My son took accutane around 18 years old. He had to take two and a half courses of it. He had the chapped lips, face peeled,his hair that had been straight, thinned, and is now coarse and wavey. He said his sex life had been great. But a few mths after he finished treatment, He is 19 yrs old now, He is completely impotent! He went to an urologist that said his male horomone was a low normal, and its all in his head???? Has anyone else had trouble with this as a side effcet of accutane??? thanks, a concerned Mom. :-(

Your doctor is wrong, just like most doctors will be on this topic. I had to do my own research and figure it out on my own that accutane can cause permanent libido loss. I was in your son's position at 17, and still am at 22. I would love to get in touch with you and your son, or anyone else who has experienced this to find a solution.

DAMNIT. I wish you were here asking whether or not your son should take accutane? then we could do something about this. Setup an appointment with a doctor who specailises in hormone therapy in your area. If your son is 19 he should be in the high range of testosterone or high off the scales at 19 because that's near the peak of male testosterone not near the low end. Get him testosterone therapy and start dosing him with 150 mg of iodine a day.

I refuse to live my life this way anymore.

I want to go after Roche via class action lawsuit.

I am willing to do what I can to put all this together. I just need everyone to come forward.

**edited by moderator**

I am exactly in the same situation. No interest in sex and complete loss of lubido. It's killing me. What are you planning on doing? Am with you on it whatever it is.

Almost certain Roaccutane can cause impotence and loss of libido. I have been on it for 13 months and 5 months ago, I started not being able to get it up, or just not maintaing it pre intercourse. I know that worrying about it made it worse, (2 doctors told me it was psychological). However I went off it 3 days ago, and now am incredibly turned on and cant stop getting erections. Am happy and relieved considering a week ago my father gave me his cialis (im only 19!). However a few blemishes are creeping in. Hope it is just an effect of coming off Roaccutane.

Ok so i have only been on it a month almost and i have noticed i dont get up like i use to... So should i get off asap or what should i do?... Because i am only 19 and to be honest i was a stud before i started this stuff and now im getting worried i lost it?

holy sh*t i finnaly found others who r like me i started taking sotret/ accutane 3 weeks ago and 2-3 days after i started my penis has been limp since then like wtf i need to get layed and im 16 i went to the doctor and he said it was phsycological but i doubt it what should i do help me this girl wants my penis

I don't know any of you, I have no reason
to BS anyone.
In April of 1996( age 42) I was on a high pressure drug called
Accupril. I called in a refill and asked my wife to pick
it up. When she brought it back and I went to take one
I knew if was something different...the pills were in a card
and not a bottle and the only warning on the card was the
drug should not be taken by pregnent women. Now before
you all think what an ass, in the mid ninetys all the rage was
substituting generic drugs, and I honestly thought the pharmacy
and given me a generic substitute. I took accutane by mistake for 4 weeks instead of accupril. After about 2-3 weeks my forehead felt like low grit sandpaper and my lips started swelling and cracking. I noticed I had a little trouble maintaining an erection.
I stopped taking the drug after the mistake was dicovered when I went to
refill what I thought was the generic high blood pressure substitute,
BUT 6-8 weeks after taking this drug by mistake I went from a fully
functional male to total impotence. Viagra used to help, but now
I don't even know about that.
This drug totally messed me up, dont take it---deal
with the ****in acne and get on with you life.

Hello just needing your help I've been taking accutane for 4 months now and finally one day i notice i was completely impotence. I called my Dr about the problem and was told it has nothing to do with accutane and that i needed to see my family physician Also the Dr said I needed to finish my treatment of accutane for the last month. Man I REALLY NEED YOUR HELP PLEASE!!!! I've seen so many lawsuits online but never heard what is actually going on with this case.

By the way i stopped taking accutane before since the day i notice that i couldnt get it up anymore. Please guys is this permanent??

email me ****

**edited by moderator** **e-mails are not allowed**

Hello I really need your help please!! Am on my 4 month of accutane and finally one day i notice i was impotence. I called my DR and he said that it has nothing to do with Accutane and that i should keep taking them until i finish my 5th month. What should i do ??? I stopped taking accutane because i really felt that was what is causing the impotence problem. So far am on my 1st day off accutane and still have impotence problem . What should i do? will I ever recover???

Please guys i need your help , do I need to get a lawyer ???

email me if you guys found a solution
_[removed]_

I have carried out some research on this and might be able to shed some light on the reasons why Accutane makes some men impotent.

A few pharmacologists think that Accutane damages the seminal vesicles. That would effect the production of testosterone and possibly sperm. Those may be matters for an andrologist. Tongkat Ali, a herb from Indonesia, has been shown in Malaysian studies to increase testosterone levels, presumably by stimulating the Leydig cells.

However, I have also come across [No pun intended.] cases, where Accutane caused damage to the brain stem (and therefore the autonomic nervous system). This is much easier to measure, using electrical and physiological tests.

The brain stem is a bit like a telephone exchange and the autonomic nerves control things, which happen without conscious thought. [Men are conscious of seeing a sexy woman but they don't make erections happen at will. Erections happen automatically, provided that all the systems are working properly. When the mail arrives at a grand mansion, the butler is ready to carry it to his master, straight away, but he won't know it has arrived, unless the mail man rings the door bell.]

The signals from the parts of the brain, which "think sexy thoughts", are passed to the brain stem and relayed, through a series of nerves, to the area around the base of the penis, where there are connections with tiny chemical-releasing glands [Nitrous Oxide is released into an artery, causing it to dilate.], muscles, and the local nerves (which pick up sensations in the penis and cause further stimulation).

If a psychogenic erection [one obtained by being "turned on"] isn't possible, a man can often stimulate the penis, so that the local nerves will play their part. However, in that sort of situation, the quality and durability of erections is often very poor. One short-term remedy is the use of a vacuum pump and ring, which acts like a clamp on the veins at the base of the penis, so that blood won't leak out. This method can only be used for about 20 minutes at a time because of the risk of damage to tissue.

A promising solution to ED of neurological origin is GABA. There appears to be a difference, between the type found in most supplements that isn't capable of crossing the brain-blood barrier and the kind (which is bound to other chemicals) that is. DHEA also has some effect (and has the added advantage of reducing depression). It doesn't change testosterone levels, so it must work on the nerves. Korean red ginseng was found to improve function in a study, undertaken in Hong Kong.

Boosting testosterone levels can help (as does taking L-Carnitine, a related amino acid). Large doses of Vitamin C and Vitamin E, taken together, sometimes have a positive effect.

It has also been suggested that oxytocin, "the bonding hormone", is useful in treating cases, where sexual arousal is difficult.

http://www.bioportfolio.com/LeadDiscovery/PubMed-020302.html

Gene therapy has been discussed at American urological conferences and trials have been quite sucessful.

Generally speaking, treatment is moving away from dealing with the symptoms to finding and elminating the "root" [Tee-hee] causes. The same is true of most specialisms in the more advanced countries. I certainly wouldn't place the UK in that select band of nations, for those of you, who are interested.

this is no bull sh*t. I had super sever acne in my teens, and was given acutane in increasingly heavier doses from 16-18. I am 21 now, and it is already over for me sexually. Doctors said it was psychological, so scientific test right ( gay porn - no, straight porn - no, fetish porn - no, etc. porn -no, several types of encounters, including increasingly hotter women -no), this stuff f**ks you up in the worst way imaginable. There are some people talking class action law suit on here, and I am all for it. Maybe then I will be able to pay for the viagra I got to take to have sex with my girl friend now.

this is not BS. I took a large amount of accutane in between 16-19 years old. Very much impotent now. Tried EVERYTHING (real, aural, visual, etc.), nothing works, except viagra. 21 one year old turned on guys should not require viagra. Everything worked a.o.k before hand and started going away during, but now it is over. someone on here was talking class action lawsuit, and I am very down with that.

Hey everyone,
I'm 24 and in the same boat. i took 2 courses of accutane when i was 16-18 and ever since have had a hell of a time getting erections, especially when i'm first getting with a chick because of the fear of not being able to perform. its so frustrating! i've been too scared to go to the doctor but now finding this makes me feel good to find an explanation but sad to here people are having this problem permanently. what can we/I do? has anybody found answers or solutions? any info would help immensely.