My friend really has some family problems. As he said, his mother has been diagnosed with schizophrenia, some mild form (I guess thats why she is not in hospital, but lives with them) and has been taking ondansteron in her therapy. Whether tropisetron (some new drug she has to take) might be more efficient in schizophrenia than ondansteron?

I know that ondasteron works by preventing nausea which occurs because of surgery and even cancer chemotherapy. But, that is not that important for your friends mother case. What matters is the moment when ondasteron blocks 5-HT3 receptors, which prevents nausea and helps patients with schizophrenia. As for this other drug, my guess is that it has similar effect, but perhaps the previous drug was not that successful and they gave her that new one.

Ondansetron is an antagonist at serotonin 5-HT3 receptor. However, in addition with a potent antagonist at 5-HT3 receptor, tropisetron is also a potent agonist at alpha-7 nicotinic receptor. Given the role of alpha-7 nicotinic receptor in the pathophysiology of schizophrenia, tropisetron would be better than ondansetron. We believe that tropisetron would be a suitable potential drug for cognitive deficits in patients with neuropsychiatric diseases, including schizophrenia, ADND, depression, and Alzheimer's disease.