Have any people on here had a problem with swollen feet or lower legs after starting Suboxone..or maybe from stopping alcohol or pain killers?
My daughter has been in outpatient rehab for alcohol/narcotic addiction. She has been clean about 6 weeks...she has been started on Suboxone also. She had pretty heavy swelling in her feet and lower llegs for a couple weeks...and still has it...but it is less. Anyone ever have this problems from stopping alcooj\hol or drugs...or from starting suboxonee? she's also taking priozac..but has been taking that over a year.]
Thanks

You don't say what dose of Suboxone she is on.
Taking high doses of any narcotic over a long period of time can cause this type of swelling. This happened to me with oxycodone. Is she taking 16mg's or more a day. I didn't have this problem with Suboxone. I tried to keep my doses low. When I first started Suboxone, I started at 8mg's a day. Two weeks later I dopped that to 6mg's a day. If she is on high dose, Talk to her DOCTOR. Instead of looking for answers here.

Wish ya all the luck and GOD BLESS, you both.

I am looking for answers myself on this issue. 2 months ago I started to become very swollen on my feet, ankles, calves, thighs, hips, hands, arms & face. I had liver, kidney & heart labs done & they all came back normal so the only thing it could be is a combination of suboxone & hormones. It seems to get much worse near my cycles but never completely goes away. I've been on suboxone since 3/2008. Took 8mg's once per day for one month then switched to 2mg's split in half & taken twice a day. Maybe someone out there has a solution to this since I will be taking it long term for a chronic pain condition. The er doc did mention I could try cutting down on salt or ask my pcp if I should try diuretics.
:'(

Suboxone is listed as a class A (or class 1) narcotic drug, although the properties and chemical makeup of suboxone does not constitute the drug being labeled a narcotic. However, the FDA ruled that Suboxone should be listed as a narcotic drug because of the frequent abuse of the drug. Some users shoot up the suboxone, after melting it down into liquid form. Suboxone contains naloxone, a non-opioid antagonist, which counteracts and blocks opiates from being absorbed by opioid receptors in the brain. Basically, the naloxone is added to the drug in order to keep patients from abusing opiates while using the Suboxone. If a user of Suboxone abuses opiates while on Suboxone, not only can the affects be harmful to the brain, but in 11 cases since the drug's induction into pharmacutical practice, people have DIED from using opiates along with the Suboxone, due to the naloxone counteracting the opiates, and after the naloxone decipates and wears off, the opiates are still present in their original form, and are literally dumped onto the receptors in the brain, causing an overdose. The reason people shoot up the Suboxone is to get the effects of the actual Suboxone in the drug, not the naloxone. When melted into liquid form, the naloxone remains solid because of its non-water soluable properties. The participating user then removes the naloxone, and then injects the suboxone into the bloodstream. The point is, Suboxone is not entirely a narcotic drug, and with proper use, it is VERY effective in helping people who are addicted to pain killers overcome their addiction.

Just some info from an at-home MD.

Take care!

Part of what you said is not really true. The Naloxone is in the Suboxone pills, so that the abuser, if they were to inject the pill, which was disolved in water, would conteract the opiate Buprenorphine and also give the abuser a very unpleasent reaction. The Naloxone most certainly does dissolve and is designed to do so.

It is fully possible that because your daughter is on priozac (or did you mean Prozac?) that she is having a drug interaction. I know that a lot of people react differently to drugs so it is fully possible. Have you spoken to her doctor about the swelling and everything? It's worrisome regardless of whatever the cause is because that is certainly not normal behavior for the body. I wish you the best and I hope that your daughter recovers quickly. I'm glad to hear she has taken this first step.

Is it possible to have swollen & discolored ankles & feet due to long term use of suboxone?? I'd like to know myself, I've been on suboxone since 4/08 after 6 years of oxycontin. In the past year my ankles & feet would be full of edema if I slept in my recliner. A couple nights sleeping in bed and they would be fine. My x started commenting on the looks of my feet, she said I looked diabetic but I didn't pay it any mind, since when does she have anything good to say. Now I see it, always looking bruised but my blood work is fine. I'm ready to get off these meds and see how good I am w/o them....any advice

I have been on 16 mg of suboxone daily for the last 30 days and have also noticed a now painful or more discomfort with the feet and ankles swelling to the point of plus 2 edema in both extremities. My wife is a LPN and is also on the same suboxone program and doesnt have any of these side effects. My Dr's nurse didnt seem to concerned and even looked into the booklet to see if anything was listed as a side effect about swelling and didnt mention anything. Apparently the Dr. overlooked the note the nurse wrote in my file before he cam in or isnt really concerned about it. I will definitly make mention about it in my next appointment directly to the Dr.

I am looking for information about medical coverage seeing that I am unemployed with zero health insurance and am paying cash in order to stay on the program. Can anyone help me with information concerning health coverage for the unemployed?? Any info would be greatly appreciated. THANKS Richie

I have started on the suboxene and my feet and legs are swelling . I was on suboxene before and it was doing me the same way.I really dont think that it is the pain pills.

great info.... thanks doc !!!

I have been on 8mg since March 3. Within a month I noticed some swelling. By June I could no longer wear my wedding ring and a lot of my little socks. Hands are mildly swollen, ankles and feet are huge! Looks like after I had my daughter and puffed out into cankles for 3 days. That was the only time I have ever had this. I'm convinced it is a side effect for some, not all. Just like any SE. I am going down to 2mg for a week then stopping. So far, no reduction in swelling. It hurts so bad. No strength. Cant wait to be off of it. Any advice?? I had none of htese problems on my pain meds, which I am going back on. I have to stop this first then will restart those a day after...

Thanks for your help

Ask your prescribing physician for info on the suboxone assistance program. Each doctor can put a certain number of patients on this program (depending on the # if ppl he has on the drug). If there is an opening, you fill out an application, and hopefully you can get it free from the suboxone drug company's program.

You are all wrong. Naloxone is highly water souble and is put in the pill so that if you do try to shoot it it mixes with the buprenorphine wich is the opiate in suboxone. When used correctly under the tounge naloxone is minimally absorbed into the body. If you shoot the concoction then the naloxone will push opaites (if there are any present) off of the receptor sites causing precipitated withdrawal. On the other hand buprenorphine has the highest binding affinity to dopamine receptors and will also force weaker short acting opiates like heroin, oxycodone, or morphine off of the sites causing an even worse withdrawal. If you have no opiates in your system or only suboxone you can shoot the pill or film and have no withdrawal symptoms but also not much of a high. It is not worth injecting to most addicts because of the lack of euphoria achieved and only slightly higher bioavailability through this ROA. If you are truly a doctor and telling people this incorrect info about naloxone not being water soluble you should lose your licence. Suboxone is one of the strongest opiates available with the longest half lives of any opiod and should be prescribed with caution. Before anyone decides to get on this medication they should consider any other alternative because getting off of it is much harder than getting off of painkillers due to suboxones long half-life. withdrawals from suboxone last months and are copmprised of agonizing pain and total lack of energy, insomia and stomach issues. I have seen suboxone take terrible tolls on people who thought that they were getting on some miracle cure and its simply not true. The point is that suboxone causes long term withdrawals and there is no magic bullet. Ask your doctor before beginning this medication how many people he or she have succesfully been able to take off of it. I havent met one person yet who has been on it for more than a month and quit. it is a trap. if the drug company cared about getting people off of it then there would be a generic and more importantly other dose options available than two and eight milligram doses. What other medication do doctors tell you to break into crumbs to wean off of? NONE! Crumbs people! thats how powerful this c**p is. Dont get stuck. Hope I saved at least one peson from beginning this nightmare of suboxone addiction.

I have been perscribed 300mg of oxycodone a day for 6 months now and sometimes i will take a break and use suboxon tabs 8mg a day..i have also been suffering from swollen limbs legs and arms and at times i will wake up with my heels shooting with pain. I can not figure out what the cause is either. My hands and feet swell often and it cause an uncomfortable feeling. i am also looking for answers ?? does anyone else have there limbs swell up and is it from the oxycodone???

yes it is(almost the perfect solution for addicts with chronic pain issues)..but there is an unforunate side effect...Edema..I take it 3X's a day for pain and addiction..Chicken-sh*t doctors choose my fate..and i accepted..now i live with 1/2 my pain(which is great) but the amount of fluid im retaining is getting dangerous for me..my bloodpressure is way up..i cant sit for more than 10 mins without my feet swelling like balloons..and noone cares..I feel as though my life will be cut short from it..which is too bad..if anyone knows the answer for me..please let me know..i think suboxone in a C-lll