SOME ONE PLEASE SHED SOME LIGHT ON THIS SITUATION BECAUSE MY HEART ISS BROKEN I WANT TO KNOW IF THERE ARE ANY LONG TERM SIDE EFFECTS FOR CHILDREN BORN ADDICTED TO METHADONE. HE IS NOW 4 MONTHS OLD AND HE SPENT 6 WEEKS IN NICU. I JUST REALLY WANT TO KNOW WHAT THE FUTURE HAS IN STORE FOR MY WONDERFUL SON

You have a long road ahead of you. My granddaughter, now 3, was born addicted to methadone and is very hyper, cannot sit still for any length of time and doesn't sleep well. You will need a lot of patience with him. My son and his wife (she was on methadone) have no one to blame but themselves for bringing this baby into the world.
Maybe a good doctor can shed some light on the subject.
They have not been able to find a good doctor to help them out.
Good luck.

DON'T BELIEVE EVERYTHING THAT YOU READ/HEAR...
MY SON NOW 6 YRS OLD IS FINE!!!!!!!
HE WAS IN THE NICU FOR 35 DAYS.

My son was also born addicted to Methadone. I tried to reduce the dosage while I was pregnant, but he was born when I was at 55 mg. per day. I'm not going to lie to you; it has been a tough road with him. He is now 13 years old and he is a normal teenager in most aspects.

However, when he was age 2, he started showing aggression and ADHD behavior. I took him to psychiatrists and they put him on medication, which aggrivated him even worse.

What your son needs is a mother that is patient and loving with him...he is a very special child and you are blessed to have him! He will need a little more attention. What helps is keep him busy - idle time is the worst. Keep activities planned, or at least have something for him to color (if you're doing laundry, or busy and cannot pay attention to him).

Not all methadone children turn out with attention-deficit type behavior, but it is very common. Just do not give up on him! He is worth it!

And don't let anyone put you down because you were on Methadone. You were responsible enough to stop any illegal drug use and get on a maintenance program that is LEGAL. Don't ever have guilt, ok? =D And usually the people who are putting you down, are the people who have never walked in your shoes so they have no idea what you went through anyway!

:cry: my son johnathan is seven months old now,and i was also on th methadone program i was on 55mg. Anyways my son was born and he was fine fo rthe first few days,But once 7 days rolled around holly cow i thought i was in hell, My son did not sleep at all 24 seven aaround the clock i was constantly watching my poor son having these constant clenching of his tiny body tensing up all the time,Having diaerra and pucking anthing up that he eat,the nerse came to see him and she weighed him he had lost 6lbs she told me to rush him to the hospital,than i was in the icu for two weeks with him,he was withdrawling from methadone so they put him on morphene a tiny bit every 3 hrs ,once they gave it to him he was fine,he eat better,gained weight right back ,everything was good,But then once he weighed 10lbs at most i had to wein him off of it, now since hes been off he does not sleep very good he is 7months now and is waking up every halfe hour through the night ,my husband and i get no sleep,we take turns sleeping on the couch every night so at least we get some sleep,Its bad .Other than his sleep he is fine,and he is at what he shouls be for a seven month old.thanx for listghening to my experiance

My son was born on a 135mg of Methadone to my sister, my husband and I chose to adopt him. He is now 6 years old, and above average in all he does. It is truly amazing. I dont think it would have turned out the same if she was using other things like alchohol.

I first have to give credit to Jesus, who went to the father on our behalf, God has truly blessed us and him, and my sister is still out ther using Methadone and such, but has seen the life we have given this child and thanks us . He has a Mom and Dad everyday,we adore him and are thankful to give him a safe and loving enviroment to grow in. He is the secont to the top reader in his Kinderguarden class.
He can sit still, has no issues what so ever, sleeps really well.

Many people were mean in jumping ahead and telling us, he would be in special ed, well he is now, it is quite the opposite. This chilld has
many gifts which we see already, he will be a scholar, so dont listen to everybody, they dont all know what they are talking about. And dont forget to ask the Lord to heal your child because he will

:)

My daughter was born 22 years ago addicted to methadone. We adopted her when she was 13 months. I think you will benefit reading this article. She is a loving. productive women. I think environment has a lot to do with the results of her development, and the article also hits on this. Please read and good luck. Love.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2571530/

HELLO,

I DONT KNOW IF IT WILL MAKE YOU FEEL ANY BETTER, BUT I AM 26 YEARS OLD AND MY SISTER IS 24. WE WERE BOTH BORN ADDICTED TO METHADONE. NOT TO BRAG, BUT WE ARE TWO OF THE MOST INTELLECTUAL INDIVIDUALS YOU WOULD EVER MEET. :) WE BOTH HAVE IQS OVER 130, AND ARE FAR AHEAD OF THE LEARNING CURVE AND ALWAYS HAVE BEEN. YOUR BABY WILL BE FINE, AND MAY END UP BEING THE TOP OF HIS CLASS. WE WERE ALWAYS STRONGER AND FASTER AND AHEAD OF EVERYONE ELSE IN OUR CLASSES. WE WERE AS BAD OFF AS YOU COULD POSSIBLY BE WHEN WE WERE BORN, AND WE ARE FINE, OUR CHILDREN ARE BRILLIANT AND BEAUTIFUL. DONT WORRY, I AM WILLING TO BET YOUR BABY IS BEAUTIFUL AND STRONG, AND IF HE CAN OVERCOME WITHDRAWLING FROM METHADONE, HE CAN DO ANYTHING!! XOXO

This message is to AMYKRISTINE2007:

Thank you so much for your post to the mother of a 4 month old born on methadone. I would love to ask you some questions since you mention that both you and your sister were born on methadone as well. I have a 14 month old baby born on 120 mg who is perfectly healthy and "normal" but I have so many questions about how, when, what I should tell my daughter when she is old enough about her experience in the NICU for 21 days to detox from methadone. I am curious how you feel about what you went through, what are your feelings toward your birthmother, etc. I think it's great that you support a positive outlook and for me personally, it was the best decision I could make of a very bad situation when I found myself pregnant and addicted to opiates. Not that I think she would love me any less, but what do you tell others about your history, is there any stigma that you experience as a result? You are the first person I've ever heard speak of personally experiencing such a thing as a baby and what your life has been like after.

Anything you would be willing to discuss is greatly appreciated!

Please feel free to email me at:

Thanks,
Stacy :)

***this post is edited by moderator *** *** private e-mails not allowed **
Please read our Terms of Use

This message is to AMYKRISTINE2007:
I have the same questions or interest as Stacy. She really said it best. My son is 2 1/2 yrs old. He is a true blessing to me. He is behind on his speech and has started speech therapy. I feel really awful about this. But I found out his dad had the same problem and never got any help. The therapist told me she thinks it heritary, but I still cant help but wonder. Again anything you would be willing to discuss would be greatly appreciated!!

Im mother to 3 boys, one of which is 3 in January and is in fact really my nephew. My brother and his girlfriend are both addicted to heroin and there child was taken off them and has lived with me since he was a year old. I'm sorry I know this isn't going to be a popular comment but I can't feel sympathy for addicts who have kids. I know it cant be an easy road trying to get clean but if you take drugs don't have kids?!?

I really only wanted to post in reply to flygemini don't let your guilt at using while pregnant cloud your judgement and allow people to talk you into things. I very much doubt your son needs speech therapy my eldest was not a good speaker atall until he was a good 3yrs 3 months old then it all came at once and he could be understood perfectly almost overnight. Now he never shuts up!

Wow thanks for your reply! I REALLY appreciate it and I'm going to take your advice! Thats really interesting about your son. Maybe it will happen with my little prince 2! But his speech therapy now is nothing but positive and he really loves it! He is learning alot while having fun! And I will continue to do everything I can to make sure he is raised well. He is a true blessing from God!!

My son and his girlfriend were both on methadone when my grandchild was born. He was in the hospital 3 weeks detoxing. He is now living with us. Father still using and Mother in jail, He is 17 months old.He is a very busy boy but like a lot of others he has a hard time sitting. Reading books right now is hard. He is not talking yet but he tries hard. My question is. Is he a drug addict now and will we always be dealing with addiction issues. He is a very loving and happy child.

i have 4 kids my 2 oldest were born when i was on a meathadone program. they are two very different boys. i has very low confidance the other is full of it. but i have started to notice that many children that have been born into this have turns in their eyes my two boys do.  doctors say that its heriditry  but nither my family or that of their father have that problem  throughout their family. like i said i see it as much as naerly 80 percent of  kids i. see . i blame myself for my kids problems. and no matter what people say i know its true. so if anyone can shead some light on that please do it would be intreasting to see if i right. more studies need to be done on the children for these longterm effects

:-)

I don't think there has been enough research done on the long term effects of methodone, if it was used as prescribed, low dosages, he may have a number of complications and he may not. Time will tell, just pay close attention to his developmental growth and make sure he meets his milestones, such as rolling over, crawling, holding his head up, etc.

Good luck, I pray your baby will be ok.