatient - I felt wonderful. Given a couple of days for the anesthesia to get out of my system, I experienced excrutiating pain in my shoulders - this is from having my shoulders dislocated to perform the surgery. Once I knew the cause, I hunkered down with pain relievers (Ibuprofin) and my heating pad. It was a very severe pain, but it DID go away within a couple of weeks. I also had pain and difficulty swallowing and used a method of taking the liquid and then holding my head DOWN before I swallowed. This helped until all systems could heal and get back to normal.

I would do it again in a heartbeat!

Hi my name is Joyce and I had surgery on my cervical neck of november 11 2008. I am 4days post surgery. I have lived with stenosis of the spine for more than 10 years now. I have to my entire back worked on. I also have other health concerns that make my prognosis and recovery time a little more concerning. But every surgery runs a risk, I live in PA and my surgeon was wonderful, I am doing ok. I am recovering slowly. Which sometimes that is better to make sure you are taking time to heal. In 2 weeks at my postop appt. I will schedule next surgery. Neck surgery no real pain after. Have more feeling in my arms and hands that I had in years, so your nerves can repair theirselves, just be careful of how you hold and position your head, because it is litteraly screwed on. Wear your neck brace, its a pain in the butt but it helps. Good luck to you and don't worry and if you have worries talk it over with your surgeon.

One thing I will tell you over and over and over again, is immediately following the surgery, the one thing to remember is to breathe through your nose and out your mouth. My husband had quite a few panic attacks because he kept trying to breathe through his mouth. The throat is so swollen from being moved during the surgery, it's almost impossible to breathe through your mouth. Hubby had the surgery on 2/25, and he's still off work (truck driver). He spent three days in the hospital, and had some decent pain meds (they took the marrow from his hip). It's hard to get used to the thought of having your neck screwed on, but the docs take xrays during your visits and once they say you are healed, you can do more than you think, although your movement may be a little hindered.

The only problem my hubby is having is nerve pain...his discs herniated on 2/15, and was in excruciating pain until the surgery on 2/25. almost 9 months later, he's still having pain/razor blades/numbness in his left hand. He just had an EMG, doc said no carpral tunnel, but we won't have the final results until 12/1. Until then, he says it more irritating than painful.

Tips for after surgery - take it easy. Your doc will tell you to do normal activities unless they hurt. If you decide on day 4 to do laundry, just take it slow. I would say having hubby there the first week is a good idea. After the first couple days, if you are doing well, send him back to work. Lots of rest! Lots of liquids! Make sure you have plenty of soft foods (tomato soup, chicken broth, things that will go down easily). If you start to "choke", just breathe in through your nose and out through your mouth. Sneezing will hurt. Just be prepared for it.

Please post any more questions you might have, and i'll try to remember to check back in here. Would I have the surgery done? You bet. But at least I have experience in what to expect after seeing him go through it!

Best of luck!

Had surgery done Nov13th had bad nausea and throwing up do to the fact that according to my doctor the nurses had left me on morphine to long.
It was very scary throwing up knowing I had stitches in my throat. Gave me the meds for nausea didn't work until finally they gave me phenegren and I immediateley quite throwing up after 3-1/2 hrs.It was horrible.I have had anestisia and morphine with previous surgey 1 year ago and never reacted like that.My doctor was very upset with them.Next moening was fine and went home.I don't sleep good because of my throat cannot swallow well and always feel like soemthing stuck there so I continue to swalloa has a reaction. My arms feel better andI think I may be trying to do to much because I feel so good. Hurt mostly at night.Doctor said I only had to wear the brace until Sunday, feels weird without it and scary sleeping, but I did not sleep well because it dug into my collar bones and back of head was real sore. All in all I read up alot on the surgery and I'm being positve after 8 years of suffering I think I will be better.Hope this helps with some questions.I had a highly recommended doctor in the Houston area. Good luck to all! :-D

5 days till my two level Cervical Discetomy. Was wondering if Mike got hurt at work or was it a "aggrevation" of degenerative disc disease? I have been off work since the begining of October. Finally after MDs, DOs and three other doctors and therapists it is knife time.

I will take heed on the breathing part of your note, great information. Woud love to be in touch with others that are going through the same BS. Company fighting hard against WC, short term is bleeding my savings down to almost nothing. Got a big time Chgo attorney that has it 90% ready to go to W.C. Is Mike on STD or WC? Just wondering if he is/was a O/O or company driver.

Subject at yahoo dot com we could keep in touch, especially drivers with this problem. Opened the eyes and ears of alot of people in my life about the pounding and beating we all take out there. I called off work 10 total days in 13 yrs 2 months. Both were 5 days, for gout attacks. Other than that, been a brick house. Even training for the Chicago Marathon this year, morning of the run - couldn't get head off of my pillow. Oh Well!

Take care Mike, hope we can hook up, or stay in touch on this board. Head up!

Tom

The nite before surgery and all through my house.....nothing going on. I will post on the board later next week. I am have two level ACDF tomorrow at 9am. They bumped me up 3 hours, so no 12 hrs from this post I will be in la-la land getting my problem fix (I hope).

I would hope that anything on this board would give a person another idea or experience to make an informed decision. Like buying stocks "Past performance is not indicative to future results, and is no promise of your own personal result."

Good luck to all. See you is a few days.

Tom

Quote:

Past performance is not indicative to future results, and is no promise of your own personal result.

Hi Gloveman! I'm sorry we didn't get back to you prior to your surgery, but I didn't see the reply email until the morning of your surgery. I hope all went well!! Mike actually wanted to reply to your post, so I will make sure he does tomorrow.

When Mike got hurt, his steering wheel had blown, jerking the wheel. There wasn't any immediate pain, but after he laid down in the bunk to try to sleep, he reached for his cell phone, and that's when the pain hit him. He had herniated C5-6 and C6-7...C6-7 was the worst. That's the one that contains the nerves for his left hand/arm...the one we're still having issues with.

Mike is on WC - also have attorney working with us for a possible settlement, at least for the scar, and only time will tell if we'll get a global settlement. It's hard to explain Mike's working conditions....being a truck driver, it may make sense to you....his "employer" considered him a contracted driver, but he ran the boss's truck. THEY withheld the WC, but not the taxes. Illegal as can be in PA, but work is work, ya know?

Hope to see you back on the board real soon!! Your email address didn't come through correct...I can see it's at yahoo...but that's all. If you want to email us, it's my username here at hotmail dot com :-D

And you are very right, you guys take a freaking beating! Especially the guys that aren't O/Os, as you guys have no say so in replacing the seats or anything else, unless it's busted. I can tell you that I don't want Mike driving again, but unless there's a decent global settlement, he'll be back in the driver's seat if he's ever able to go back. If all goes well with your surgery and you don't have as much nerve damage as Mike, I would expect to be out of a truck for 6-7 months.

We just had a follow up appt (monthly) with the physiatrist that he's been seeing - did an EMG in November to rule out carpral tunnel - and this time we had to bring to his attention that when Mike sneezes he gets the same shooting pain, just not quite as bad, down his left arm and hand....almost brings him to tears. The Dr. ordered a CT scan - won't be able to see anything with an MRI now because of the plate - we received a copy of the results, and I'm not happy with what I'm seeing - bone spurs everywhere along with an INCOMPLETE bony fusion....the surgeon told us at 6 months the fusion was complete. He doesn't go back to the doctor until 12/29, but he also has an Independent Medical Exam on the 12th with the doctor that worker's comp hired.

Well, hope you are feeling better! And remember, small bites ;-)
Take care!
Amy

Hello, this is my first time on this website, and reading your messages about similar surgeries helps me with mine. I am scheduled for surgery this Tuesday and i am scared but ready to start feeling better. Now I know that i have to learn how to breath thru my nose, not my mouth i guess because my neck will be swollen. With this type of surgery, will i be able to go back to work after 3 days? Because this is something i plan to do. But now i have to see how i feel after the surgery. Thank you for some of your answers. Lenora

Hi Lenora,

Welcome to this site. we cannot help you with your question without knowing how many disks you are having worked on. As for the breathing through the nose, that did not need to be done by me. I had a 2 level surgery done from the front of the throat and I did not have a breathing problem. I am still out of work and my surgery was on October 30th 2008. Most people are out of work for at least 4 weeks from what I have seen. There are a few who do light work and when they feel good walking they go back to work. My neighbor is one of them, he owns his own real estate business.

I will watch here today to reply as soon as you post. Good luck.

Rob

Hey Everyone -

Just wanted to share my experience. I hurt myself lifting weights in january 2008. At first thought it was a pulled / torn muscle but opain was too severe. Spent a year trying cortisone shots (5 in total), physical therapy, chirpractor, ever anti inflammatory / muscle relaxer in existence as well as every narcotic (percocet, vicodin, oxycontin and fentanyl - Be careful). Am now 2 months post op and the pain is not any better. It felt okay right after surgery but has just gotten worse. Anyone have the same experience. I had herniated discs / bond spurs in c5 / c6. I'm tired of all the meds, doctors visits and just want to be a normal 24 year old again

Thanks so much!!

Your story is one that resembles mine. Except my problems came from an auto crash. C4-6 w/spurs,herniation's,bulges and now C6-7. Had injections for 3 months(3 total shots), rehab, chiropractic care for 2 years then surgery on October 30th and now getting worse. I have many ups and downs and am hoping someday the ups stay for good.

I wanted to let you know you are not alone and if you have any questions that I can answer, I will be glad to.

Good luck,
Rob