Hello all!
I said to myself that I would not read any blogs on this but I could not help myself as I was researching this procedure.
I am a 33 year old female and I have disc herniation of c5/c6 impinging nerve. My arms get numb and my neck is in constant pain, I have to wear a soft cervical collar most of the time and I go to physical therapy at least 3 times a week, which is not helping at all. I had a major car accident in December 2008. My surgery is not yet scheduled but will be sometime next month (april). I am not scared yet, it usally kicks in the night before and the day of. My main concern is after the surgery. I don't know what to expect as far recovery. How much pain will I be in? How long before I go back to work? How normal will I be? How soon will I be able to do certain things. Also I am a smoker and my doctor said I would have to stop before surgery, for how long?

sorry for these questions

Smoking will have a bad effect on your bones being able to heal. It slowed mine down a lot. I had a bad car wreck in 2006 and had my surgery last October and I just had my x-rays last wed where my doctor told me my bones are still not healed properly.

As far as you, I was told 1 month before going back to work, and 1 month more for light duty. This is the norm I think. Some go back in a week or 2.
Good luck,
Rob

I had this surgery many years ago. When I woke up after surgery I knew immediately the surgery worked because the pain was gone. Best surgery I ever had. I didn't quit smoking then & I healed as quickly as anyone who had the surgery, it's a more individual thing than they want to admit. They took some bone from my hip & I was told that was extremely painful, it didn't bother me at all except the 1st time I stood, it kind of went out from under me, but I just had to stiffen up a bit & it was fine.

We are supposed to have ACDF for multiple discs C4 to C7.

Does anybody hear about Dr, Jay Khanna or Dr, Navin Sethi. They are both supposed to be experts, any experience or recommendation regarding these doctors, or for a top notch surgeon in Md.

Thanks