Am scheduled to have anterior cervical discectomy with fusion c5-c6 to treat ruptured disc with right radiculopathy. Symptoms are pain, constant burning sensation, intermittant pins/needles (all symptoms are on the right side of neck, right upper back, right arm, right hand and lower right side of face) and some right arm weakness. I am in my 30's and ruptured disc was caused by automobile accident 6 months ago. I have had physical therapy, cervical traction, NSAIDs, pain meds, oral steroids and lastly, 2 cervical epidural steroid injections. Symptoms have improved very little and neurosurgeon says that he thinks it is time for surgery. However, after reading what most people have posted about this surgery I am terrified that I will end up worse than before. Is there anyone out there that is glad they had this procedure?? Also, if I do go through with it, what advice does anyone have postoperatively?

Allow me to address only one small issue in your forum: pain. An elderly relative of mine had idiopathic low back and leg pains. The pain was at times so severe that she was confined to a wheelchair. Like you, she had undergone physical therapy with little success. In fact, physical therapy, which she eventually discontinued, made the pain worse. I bought her a portable TENS unit online for $60 plus shipping. She used it during her entire waking hours whenever she was home. Within 3 days, her pain was greatly reduced. Within 2 weeks, her pain was almost gone. Her doctors were amazed at her recovery. Now (4 months later), her pain had not come back. She still used the TENS unit only very occasionally for minor aches which came and went with the weather. She is now off pain medication, off the wheelchair and can walk unassisted. I think the key to her success was that she used the unit continuously for very long periods of time. Her physical therapist had used a commercial TENS units on her for no longer than 20 minutes at a time and it did not produce any positive results. I don't know if a TENS unit will do anything for you, but this is certainly something that you can try.

Did you ever get this surgery? I am in the exact same situation as you. I am also in my 30's, I have tried all of the same treatments you have, and my neurosurgeon wants to do the same surgery on my C-5/C-6.

Hi I am on day 8 post op. I am feeling fine the worst of the post op pain was day 2/3. Not taking any extra pain relief apart from what I was already on. I have to wear a soft collar forv5 wks 24/7, you only get one so will need to buy another so u can wash one.
If I can help u any further please get in touch.
.

Are you feeling better now? I s/p ACDF c5-c6 4 weeks out, and I am still really achey in my shoulder blades. I am going to return to work in 3 days and I am terrfified, that the pain will get worse. Do you do any exercises? I start PT nwxt week with gentle massages

Hi ..read your post and am a bit familiar and would love to ask you some questions.
I am 1 week post op for ACDF C5C6.
Feeling pretty good but am wondering what the next 6 months will look like.
I am 43 years old, somewhat active, fit...but wondering what I have to do to return to activity...and to work.
I know that i need to be patient.

Any help or advice you can provide for me would be much appreciated.
Thanks in advance
AC